ANG/AFRES

Good Afternoon, 

I'm looking to fly for the guard, preferably fighters, but at this point I'll take anything. I'm currently a Space Operations Officer, been in for about a year and a half now. I have a 77 PCSM with a flawless medical and 62 flight hours. Will be getting my PPL when I get to Colorado. I also applied to cross train over to pilot, and will again this year. It just seems impossible right now so I'm not holding my breath...What I'm wondering, cause I really want to fly, will I have to wait to palace chase to join the guard or can they take my active duty commitment? I'm also wondering if anybody has a list of the units that are currently hiring and how I can start looking into joining. I looked on the guard site and did some research, and realized the site isn't fully up to date. Just trying to get more information and see where I can go with this. 

40 minutes ago, Flyingforce said:

I'm also open to the reserve as well. I'm just raising my hand waiting for someone to pick me up. 

I can't tell if this is ignorance or arrogance. I'll err on the former and say that waiting for someone to pick you up means you have less than a .069% chance of that actually happening.  Be proactive about calling units and talking to actual pilots in the squadrons. Find out if/when their next hiring board is going to be and do everything you can to either visit or on a drill or sometime during the week. At least on the Guard side of the house, we are hiring a bro for the next 10-20 years, therefore we want to know if you are a good dude or someone who will cause issues in the squadron. As a side note to that last statement, you are also interviewing the units you are rushing. If you don't mesh well with a group of dudes, why would you want to go work with them for the next 10-20 years? You said in your previous post that you've done some research but the Guard website is outdated. Noted. Find another avenue to get the info you desire (i.e. being proactive and calling up the units {sts}) Our Sq/CC gets a call, email, or application in the mail at least once a week. He will always answer questions about upcoming boards. I imagine most of the other Sq/CC's or DO's would be apt to provide that info free of charge as well.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mp5g said:

I can't tell if this is ignorance or arrogance. I'll err on the former and say that waiting for someone to pick you up means you have less than a .069% chance of that actually happening.  Be proactive about calling units and talking to actual pilots in the squadrons. Find out if/when their next hiring board is going to be and do everything you can to either visit or on a drill or sometime during the week. At least on the Guard side of the house, we are hiring a bro for the next 10-20 years, therefore we want to know if you are a good dude or someone who will cause issues in the squadron. As a side note to that last statement, you are also interviewing the units you are rushing. If you don't mesh well with a group of dudes, why would you want to go work with them for the next 10-20 years? You said in your previous post that you've done some research but the Guard website is outdated. Noted. Find another avenue to get the info you desire (i.e. being proactive and calling up the units {sts}) Our Sq/CC gets a call, email, or application in the mail at least once a week. He will always answer questions about upcoming boards. I imagine most of the other Sq/CC's or DO's would be apt to provide that info free of charge as well.

I think that was more of a way for me to say, i'm willing to do anything to fly at this point. I definitely will start looking into units; being proactive; start making some calls. Thanks.

This site usually has good stuff.

http://www.guardreservejobs.com/newjobboard/

There's also a handful of units that post a topic on this forum when they're hiring. Like the guys above said, it really varies from unit to unit. Some units will only be word of mouth, some units will post on on their unit's website, and some units will post on the above site. Your best bet is still going to be call the units you're interested in and talk to them directly. If they're not hiring, chances are they'll be able to tell you when they will be. Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dudes/Dudettes,

I'm Moab Dean, a Viper Driver for the Badger Air Militia in Madison.  We're having a UPT board this summer, and a social next month.  I'm trying to get the word out.  Please let me know if you're interested.

On 5/25/2016 at 10:15 AM, Moab said:

Dudes/Dudettes,

I'm Moab Dean, a Viper Driver for the Badger Air Militia in Madison.  We're having a UPT board this summer, and a social next month.  I'm trying to get the word out.  Please let me know if you're interested.

I will be sending a package in shortly. Unfortunately I wont be able to attend the social, but hopefully I will get lucky and be chosen for an interview. Good luck to everyone who's applying as well.

17 hours ago, klee0612 said:

I will be sending a package in shortly. Unfortunately I wont be able to attend the social, but hopefully I will get lucky and be chosen for an interview. Good luck to everyone who's applying as well.

Just a word of caution, if you get an interview there is a good chance they will ask why you didn't attend the social. Good luck but just be prepared for a question like that. Source: It has happened to me. 

2 hours ago, bb17 said:

Just a word of caution, if you get an interview there is a good chance they will ask why you didn't attend the social. Good luck but just be prepared for a question like that. Source: It has happened to me. 

This. If you want to join a unit, you need to do the leg work and make the necessary tradeoffs/sacrifices.