UPT weekends home?

Rhade

Question

I have been selected for a UPT slot with an ANG unit.  I am trying to make the difficult decision of whether or not to seize this opportunity.  In other circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to jump right in and sign the paperwork.  However my fiance (together 10 years) is a type 1 diabetic and has numerous health problems.  She is still young/healthy enough that she can take care of herself for the most part, but I would like to be there as much as possible for emotional support and she would stay behind if I left to support us financially as an engineer.

So my question is how reasonable would it be to expect to fly home on weekends while at UPT.  Again I would be in UPT as a member of the ANG so I would not be competing for my aircraft assignment.  I would love to hear from you guys who went through the UPT process.  Follow up question, how long is the gap between UPT and RTU (C-130s), out of curiosity?

4 answers to this question

Having been a upt instructor for 4 years, I would advise you to not plan to fly home every weekend.  There are a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, you may not know you're getting behind the power curve until it us too late.  I've had to counsel several folks that had washed out but failed to realize the impact their off duty obligations had on their training.  Unfortunately, because they thought they could handle it they also didn't tell their flight ccs until it was too late.   Secondly, if you have to fly home you will probably be outside the defined local area and may be required to take leave.  You most likely don't have enough leave accrued but I doubt the approving official would approve leave every weekend even if you did. 

I advise you to make your concerns known to your unit and if you go to upt make sure your flight ccs know about your issues.   Both your unit and flight ccs will be able to help you come up with a plan to meet your needs.  Good luck!

HeloDude, I think the afi states something about no mileage restrictions for passes (weekends off duty are regular passes) but allows other types of restrictions such as hours away.  I think it specifically allows training base commanders to place restrictions to ensure students are able to return in time to resume training.  This meets the msn requirement caveat.  I'm curious to hear if upt bases don't have a local area policy anymore.

Bottom line, Rhade needs to talk with his unit and supervisor about what is feasible for his situation.

Thanks,

Buenos

On May 24, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Buenos Diaz said:

HeloDude, I think the afi states something about no mileage restrictions for passes (weekends off duty are regular passes) but allows other types of restrictions such as hours away.  I think it specifically allows training base commanders to place restrictions to ensure students are able to return in time to resume training.  This meets the msn requirement caveat.  I'm curious to hear if upt bases don't have a local area policy anymore.

Bottom line, Rhade needs to talk with his unit and supervisor about what is feasible for his situation.

Thanks,

Buenos

Or you could just read the AFI...