RPA in the AFRC

Ka1ax

I'm wondering if anyone has any stats on people who were selected for an RPA pilot slot in the AFRC. 

AFOQT
Pilot: 90
Nav: 99
AA: 86
V: 98
Q: 64

PCSM: 51, 0 flight hours, Civ App

I don't have any of the stats but keep in mind, based on some post-board comments from past board members and AFRS, that there are at least 15 scored sub-categories, bunched fairly equally into 3 major categories (Education/Aptitude, Experience, and Potential/Adaptability), that are part of the board scoring process.  Of those 15 or so, only a couple involve actual hard numbers (GPA, AFOQT, PCSM) while the rest are somewhat subjective evaluation of things like experience, education type/class content, LOR comments, previous job experience, interviewer comments, communication skills, etc.).  Drawing conclusions based simply on numbers may reveal information about only 15-20% or so of the boards scoring (if there are roughly 15 sub-categories, then each would only be about 7% of the total, although on any given board the actual weight may shift slightly based on needs).  I've seen applicants with very high AFOQT and PCSM scores be non-selects, and others with scores below 20 get selected.  Don't get fixated on the numbers.

• Upvote 1

Awesome, thanks for that!  While on topic...it seems like the AFRC/ANG don't have many RPA units.  What happens if down the road I get sick of living at said squadron, is it even possible to switch?

I'm also wondering if RPA pilots go through UPT or the abbreviated drone URT.  It would make sense that the Air Force would want the flexibility of having a fully trained pilot that's gone through UPT...

Numbers look good for a RPA slot. Rumor mill is the guard/reserve is having some trouble recruiting. Far as the UPT vs URT it depends on the unit. I would expect URT but some units send dudes to UPT.  (I know Syrucuse does UPT for most guys) And yes you could switch if your unit lets you go. If you go to UPT you could have the option down the road of going back to a manned asset. 

• Upvote 1

Slowly answering my own questions...this is an excerpt from the ANG posting in Syracuse:

Upon ANGRC approval, member enters a three year training program to qualify and perform as an MQ-9 Air National Guard pilot. The following schools are mandatory for successful completion of the Pilot Training Program:

1. Screening Physical - Brooks AFB, TX (3 days)

2. Academy of Military Science (AMS) - MAXWELL AFB, AL (6 weeks)

3. Initial Flight Screening- Pueblo Colorado (5 weeks)

4. 11U Track- Undergraduate Pilot Training (T6/T1) – Location determined by ANG (52 Weeks)

5. 18X Track- RPA Instrument Qualification & Fundamentals Course – Randolph AFB, TX (14 Weeks)

6. MQ-9 Transition Training – Holloman AFB, NM or Hancock ANGB, NY / March ARB, CA