LMU vs USC AFROTC

pilot97

I am looking into joining AFROTC in the fall; however, since I will be a crosstown student and I will have the option of deciding between USC (Detachment 060) and LMU (Detachment 040). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to pick the most suitable detachment?

Edited by pilot97

I am looking into joining AFROTC in the fall; however, since I will be a crosstown student and I will have the option of deciding between USC (Detachment 060) and LMU (Detachment 040). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to pick the most suitable detachment?

What is LMU? Limnadia Memorial University?

• Upvote 1

LMU is a much smaller det, but generally had lower EA selections than USC from what they said. But, downtown LA traffic is absolutely terrible. I recommend giving the UCLA det a look, their EAs and rated slots are usually fairly high.

On 5/8/2016 at 1:47 PM, pilot97 said:

Thank you for all your input! What was voted #1 worse overall??? 

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-la-worst-traffic-20160314-story.html

LA traffic shouldn't deter you from picking a detachment, its merely another factor to consider when choosing and subsequently getting there once a week if you're a crosstown cadet. I had to sit in traffic for almost 2 hours after every LLAB which was very frustrating but in my opinion it was worth the benefit of spending every Friday at an awesome nationally ranked school surrounded by great classmates and thousands of gorgeous girls. Bottom line ROTC is what you make of it. Very few, if any detachments are mediocre enough that you can't grow as a person and achieve the goals you want. I spent time at 2 different dets and had vastly different experiences from each one. Its all about attitude.. sprout where you are planted and make the most of whichever one you end up at.

Do some research, find a det that best fits your needs and show up with an open mind ready to work hard. It can be as rewarding or as miserable as you want it to be. Yes being a cadet (especially underclassman) does suck at times but its only four years and you will learn a lot about yourself again if you are willing to put in the effort. Find a balance between studying and tearing it up on weekends just don't be stupid and break the law like getting a DUI and don't let your grades slip. The cadets that usually fail out (yes it happens) are the ones who don't find that balance and focus too much on one thing. I let my grades slip early on and it ultimately cost me a Field Training slot after 3 years of hard work. Also don't be the guy that only shows up to PT and LLAB then bails either, get involved in your wing and show them you truly want to be an Air Force Officer and work hard to get the scores to back it up.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding ROTC/LA dets.