Escaping RPAs

Grouch

It's a valid question. Do the direct guys get a commercial rating that contractors require? 

No. Currently there is no military equivalency. Your RPA hours are worth jack F-ing shit.

18 hours ago, ILoveScotch said:

Reinforcements are on the way. [...] Attitude is everything.

Oh wow, thank God. All our problems are going to be fixed now that you're here. Whew guys, no need for further discussion. Thanks everyone!

4 hours ago, fox two said:

So, about a year ago we reduced CAPS from 65 to 60 due to manning requirements.  Now the manning problem is projected to go away.  I wonder what's going to happen...

I was shown a powerpoint slide at one point that said something like only 30% of the current demand for ISR taskings are able to be filled?  Maybe someone can correct me on the exact number, but I don't think demand is headed south.

Yeah I foresee Congress authorizing a CAP increase as soon as the Welsh reports manning is "pretty darn good". The ISR demand is insatiable and ground commanders are always asking for more coverage. I'm just hoping that I'll already have orders in hand by the time that happens. If not there's just going to be a huge manning black hole from which there is no escape.

3 hours ago, Grouch said:

Oh wow, thank God. All our problems are going to be fixed now that you're here. Whew guys, no need for further discussion. Thanks everyone!

Yeah I foresee Congress authorizing a CAP increase as soon as the Welsh reports manning is "pretty darn good". The ISR demand is insatiable and ground commanders are always asking for more coverage. I'm just hoping that I'll already have orders in hand by the time that happens. If not there's just going to be a huge manning black hole from which there is no escape.

If you were less of a douche, maybe more would consider switching to RPAs, possibly helping resolve the manning dilemma preventing you from getting back into a "real airplane".

Or you could keep calling it a black hole from which there is no escape. That'll help.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

If you were less of a douche, maybe more would consider switching to RPAs, possibly helping resolve the manning dilemma preventing you from getting back into a "real airplane".

Or you could keep calling it a black hole from which there is no escape. That'll help.

Quit trolling.

Side note:

i now see a lot of people with the same avatar. Mine got changed yesterday without my knowledge. 

Can I assume my case is not unique?  

Why crush a dude with a great attitude? I get that dudes are pissed and bitter but let him figure it out on his own. I did an assignment where two people before me didn't like it. Friends warned me off about it for both my career and family. For them it was no good. For my career aspirations and family life it was terrific.

Ilovescotch....there's a fine line between being naive and uninformed. Keep the great attitude but heed the warnings on this forum.

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2016 at 9:32 AM, ILoveScotch said:

People are pissed at you because you're discrediting all the complaints everyone has, and assuming the root of the problem is just an "attitude" issue. What are you basing that opinion on? You've already made it known that you're not in RPAs yet. Did you even talk to anyone before volunteering for this?

Are you suggesting that if people stopped hating being non-vol'd from manned and just simply started loving the work they're forced to do, then the community would magically turn around? Your ignorance on the situation is astonishing. I applaud you on your positive outlook, but please spare us your wisdom on the situation.

I think you earned this one Scotch.

1460577838563.jpg

Why crush a dude with a great attitude?

There's a huge difference between good attitude and dismissive naivety that manifests as douchebaggery. You sought opinions and wagered it was worth it, but I'm guessing you did the standard taking the opportunity to STFU, work hard, study, listen to experience, and learn during the process. That's the key.

2 hours ago, Grouch said:

People are pissed at you because you're discrediting all the complaints everyone has, and assuming the root of the problem is just an "attitude" issue. What are you basing that opinion on? You've already made it known that you're not in RPAs yet. Did you even talk to anyone before volunteering for this?

Are you suggesting that if people stopped hating being non-vol'd from manned and just simply started loving the work they're forced to do, then the community would magically turn around? Your ignorance on the situation is astonishing. I applaud you on your positive outlook, but please spare us your wisdom on the situation.

I think you earned this one Scotch.

1460577838563.jpg

No, I'm suggesting you quit with the sense of entitlement. You serve at the pleasure of the president. Right now, the president, via the chain of command, wants you in RPAs. So try and make the most of it. You want airplanes. Too bad. It's not about you. Some of us are trying to help by volunteering. Maybe we can get some more, if we don't talk about RPAs as being a leper colony. That's all I'm saying.

This shit should be obvious. We're supposed to be officers. This is leadership 101.

• Downvote 4

Actually he is right. How are we going to get anyone to come if people are always talking about how bad it is. Maybe we should delete some of these opinions so as to not scare new people away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

No, I'm suggesting you quit with the sense of entitlement. This is leadership 101.

Chang/ILS you should try that course again and pay attention this time. FWIW, your preachiness isn't a great leadership trait.

13 minutes ago, ILoveScotch said:

No, I'm suggesting you quit with the sense of entitlement. You serve at the pleasure of the president. Right now, the president, via the chain of command, wants you in RPAs. So try and make the most of it. You want airplanes. Too bad. It's not about you. Some of us are trying to help by volunteering. Maybe we can get some more, if we don't talk about RPAs as being a leper colony. That's all I'm saying.

This shit should be obvious. We're supposed to be officers. This is leadership 101.

I'm beginning to wondering if you really volunteered or your unit was just tired of dealing with a douchebag. The leper colony talk I'm sure exists but the most common complaints I hear are shift work, shitty locations, undermanning and few career opportunities because of the undermanning. I work with an RPA patch on a daily basis, it's been a good education experience into the community and it's a needed capability. I've eaten my words on occasion, but that's a bold move telling someone he has a sense of entitlement in a community you obviously have no clue about. 

Here's some leadership 101, the shit you spew about needs of the Air Force and chain of command wanting people in RPAs is irrelevant because when it all comes down to the baseline it's about people. The people are unhappy with the current state of the community and leadership isn't doing much to fix it. People will put up with a lot to make the mission happen but that only last for so long and requires a valid reason and inaction/lack of a plan on leaderships part is not one of those reasons.

Dude, I threw you a bit of a lifeline. I commend your positive attitude but you need to heed the advice to stfu and listen. Experienced guys are giving their gripes, don't discount them. I'm loving my USAF experience but I see dudes getting railed all around me so as someone who is happy, take it from me, there is a lot of truth being spoken here. Whether you dig it or not, you'll find out. But don't talk shit to experienced guys because whether you agree or not, you have Zero real insight. And don't ever ever EVER go spouting officer first at the pleasure of the president officer ship 101 outside ROTC or the shoe clerk 0900 PT session. I can't begin to tell you what a d-bag your post made you sound like. But keep up the great attitude. Best of luck.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Here's some leadership 101, the shit you spew about needs of the Air Force and chain of command wanting people in RPAs is irrelevant because when it all comes down to the baseline it's about people. The people are unhappy with the current state of the community and leadership isn't doing much to fix it. People will put up with a lot to make the mission happen but that only last for so long and requires a valid reason and inaction/lack of a plan on leaderships part is not one of those reasons.

It's not a democracy, that's what you need to figure out. I know we're pilots, and bitching is what we as a community do...all the goddamn time. But bitching will get you nowhere. Either vote by leaving when able, or stay and get promoted so you can try and make your small contribution to solve the problem.

Whether or not you are unhappy is secondary to the mission. That's just the way it has to be. When possible, leadership should fight for quality of life. But mission comes first, always has. Let's change the attitude and talk up the good parts of the job. I'm a pilot, i'm used to the bitching. But everyone else looks at us and wonders what our problem is.

Again, $150k/yr to fly droids overseas from the safety of our computer screens, blowing bad guys up every once in a while. No, it doesnt set you up too well for that cush airline job in the sky. Too bad. I'm a taxpayer, and I frankly don't give a shit if you don't get that airline job.

Meanwhile, much of the rest of the country is unemployed, underemployed and/or living in their parents basement. Get some perspective. Nobody owes you anything. The air force doesnt owe you an airplane to fly. That's the truth. Deal with it.

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, ILoveScotch said:

Meanwhile, much of the rest of the country is unemployed, underemployed and/or living in their parents basement. Get some perspective. Nobody owes you anything. The air force doesnt owe you an airplane to fly. That's the truth. Deal with it.

I had a reply typed out, but deleted it except to remind you that this isn't 2007 anymore. Please try not to come across as an institutionalized MSgt or you will lose all credibility to your audience, especially here.  The era of the USAF saying "lol if you don't like it get out" is over because people are actually getting out (for pilots, in record numbers.)

Here's some reading material: http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/23/news/economy/us-full-employment-williams/

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/local/sheppard-af-dealing-with-pilot-shortage-32953919-206e-55c1-e053-0100007fafc7-379165641.html

http://www.commercialappeal.com/business/FedEx-ramps-up-pilot-hiring-to-avert-shortage-378450511.html

Edited by xaarman
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ILoveScotch said:

It's not a democracy, that's what you need to figure out. I know we're pilots, and bitching is what we as a community do...all the goddamn time. But bitching will get you nowhere. Either vote by leaving when able, or stay and get promoted so you can try and make your small contribution to solve the problem.

Whether or not you are unhappy is secondary to the mission. That's just the way it has to be. When possible, leadership should fight for quality of life. But mission comes first, always has. Let's change the attitude and talk up the good parts of the job. I'm a pilot, i'm used to the bitching. But everyone else looks at us and wonders what our problem is.

Again, $150k/yr to fly droids overseas from the safety of our computer screens, blowing bad guys up every once in a while. No, it doesnt set you up too well for that cush airline job in the sky. Too bad. I'm a taxpayer, and I frankly don't give a shit if you don't get that airline job.

There is no sense of entitlement going on here. We're not asking for dream assignments to the beach or only to work between the hours of 9-5 M-F. We want to do the job we trained years to do and the taxpayer payed millions to fund. As a tax payer you should be pissed the AF is taking assets it spent tens of million to train and sending them to a job that could be done by 18x ers that cost probably 5% of what a manned pilot cost to train. How do you think that army SF or Navy seal reacts when they get sent to a desk job? They get bitter and pissed. No offense but flying a RPA isent that difficult.

Also, get a sense of perspective. This is a online forum where we can vent and sport bitch. When/If you make it a operational squadron you will see that many of us put on our happy face, go to work and hack the mish. Life isent always sun shine and rainbows. Stop being a douche  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ILoveScotch said:

Oh good another "if you don't like it leave" speech, just what I needed to see the light. For a dude that spouts of about leadership principles you have pretty shitty examples so far. It's not a democracy but that doesn't give leadership the right to abuse the people under their command (again leadership 101). Talking up the good parts of the job and ignoring the shitty parts isn't leadership, it's one of those cut rate traveling life coach seminars, "Focus on the good and everything will be ok". The mission will always come first and people have been bending over backwards to make it happen. But when people raise concerns leadership says "what's the problem? You accomplished your mission, so what's the problem?". 

I have plenty of perspective, you're right the AF doesn't owe me a plane to fly however, it does have an ethical and moral obligation to lead and care for its servicemembers, something it is not doing currently. 

1 hour ago, ILoveScotch said:

I'm a taxpayer, and I don't know where you keep getting this $150k/yr bullshit.  An O-3 with over 8 years of service makes about 72k base pay, plus another 19k for BAH in Vegas, plus 8k for flight pay, plus 3k for BAS.  So just over $100k/yr, before taxes.  How many O-4 and O-5 bonus-taking RPA pilots (the only folks approaching your $150k/yr nonsense) do you think there are flying the line?

33 minutes ago, ILoveScotch said:

As an recent O-4 bonus taker, I'd have to make $150k on the outside to pull in what I currently take home in net pay. Yes, that means you'd have to stay in...

Oh good an O-4 that's going to be shuttled up to the group/wing or ADO is really the "great reinforcements" that the guys getting crushed on the line need help from. I feel even worse that not only will you probably provide no relief but also will be some leadership position having demonstrated such great "leadership" views here on this board. But hey you're probably going to go far with the mentality you have since you're just drinking the blue koolaid by the gallon.

• Upvote 2