Mandatory Muster in the IRR?

FLY6584

I am a 2014 VSP recipient that separated on Dec 31, 2014 and subsequently entered the IRR. I recently received a letter from AFRC informing me that I would be receiving orders soon to report to Patrick AFB for a "Mandatory Muster" in May. 

What is this all about? Has anyone else out there who has received the VSP been forced to attend one of these "Mandatory Musters"?

Will I be paid for this? If I have to drop a 3-4 day trip at my airline job to attend this I will definitely lose a lot of money.

Participation in the Annual IRR Screening (Muster Duty) is mandatory by Title 10, United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 12319. The Muster will consist of collecting personnel and medical data. During this period of duty, Airmen are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Failure to appear when ordered, or misconduct while on duty, may result in appropriate disciplinary or administrative action being taken. Airmen who are no-shows will be directed to provide a written response to HQ ARPC/CC not later than 10 working days from receipt of the no-show letter. They WILL NOT receive point credit for Muster participation.

Participants will receive a payment of approximately $176 for participating in the Muster.

30 seconds of Google. http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/About/FactSheets/Display/tabid/310/Article/365496/muster-information.aspx

Also http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/ServiceCenter/Guard-ReserveFactsheets/FactSheets/Display/tabid/310/Article/581114/reserve-categories.aspx

Hmm... I was in the IRR from '97-'01 after my enlistment. I never had to muster, I never heard anything from anyone. In fact, I didn't even realize I was ever in the IRR until I commissioned in '04 and I was getting credit for my IRR time on the pay scale.

Either the rules have changed, the enforcement of the rules have changed, or you got hit with something random. I'd go with option B in threeHoler's quote and wait for the no-show letter. Just make sure that you can cite a work obligation on your written response.

I got hit with this my first year on IRR but not since. They ordered me to must in Colorado, I called and told them I live in NY now and they said ok you don't have to go to Colorado. A week later I got new orders to muster in NY. It was a huge waste of time when I went. There was supposed to be a VA rep to talk about benefits but they were a no show. It was really just 3 hours of the Reserve unit trying to recruit people to sign up as a full time reservist. They said nothing applicable to an officer, they thought everybody in the room was an E-4 or E-5 and they spent the whole time talking about how if you join their SF unit they have lots of slots for E-7+ so you could get promoted. I brought my laptop and did real work after I signed in. Nothing but a reminder of all the worst parts of being in the military all rolled into one morning.

"Participants will receive briefings on...career opportunities..." (1) (read also stop loss and pool of potential recruits) 

five monopoly bucks says they push hard on recruiting and offer returns to AD and do out of cycle FC1 medical checks on aircrew  

1) Google. http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/About/FactSheets/Display/tabid/310/Article/365496/muster-information.asp

2 hours ago, Swizzle said:

"Participants will receive briefings on...career opportunities..." (1) (read also stop loss and pool of potential recruits) 

five monopoly bucks says they push hard on recruiting and offer returns to AD and do out of cycle FC1 medical checks on aircrew  

1) Google. http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/About/FactSheets/Display/tabid/310/Article/365496/muster-information.asp

1. Thread.  8 posts up from yours, link already posted.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, FLY6584 said:

I am a 2014 VSP recipient that separated on Dec 31, 2014 and subsequently entered the IRR. I recently received a letter from AFRC informing me that I would be receiving orders soon to report to Patrick AFB for a "Mandatory Muster" in May. 

What is this all about? Has anyone else out there who has received the VSP been forced to attend one of these "Mandatory Musters"?

Will I be paid for this? If I have to drop a 3-4 day trip at my airline job to attend this I will definitely lose a lot of money.

You got scolded over on APC for a similar post, so I guess I'll do it here.

You got paid to get off active duty early, right?  There were a few strings attached to those dollars, but you decided those strings were better for you than staying on active duty and the USAF was happy to oblige.  You also knew all the IRR responsibilities and possibilities for future service when you took that money and signed all the paperwork detailing the specifics.  Now you have some minor responsibilities to meet and you come on here bitching about losing a little airline pay.  YGBSM!!

Good grief, it's in May.  Bid around it if you can.  Trip trade to deconflict or mil drop if you have to.  Pick up an extra trip between now and then if you need the coin that badly.  Bottom line - suck it up, dude.  Plenty of us here mil dropped airline trips worth thousands for drill weekends worth hundreds month after month, for years.  Others got activated for extended periods, left their airline and took a serious monetary hit for 6 months.  They probably could have come on here and gotten some actual sympathy but they didn't bother.  They sacked up and did what they committed to do.  Your pu$$y hurts over one IRR muster two months from now?  You should be able to figure out how to make that happen with that much warning - don't ya think?

You want to get some info about what to expect that day or some "been there" guidance from the bros - that's what we're here for - ask away.  Coming on here and whining about losing some money is some real SNAP BS.  I hope you're embarrassed - because you should be.  Rant over.

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Upvote 6