Any rumors when the kc-46 will be operational?

Spaceballs

Nothing at all turned up when I searched for "kc-46" strangely enough. Has anyone heard anything about when they will be out and start dropping to UPT classes? Also are they replacing the 135 or the 10? I've always heard the 135 until recently. The argument was that the AF wants to shut down the kc-10 and flow those guys into the 46 since they're used to taking gas.

Edited by Spaceballs

someone dropped KC-46s in the last UPT drop (check that thread).  Search function has in the past had issues with searching for things that are three letters or less...not sure if that is still an issue.

If you asked if it was some sort of military training or at flight safety I would have told you I have no idea. I don't know if it is a full up IQT or some sort of basic airframe qual or a type through a civilian company. All I know is my buddy told me that they are going to training in the fall of this year. Quit being rude bro. Stop assuming things instead of fact seeking and asking questions. That's unbecoming of a SNCO.

2 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Copy, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Another thread that you guys make me LOL in.

http://www.afpc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123470944

The PSDM with the selectee list should be out early next week on mypers. The folks heading to McConnell and a few going to Altus will complete Type-1 (Boeing Contracted) training. Others will be the small group try out class at Altus. Training should occur in the next year.

Edited by GBock
  • Upvote 4

They picked the IOTE people over a year ago. What's funny is they wanted a smattering of experience (co's, AC's and IP's), but the process takes so long that the co's and AC's they selected are now AC's and IP's.

This jet isn't going to replace the KC-135. Augment them maybe. I don't even see it being involved in the Global Strike mission. It's hard to believe, but there are some advantages using 60 year old equipment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Gazmo said:

They picked the IOTE people over a year ago. What's funny is they wanted a smattering of experience (co's, AC's and IP's), but the process takes so long that the co's and AC's they selected are now AC's and IP's.

This jet isn't going to replace the KC-135. Augment them maybe. I don't even see it being involved in the Global Strike mission. It's hard to believe, but there are some advantages using 60 year old equipment.

IOT&E selects from last year were released around October and told to recompete at the February call for applicants. 

• Upvote 1

Sad to read about delays and other issues with the KC-46.  I retired after 28 years in the AF in 2014.  This program was suppossed to have a 767 based tanker flying in 2007!. I hoped to accomplish an Air refueling with one before I retired and it's pathetic that The AF and Boeing has screwed up this program since the early 2000's.

Boeing doesn't care about this contract. It's chump change compared to what they make on airline sales.

This tanker deal was much more delayed by a terrible procurement process and scandal.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-racing-clock-to-deliver-18-kc-46-tankers-by-n-422356/

Only two aircraft currently flying in support of FAA type certification and aerial refuelling demonstration and the first KC-46A recently passed fuel to an F-16 and F/A-18 and then received fuel from a KC-10. The developmental tanker must now refuel an AV-8B, A-10 and C-17 to satisfy a “milestone C” decision review board that had planned to convene in April, but is now tracking toward early May.

Asset Image

Asset Image

Milestone C is the decision for Low Rate production... Looks like it is going to be delayed because of problems with the Boom:

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2016/March%202016/March%2016%202016/Goldfein-KC-46-On-Track.aspx

There have been issues with some boom axial loads, but Goldfein said, “we think we actually have the software fix in place.”

It's only software, right?