AFROTC scholarships

Is it possible to get a scholarship while you are in AFROTC? I really don't think I have that great of a chance of getting a scholarship going into college, but I know I'll be working hard during college. So I was Just curious if this the Air Force did this for cadets?

Yes. In fact from what I remember it was easier to get one after a year of being a good cadet, keeping up your grades, taking leadership roles in the wing etc.

Unless things have changed in the past 2 years (which they probably have) there are scholarships available to ROTC cadets that are either tech or foreign language majors. The are very few, if any, set aside for nontechs. However, there are a handful that are awarded by the commander based on merit, so its definitely possible.

Yes, In College Scholarships (ICSP) are available. The majority of them that I have seen have been awarded to freshmen in their second semester and 250s in their second semester as well. Both tech and nontech, I know at least 4 in my det alone who were given nontech scholarships last Spring. There's also the Commander's Scholarship, given out by the Det Commander to a high performing person that they think is deserving.

• 2 years later...

I know this is old but have a question regarding scholarships. This might be good info for anyone thinking about scholarships. I was on a type 1 scholarship and then didn't get picked up for field training and was disenrolled. To receive the scholarship you sign a DD form 4/2 enlistment form. As I said I was disenrolled and now years later I'm going Air force reserve and trying to get to MEPS but they said I am prior service. As far as I'm aware you aren't actually in the military until you graduate and commission. Is this true or did signing the contract change things? 

I'm currently an AFROTC Det CC.  I don't believe you should be considered prior service but I could be wrong in terms of how the Reserves look at you and on the medical side.  When you contracted for the scholarship, you did enlist in the AF Reserves as an E-1, 2, or 3 depending on some factors.  However, that was not active service time.  When you were disenrolled, the contract was terminated and that should have been it.  Now on the medical side, to contract for the scholarship, you would have been deemed medically qualified through the DoDMERB process.  I believe that qualification would have expired by now as you said this is now years later.  With some luck, maybe you won't have to go to MEPS and can just get the DoDMERB updated.  Possibly that DoDMERB qualification is still viewable in the Reserves system and that is why they are saying you are prior service?  I'm just guessing at that but I do know that Recruiters/Units/etc can have bad or not current info and use it to make bad decisions.  I recommend to keep pressing the issue and possibly ask to talk to someone higher up if you are still getting the runaround.  If at one point you were qualified for an AFROTC Type 1 scholarship, deemed medically qualified by DoDMERB, and now you have a degree, the Reserves would be very lucky to have you.   If I may ask, what unit are you trying to join and what career field?  

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it's one of those situations of bad information and/ or bad assumptions but I was picked up by a KC-135 squadron as a pilot. I had the dodmerb physical back in 2010 and was told I had up go to meps which I expected but now after dealing with meps issues for a couple months now they finally said I am clear to physical and gave me a date and they cancelled a couple days later. I'm not prior service but I'm not sure how to convince meps of this since I have dd256 and signed form 4 on record.