What kind of "advanced" F-15 would you like to see?

14 hours ago, Huggyu2 said:

p.s. Spoo... is it HANDLES or HANDGRIPS?  I cannot remember  

I think TreeHoler is correct, so I fixed it.

BTW, I was going to go with EJECTION RING - PULL, but wanted something that was fairly common knowledge and indicative of my age-appropriate level of crustiness.

18 hours ago, HU&W said:

Fo Sho!  I've gotta go with the F-15 TC edition.  Best looking advanced type out there!

68020406.jpg

I'll probably regret this post, but am I the only one that doesn't get this? I mean I think that's a tennis court, hence TC, but how is this funny?

On April 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Duck said:

Tail gunners. When the Eagle first came out they were planning on having a tail gunner but instead ditched them to save weight. Worst mistake ever in my opinion.

Flight Engineers, to make sure the pilots run their checklists.

Edited by Azimuth

aside from the classic.

"chief, it's gonna be code 2, no video at all from the pod."

"sir, you don't have a pod."

there was this interaction,

*crew chief sees sta 5 ejector feet down*

"sir, did you have a pod when you left?"

"yeah, why?"

"it's gone."

"are you ing serious?!"

"yup."

"how would that even happen?"

"i dunno, epu clear?"

(cc meant 119, air crew was thinking litening)

On 4/29/2016 at 1:18 PM, TreeA10 said:

Embarrassing but not as bad as writing up something INOP that is not hanging on the jet..... Which I never did as far as you know. 

Working ARM end of EOR. Four ship of Hogs show up getting ready to do some sort of BFM stuff IAW the printed schedule. First two jets go cold gun. Jet # 3 wants HOT 500; um… OK that’s not what the schedule said but maybe there was a last minute change.  Then number four wants a cold gun as well.  So I speak up asking WTF?  Four gets three on the radio, 3’s face turns bright red and then gets visibly upset when the clue light comes on he made a major goof up.  So we go back to three cold up the gun and send the four ship on their merry way.  Sortie flow without incident.  However, I bet that night in the bar three purchased more than a round or two.  

Not exactly an F-15 suggestion, but along the lines of the post-flight write-ups...

U-Tapao, 1974: Pilot (Big John, not Tall John) lands his U-2, debriefs with the crew chief and writes in the forms "Aircraft flies sideways" (actually meaning out of trim and flies with a slight yaw), then closes the book and leaves.  Thirty minutes later, back at the trailers where we all lived, the Lockheed tech rep (Travis Mason, I believe, a great guy but not much patience and a poor sense of humor) storms in frothing at the mouth, looking for John, yelling loudly something about airplanes not being able to fly sideways and how can he clear such an idiotic write-up.  John was conveniently absent so after about 10 minutes of frustrated yelling he left. I think the maintenance super cleared it by writing " Straightened aircraft" or something similar. 

I have to add that Big John was not Travis's favorite pilot to start with. Earlier in the tour he noticed several of the older guys wearing similar black watches that looked nice (actually some early Japanese digital watches they got cheap in Bangkok).  Upon asking, they told him that they were "Lockheed U-2 watches" given by Lockheed to pilots who had flown operational missions. They told him to see Travis to get one.  Of course, there was no such deal from Lockheed, and Travis didn't know anything about the joke, but for weeks John bugged Travis about getting his watch. The other guys told him that Travis did have the watches, but was just slow to respond and you had to bug him a lot to finally get one.  Then came the "flies sideways" write-up and the Travis/Big John relationship went downhill from there.  Big Jonn didn't really care, but Travis almost wouldn't stay in the room or talk with John by the end of the tour.

• Upvote 3

You lost me when you said "Hog" and "BFM" in the same sentence...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A long while ago before Kenny Powers even had wet dreams about being a FAIP there was a BFM shootout with 15E's, C's, 16's and hogs. You didn't know what you were fighting til the merge, heaters and guns only. Hogs took 2nd place behind c models. There's something to be said about a 2k turn radius, hi turn rate and 480 flares. Not to mention a gun that has you in a wez when you think it's outside max range.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

A long while ago before Kenny Powers even had wet dreams about being a FAIP there was a BFM shootout with 15E's, C's, 16's and hogs. You didn't know what you were fighting til the merge, heaters and guns only. Hogs took 2nd place behind c models. There's something to be said about a 2k turn radius, hi turn rate and 480 flares. Not to mention a gun that has you in a wez when you think it's outside max range.

Was it also limited to level turns?

• Upvote 1

Yes, the A-10 is not an air-to-air God.  It is slow, it is underpowered, it doesn't have a radar, and it can't maneuver vertically....which is why so many of our high speed, pointy nose cousins get shot by them.  Bad assumptions lead to bad decisions followed by embarrassment.  There is no good reason any high speed, pointy nose type should ever be shot by an A-10 yet it happens.

My personal favorite was going 2v4 against F-15s out of Langley during their ORI.  All I had was a TOT and 30 flares.  Nothing like seeing that on a schedule thinking WTF???  Already had flares loaded but managed to get the remaining dispensers filled with chaff (420 bundles), found an E-3 that would be working nearby, worked a comm plan, and launched for Dare county range.  Inbound to our target, we killed the first two Eagles (2000 feet AGL, line abreast, against a gorgeous clear blue sky) and proceeded to put bombs on target.  The second two ship killed my wingman as we egressed.  They assumed they could get a look down AIM-9 face shot while forgetting we carried the same but were looking up.  Oops.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FishBowl said:

https://tacairnet.com/2016/05/23/boeings-new-2040c-eagle-commercial-is-incredibly-badass/

I couldn't resist a chance to bump this awesome thread. 

It needed a nudge... I'll raise you one...

DSCN5974a.jpg

Another hypothetical advanced Eagle, again in Japan's colors... 

Actually I'll change my vote... early concept eagle...

early-McD-F-15-1024x683.jpg

Edited by Clark Griswold
respect for your elders

https://tacairnet.com/2016/05/23/boeings-new-2040c-eagle-commercial-is-incredibly-badass/

I couldn't resist a chance to bump this awesome thread.

Boeing commercial:

Because in the future.... Front plate drag won't exist....

in A Boeing is doing the same thing with the F-15 that Grumman tried to do with Tomcat 21 and other l"ook how cool this could be" models. Only this time it's on YouTube.