"Local Area" Definition

Flaco

Doing a little research. Can you guys give me examples of what your WG/CC has defined as the "local area" for leave purposes?

If you could point me to where I can download your wing supp to AFI36-3003 or the written policy letter that would be even mo betta.

Thanks all.

Fighter squadron commander in USAFE defined it as 6.5 hrs drive or if you were taking a train more than 3 hrs (ability for a buddy to come pick you up and make it back due to the frequent train strikes) or flying anywhere.  But that was prior to the new leave reg edition.

Leave and pass is a commander's program. They can set distances and restrictions as they see fit. I remember at Keesler it was east or west to the state line and north as far as Hattiesburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's if you can get back in 12 hours for the RPA Squadrons at Holloman. We were told at some point Vegas is local area for the guys traveling back to see family on weekends or house hunt. Can't site pub though. Never read it or care to. Last AETC base was a couple hour drive. (6 is ringing a bell) 

34 minutes ago, Lstcause257 said:

Leave and pass is a commander's program. They can set distances and restrictions as they see fit. I remember at Keesler it was east or west to the state line and north as far as Hattiesburg.

Negative...there has to be legitimate mission reasons for this to be the case.  Sometimes this applies, more often times this doesn't (don't forget, not all squadrons involve planes/ops type people). 

Negative...there has to be legitimate mission reasons for this to be the case.  Sometimes this applies, more often times this doesn't (don't forget, not all squadrons involve planes/ops type people). 

By what reg? The reg actual statement is "The local area is the place where the member lives and from which he or she commutes to the duty station."

26 minutes ago, Lstcause257 said:

By what reg? The reg actual statement is "The local area is the place where the member lives and from which he or she commutes to the duty station."

I was commenting on the pass portion of the post I was responding to.

Leave and pass is a commander's program. They can set distances and restrictions as they see fit. I remember at Keesler it was east or west to the state line and north as far as Hattiesburg. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "local area" discussion applies only to normal and special passes. That quote is where you can start and end leave from.

If you exceed the limits a commander sets on a pass, you must be one leave or you are AWOL.

Leave and pass is a commander's program. They can set distances and restrictions as they see fit. I remember at Keesler it was east or west to the state line and north as far as Hattiesburg. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By what reg? The reg actual statement is "The local area is the place where the member lives and from which he or she commutes to the duty station." Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "local area" discussion applies only to normal and special passes. That quote is where you can start and end leave from.

If you exceed the limits a commander sets on a pass, you must be one leave or you are AWOL.

As the AFI reads now you are automatically on a "normal pass" on weekends/holidays/non-duty days (not to exceed 3 days at a time or 4 for a four-day holiday weekend, IIRC).

OK, I think I'm getting it.

Commander says local area is 4 hours drive time.

Member 1 takes family on short weekend trip 3 hours from home. Leaves on a Friday evening after work, returns on Sunday evening. No leave required.

Member 2 leaves on a Saturday for a destination 3 hours from home. Returns on Tuesday evening. Leave required Saturday - Tuesday.

Member 3 leaves on Saturday morning and drives 7 hours to destination. Returns Sunday evening. Leave required Saturday-Sunday because outside local area.

Do I have this right?

4 minutes ago, the g-man said:

Yeah that's right, except member 3 would only be charged 1 day of leave since they returned on a non-duty day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right, forgot about that. Ok, thanks all. I think I've got what I need.