Air Force PHA to civilian equivalency

Spaceballs

I saw the flight physical counts for flying general aviation now. Is it the initial class 1 or the yearly PHA that counts for it? Also, does the CSO PHA count for flying GA? I'm trying to figure out what exact piece of paper I need to carry with me and if I need to do a civilian medical or not.

CSO does not count.  Annual does count. 

61.23.b.9

(9) When a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and—...

Yes, they're different.  Class 1 vs 1A.  Vision standards are different, and I'm sure other stuff.  48-123 if you want to read it for yourself.

Ask a FSDO about the FC1.  My gut is no because you're not a pilot.  You'll probably get a blank stare from the FSDO, though. 

I've gotten mixed answers so far. The CFIs I've asked think I'm good to go. I'm a former CSO on casual status waiting to go through UPT, so I've passed the FC1. I guess my main concern after really thinking about it is that it says it applies to a "military pilot". I think the conservative route is to just go get a new class 3.

4 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

I saw the flight physical counts for flying general aviation now. Is it the initial class 1 or the yearly PHA that counts for it? Also, does the CSO PHA count for flying GA? I'm trying to figure out what exact piece of paper I need to carry with me and if I need to do a civilian medical or not.

You may be referring to the fact that IFC I physicals at Wright-Patt will also issue an FAA class 3 if the individual meets the qualifications.  I'm not aware of any other times this is done.  It just happens that the flight docs at Wright-Patt are AME's and all of the FAA tests are done as part of the IFC I process.  So they figure why not go ahead and save folks the time and money and issue the certificate.

61.23 b9

(9) When a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and—

(i) The flight does not require higher than a third-class medical certificate; and

(ii) The flight conducted is a domestic flight operation within U.S. airspace.

I'm just going to play it safe and go get a class 3. I want to make sure I'm 100% covered in that area in case something does happen. $80 or whatever it costs is worth the peace of mind to me in case it's interpreted differently if the time happens to come when it matters.

I think student pilots are military pilots. It's in your title. You are in the military and a pilot just not rated to fly anything yet and you have a valid medical. Civilian pilots don't need to be rated to have a medical. But I don't know if there is an FAA glossary somewhere that defines the military pilot. I would call the local FSDO.

Sorry threeholer. Your reference backs my claim because 61.73 makes a distinction between rated military pilot and military pilot.

Remember that medicals operate independently of if you are rated or not. You had to have one to be a student pilot in both the civilian and military world. And in fact since he is in the military and a pilot his medical should suffice unless another reference denying that is to be found. Thanks for your help.

I'm sure that there are people who would disagree. However if he is only seeking his medical to count as an FAA medical then it seems perfectly legit. However since he is not rated he can not yet go after his commercial equivalency. Make sense?

Ask the flight doc. One of ours is an AME and can do class 2 & 3s.

If the flight doc isn't qualified to, or no other docs in your clinic or flight medicine aren't qualified to give FAA medicals, it has been my experience that they know nothing or next to nothing about the topic.

Why spend the money with them when if you are a DSG flying for the airlines you need a class 1 anyways or you get an equivalent class 3 by just having your medical?

Class 2 does almost nothing for people doing what we are doing. You don't even need a class 2 to civilian flight instruct so why bother with spending extra money for it?

• Upvote 1

I just talked to the FSDO and the answer got even more convoluted. He wasn't sure how exactly it would be interpreted. I have the same medical as any other military pilot, but it depends on who would be the one deciding the meaning if something happens. He recommended talking to an AME. I called one and he didn't know either. I think I would probably be ok, but it's not worth the risk of getting in trouble before UPT starts. I'll just side with being conservative and get a class 3. Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by Spaceballs

Nobody wants to be held liable for reading the publications they wrote. I would recommend calling the FSDO back and getting a number for someone in Oklahoma City who could make a more definitive ruling. I still think it's not worth spending your money on.