Apply with These Scores or Wait? (Active Duty)

Rycast

Hey everyone,

I know this thread has been dead for a little while but I had a question for you all that I thought could be answered here.

It seemed like we all agreed on this thread that if you wanted you could only apply for a Pilot slot and not all the other rated positions. This was also what I heard from a recruiter the last time I spoke to one a couple months ago. However I have seen someone mention on a different thread that they may have changed the rules for this year and going forward to where you will have to apply to all rated jobs and if you decline any than you are no longer able to apply to future boards.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks in advance.

It depends if you are talking about the Active Duty Rated Board or an OTS Rated Board. The former is for guys that are already officers with an AFSC in the AF. The latter is for guys that are not in the AF (or are enlisted) and are trying to get picked up for OTS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the OTS Rated Board, you should be good to only apply for what you actually want, although I've never been involved with this board so I can only go off anecdotal data from others.

For the Active Duty Rated Board, I believe the rules changed that if you decline any position offered, you can't reapply. It's been years since I was involved with this board, so make sure to QC it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied to the OTS Rated board last year as a Pilot-Only applicant. I was accepted and am currently in OTS. You should be able to apply with whatever you want, but your recruiter may recommend against it based on your scores/application. Ultimately, it's your decision because it's your life. If he/she absolutely refuses, then find another recruiter.

• 1 month later...

FishBowl, what were your scores like, out of curiosity?

I finished and submitted a pilot-only application in June. My recruiter finally came around.

I'm supposed to hear back on August 31st (this Wednesday). I'm excited, anxious, conflicted, etc.

What is the notification process for civilians? I searched the boards for info; a lot of guys mentioned MyPers, which I've never used.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Reviving my dead topic again. I was planning on applying for Active Duty again, last month. My recruiter said it was too close and to wait for the next one.

Now it's time for the next one, but she basically has told me that she won't work with me unless I apply for all officer positions (not just pilot only). She said she cannot "make me a priority" if my goals do not align with the "needs of the Air Force." I tried contacting Air Force recruiting and they routed me back to her.

I'm weighing my options. I know I can get my PCSM up by retaking the TBAS. Can I retake it without a recruiter? I'm considering going along with her BS just so I can retake the TBAS, then apply to ANG units. I should have my PPL soon - then I might retake the AFOQT as well. But I'm 27 - turning 28 next April. If I do want to go active duty, this may be the AD last board I'm eligible for without an age waiver (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I apply for all positions and decline a non-pilot position, I'm assuming this looks bad for ANG units as well. Any input is appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Rycast said:

Reviving my dead topic again. I was planning on applying for Active Duty again, last month. My recruiter said it was too close and to wait for the next one.

Now it's time for the next one, but she basically has told me that she won't work with me unless I apply for all officer positions (not just pilot only). She said she cannot "make me a priority" if my goals do not align with the "needs of the Air Force." I tried contacting Air Force recruiting and they routed me back to her.

I'm weighing my options. I know I can get my PCSM up by retaking the TBAS. Can I retake it without a recruiter? I'm considering going along with her BS just so I can retake the TBAS, then apply to ANG units. I should have my PPL soon - then I might retake the AFOQT as well. But I'm 27 - turning 28 next April. If I do want to go active duty, this may be the AD last board I'm eligible for without an age waiver (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I apply for all positions and decline a non-pilot position, I'm assuming this looks bad for ANG units as well. Any input is appreciated.

That's B.S. that she's limiting you like that. There should be no reason for you to apply only pilot. I'd tell her that you feel like you have a shot and if you don't get picked up the first couple rounds then you're willing to add more positions. It's her job to move your application forward and seems pretty shallow for her to not want to help you out despite your goals. I'd tell her straight up about your plans and ask for her help, not her permission. If she's still insistent, then maybe look for another recruiter in a different town. As for taking the test without the recruiter, I'm not sure. There's got to be a way though.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rycast said:

Like the others said that's a bunch of BS. Pretty sure the AF needs pilots right now, absolutely do not let her sucker you into applying for all officer positions. Go take the TBAS again and apply for guard and reserve units, no need for a recruiter until after you get hired, and that's just to push paper work. She just wants her quota and could give a shit about your career or that you want to fly.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...