Online MBA-Who ya enrolled with?

chizz

Curious what the most popular choices are these days?  When I did mine 5-7 yrs ago it was Touro/Trident, AMU, and some others.  So if you wouldnt mind, who are you or your co-workers using these days?

12 hours ago, chizz said:

Curious what the most popular choices are these days?  When I did mine 5-7 yrs ago it was Touro/Trident, AMU, and some others.  So if you wouldnt mind, who are you or your co-workers using these days?

Personal view: an online MBA is a waste of time. If you need a square-filler for AF stuff, go do ACSC or ERAU or something.

If you are mentoring the pups, advise them that the real advantages of a MBA are classmates and on-campus resources. They'll get neither through an online program.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dupe said:

Personal view: an online MBA is a waste of time. If you need a square-filler for AF stuff, go do ACSC or ERAU or something.

If you are mentoring the pups, advise them that the real advantages of a MBA are classmates and on-campus resources. They'll get neither through an online program.

Your last sentence is a false statement.  Not all online MBAs are created equal.  Many of the AF square filler online degrees are exactly like what you speak of, but the world is a busy place today and there are lots of online degree programs that are challenging and filled with full-time working career minded students, just like those of us in the military.   I would argue that one of the biggest perqs of my "online" degree was the networking it built.  2 unsolicited job offers from on-line student peers (not the random headhunter crap on link'd in), and I have connections that I've used multiple times.  Bottom line, like everything, do your own research as there are pros and cons to both, but to dismiss all "online" MBAs as a waste of time is big false stereotype.  Many do fit that description though and I would completely agree that if this is for square filler purposes, ACSC, ERAU, Touro, and the like are all excellent choices at achieving the desired result with minimal time, effort, and $$.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 11F... said:

Many do fit that description though and I would completely agree that if this is for square filler purposes, ACSC, ERAU, Touro, and the like are all excellent choices at achieving the desired result with minimal time, effort, and $$.  

I got the square filler degree, which was an MBA, because TA covered all of it.  I had friends who went to schools like OU and had quite a bit more work to do offline.  I preferred the online learning environment over the brick and mortar places because my career field at the time allowed for long amounts of time on the computer.  I completed it all while I was at work in about 8 months.  When I got out, I applied for jobs and not one employer scoffed at my education level.  I've got a great job now, an even better beard, and am looking at getting a Doctorate Degree in the next few years with my post 9/11 GI Bill.  I think the real answer is that it depends on what you are trying to do. 

• Upvote 1

University of New Hampshire is pretty good for a fully online mba. If you live in the area, you can switch between in class and online seemlessly. I actually got one after getting my Air Force bs square filled degree. 

I did the Texas A&M Commerce MBA.  I wanted something AACSB accredited.  It was tough watching all the square fillers complete their degrees in record time.  I'm happy with it now, but it was certainly a lot of work.

On 5/6/2016 at 9:32 PM, Dupe said:

I started doing an online MBA from the University of Texas - Dallas, which also allows you to switch between in-residence or all online classes. 

Ended up moving next to the University of Washington when I left AD for the reserves, switched to the in-res program. Fully agree that the classmates/on campus resources make the loss of the online convenience worth it. 

Ha! I got an in-res MBA (nights and weekends) from U of AZ (3.8something GPA). Every job interview included a question along the lines of "ok, you have an MBA, but what do you bring to the table?" Needless to say, I'm doing the airline thing now. My MBA was a colossal waste of my GI Bill... haven't earned a penny with that $50k piece of paper and the education has atrophied.

"Who you know" gets you the job. Network, network, network. It definitely helped in getting hired at my airline.

If you need an MBA, your employer will tell you that you need one and will likely pay some or all of your tuition (like the 30 or so Raytheon "up and comers" in my cohort).

Don't waste your money on an MBA hoping it will help you get a great job. "Military officer" is the resume bullet that will get you the job. Networking and experience are everything.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Pancake said:

"Who you know" gets you the job. Network, network, network. It definitely helped in getting hired at my airline.

I can't second this advice enough.  When I got out, I thought I had a great job lined up, but it turned out to not be what I was looking for (100% commissions versus what they originally told me I would be paid) and six months of unemployment ensued.  I reached out to everyone I knew, and I really do not think that my education level was given a second thought.  Fortunately, I submitted my resume through the Wounded Warrior Foundation's Recruit Military program, and I got a call and accepted federal employment.  Again, not one mention of my education level, although it does play a part in the scoring system for applicants in the federal recruitment process. 

As far as letting your employer tell you to get an education, I somewhat disagree.  I enjoy challenging myself and going for an advanced degree.  There is some degree of discipline that I enjoy in getting the requirements completed in a timely manner.  I would like to do the same thing again, but I do not think there will be much benefit to any more education.   

I hear ya. I enjoy going to school as well. Looking at moving to a Guard Burea job so I can attend law school in DC.

However, all education should be treated as an INVESTMENT.  By all means, if a degree is going to pay for itself, go get it. I think a lot of us have unrealistic ideas that attending a school in the civilian world will propel us privately as in-res ACSC propels active duty officers. Just not true...

If you're going to pay for a no-kidding advanced degree, you absolutely must take advantage of every internship, apprenticeship, friendship, and network, network, network. That is the advantage of going to a brick and mortar school. Unfortunately, participating in meaningful internships, et al, is unrealistic considering the demands of active duty (especially flying). Generally, I would say that school rank is a reflection of their networking advantages (which translates to the wages graduates report in ranking surveys). Unfortunately, online degrees by their nature just don't offer these opportunities (ref: the $17k I flushed on a master's in Pol Sci from Norwich). Friends that attended HBS and Wharton AFTER separating have done very well, because they gained tangible business experience while attending business school.

BL: education is an investment. Invest wisely.

Edited by Pancake

wow. you guys really have a hard time of RTFQ'ing dont you?  I already have a degree, its not for acquiring another one but for something else.  How did this turn into a debate on in-res vs online and whether or not it is worth it?  Just wondering what the more popular choices are these days in order to perhaps apply for an easy adjunct professor position while i am sitting in a hotel for half my life.  

3 hours ago, chizz said:

wow. you guys really have a hard time of RTFQ'ing dont you?  I already have a degree, its not for acquiring another one but for something else.  How did this turn into a debate on in-res vs online and whether or not it is worth it?  Just wondering what the more popular choices are these days in order to perhaps apply for an easy adjunct professor position while i am sitting in a hotel for half my life.  

Does it really matter what schools people are "attending?" How about applying to the schools that are HIRING... TBPDQ.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, chizz said:

Didn't know your purpose in asking the question.  I got an online MBA and am an adjunct faculty member teaching undergraduate business in my spare time.  It's easy money, and actually pretty satisfying.  However, there are a lot of people attempting to teach, so there isn't always a course to be taught.  From the first time I applied, it took about a year and a half to get the call to start teaching online. 

On 5/10/2016 at 4:56 AM, Fud said:

Didn't know your purpose in asking the question.  I got an online MBA and am an adjunct faculty member teaching undergraduate business in my spare time.  It's easy money, and actually pretty satisfying.  However, there are a lot of people attempting to teach, so there isn't always a course to be taught.  From the first time I applied, it took about a year and a half to get the call to start teaching online. 

who are you teaching for?  ya my buddy works senior level mgmt stuff at univ of phx and said it takes a good 6-8 months to get certed.  wish i would have thought of it sooner