Homestead ARB/SOCSOUTH Info

Cooter

Looks like I may be heading to SOCSOUTH post CGSC and was wondering if anyone has current info on where to live and any other pertinent info.  Crime I see as the big issue around Homstead and the Miami area in general. Kendall (south Miami) seems to be one area but most stuff points towards gated/patrolled neighborhoods. Thanks for any info. 

Cooter

15 hours ago, Cooter said:

Looks like I may be heading to SOCSOUTH post CGSC and was wondering if anyone has current info on where to live and any other pertinent info.  Crime I see as the big issue around Homstead and the Miami area in general. Kendall (south Miami) seems to be one area but most stuff points towards gated/patrolled neighborhoods. Thanks for any info. 

Cooter

6 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

2 on this, just found out I'll be headed there this summer as well, any info is appreciated 

Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, reticulous said:

Any fighter pilots gotten an assignment for summer VML? Matching was supposed to be done earlier this week.

are you trying to hijack a thread that's solely about Homestead and SOCSOUTH?  Pretty sure there are more appropriate places for you to post your question.

Cooter, I don't know anything about Miami, other than the city is awesome but you'll need to stay strapped near Homestead.  Why don't you reach out to Fozzy Bear?  He left U-28s for some kind of cush contract tanker pilot gig in Miami, and has been there over a year.  I can link you on FB if you don't know him personally.

ill be jealous and lonely in Norfolk!

Thanks, Hoss! Now about Homestead:

The area around Homestead is okay. Coral Gables, Doral (about 20 minutes away) and Miami Springs are nicest, more expensive, and have the best schools. Avoid Hialeah (which would be a hike, anyway). Kendal has some nice parts and stuff to do. Dadeland has a World of Beer.

If you want to be close to Homestead, try to stay East of the Interstate.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2016 at 8:39 PM, reticulous said:

No hijacking intended. I just haven't posted before, and so I don't think I have permissions to start a new thread?  Maybe I'm wrong about that, in which case, please tell me.

Anyway, sorry. This thread (about a new assignment) seemed more appropriate than the alternative threads (f-35 clusterfk, three star stupping his suboordinate).

Use the search function to find a thread that's already created related to fighter porch stuff.  It's not that hard.  The pinned thread at the top of this page "READ THIS FIRST!!!!" goes into great detail about using the search function and not creating a new thread if there's already one about the same topic.  I haven't searched for your topic since it's not a topic I have interest in, but I can definitely recall several threads related to fighter assignments over the years I've been on this board.  Good luck with the search function!

Edited by stract

If you have a family, the Keys Gate Communities are close to the base and have decent school choices but the prices and fees are high. BAH is pretty high as well, so it should be a wash. If you're single or no kids (or very young kids), the Mandarin Lakes development in Naranja has less expensive homes and fees and a great clubhouse and pool, but it is a patrolled neighborhood, not gated like Keys Gate. Chapman Elementary in Naranja is passable, but the middle and high school are not very good. Crime is not bad in Mandarin Lakes as long as you use common sense. Alarm company services are included in your community fees. Both of these areas are within 5-10 minutes of base and have good access to the highways and shopping. The best reason to stay further south than Cutler Bay/Kendall area is quicker access to Key Largo and the rest of the Keys. Depending on your circumstances you might like to be farther north for access to the Miami night life. There's advantages to both.

On March 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM, tac airlifter said:

Cooter, I don't know anything about Miami, other than the city is awesome but you'll need to stay strapped near Homestead.  Why don't you reach out to Fozzy Bear?  He left U-28s for some kind of cush contract tanker pilot gig in Miami, and has been there over a year.  I can link you on FB if you don't know him personally.

ill be jealous and lonely in Norfolk!

Forgot about him moving down there, yeah would appreciate it. 

Cooter

• 1 month later...

I was stationed there for a few years recently. What stealth said is pretty much spot on about places to live near the base. I never had any issues with violence or crime in homestead, however property crime can be an issue depending on where you live.

I knew people who lived as far north as coconut grove, and as far south as key largo (both about 30 minute drives) without any issues. If you are single, seriously consider coco grove. 

If you have more questions shoot me a pm.