Air Force PHA to civilian equivalency

Spaceballs

You could call every FSDO in the country and you'll get a different answer. The simple truth of the matter is that all the equivalency items, including medical and cert/type rating, are predicated upon official records showing that the member is a military pilot. A DD2992 is not an official record of your status as a military pilot. A DD2992 coupled with the AF475 from pilot training or a Form 8 checkride is a different story.

Show me where it says you have to be a rated military pilot vs student pilot. The same thing holds true of civilian pilots. Is a civilian student pilot not a civilian pilot? Yes they are. They have the same third class medical certificates as certified or rated civilian pilots. Again rating is not tied to this requirement. Just that you need to be in some status of a military pilot with a corresponding medical. Until I see otherwise it doesn't seem that your argument of official documents (which are cited nowhere in the FARs that I can tell) are required to prove that you are a military pilot for the purposes of having the pilots version of a medical and be on some status as a pilot. Even more reason of the FSDOs don't agree to then take it to the people who write the regulations and ask instead of making up requirements.

• Upvote 1

Ask the flight doc. One of ours is an AME and can do class 2 & 3s.

If the flight doc isn't qualified to, or no other docs in your clinic or flight medicine aren't qualified to give FAA medicals, it has been my experience that they know nothing or next to nothing about the topic.

Why spend the money with them when if you are a DSG flying for the airlines you need a class 1 anyways or you get an equivalent class 3 by just having your medical?

Class 2 does almost nothing for people doing what we are doing. You don't even need a class 2 to civilian flight instruct so why bother with spending extra money for it?

I i threw out this path as an option because it is free and the OP wasn't asking about getting a FC1 for the airlines.

Ask the flight doc. One of ours is an AME and can do class 2 & 3s.

If the flight doc isn't qualified to, or no other docs in your clinic or flight medicine aren't qualified to give FAA medicals, it has been my experience that they know nothing or next to nothing about the topic. Why spend the money with them when if you are a DSG flying for the airlines you need a class 1 anyways or you get an equivalent class 3 by just having your medical?

Class 2 does almost nothing for people doing what we are doing. You don't even need a class 2 to civilian flight instruct so why bother with spending extra money for it?

I i threw out this path as an option because it is free and the OP wasn't asking about getting a FC1 for the airlines.

Ah. Gotcha. The flight docs I knew of charged. That's cool then to get it free.

On 3/9/2016 at 9:23 AM, ThreeHoler said:

Not an official record. No AOs.

my AOs started within a week of starting UPT.  I know the OP won't have AOs if he hasn't started pilot training, but you DO have AOs while you're in UPT (or at least you did 14 years ago).

You're right. I was thinking of 1X published with the award or the basic pilot rating. 1U for UPT studs.

I'd still argue that the SURF is not an official record (since most of them say "not official" on them). Maybe a vMPF duty history. Definitely an AF 2096 or the AOs would be an official record. At the risk of poking the bear, I'll keep digging and see what I can turn up as to the "intent" of the words "military pilot" in the FAR.