Next Chief of Staff

Harpy

17 hours ago, ClearedHot said:
When I answered AC-130's his smile, disappeared he replied "oh", and he turned around and walked away...never spoke to me again.  It was such an odd interaction that it stuck with me for the last nine years.

What's ironic and sad is that he was saved by SOF aircrew when got shot down.  I know the guy who was the flight lead on that rescue, as well as some of the guys in the other aircraft--good dudes.  But hey, he gives that squadron a bottle of Blue Label every year on the anniversary, so I guess it's cool.

19 hours ago, Huggyu2 said:

Discus, I must agree wholeheartedly with you. 

There can be no Substitute in the CSAF role for a true visionary... one that can see for miles and miles. And while battling with the politicians, he must ensure our ability to provide airpower anyway, anyhow, anywhere. 

The news slows, people forget, the shares crash, hopes are dashed.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, ClearedHot said:
So do I, but I am still an asshole.

Call me jaded but I will not stand and clap for this one...not yet anyway.

Probably unfair to bring up the association and situation with his brother, but within context it does have some bearing.  For those that don't know his brother is a retired two star who was punished in the time of Moseley for unethically helping to steer a $49M contract to Gen Hornburg's company shortly after he retired as the ACC commander (well within the 1 year cooling off period).  I mention it because Fingers wrote a book called Sharing Success and Owning Failure, in the book he uses and quotes his brother's leadership style as a shining example of  "providing the vision and setting the environment" of command.

A personal interaction with him a number of years ago also gives me pause...in short, while I working as a senior level exec in the puzzle palace then Col Fingers (who was at the time the Holloman Wing/CC), came into the office with his Codell delegation.  In those glorious days we could still wear flightsuits even in the most senior offices.  The congressmen went in for a private meeting with the boss before the formal meeting and Fingers stayed outside with me.  I saw him look at my WIC patch and he walked up to make some chitchat because he thought he knew me from somewhere (in his defense I am a powerful and attractive man), he was asking how long I had been in the job and where I was before this assignment, I told him I came out of the ASG program and he was all smiles and asked about the program.  After that he again looked at my patch and said what platform did you go through in?  When I answered AC-130's his smile, disappeared he replied "oh", and he turned around and walked away...never spoke to me again.  It was such an odd interaction that it stuck with me for the last nine years.

Can't say I will care much after I walk out the door in a month, but for those still around I would check six.

The Jumbotron debacle. Remember it well. Goldfein Jr's book is as worthless as Creech's TQM book was.

Funny you mention when he was HMN WG/CC, as he had taken that job just as I was coming up for assignment out of that Wing. Was meeting with him for PRF purposes and I distinctly remember him looking at my records and asking why I didn't have any kind of joint time and why all my schools were by correspondence. Forget the fact that I spent most of my career prior to the 49th being deployed. He seemed to think that I hadn't been applying myself well enough. When I explained how being constantly rotated didn't allow for much in the way of doing anything in residence, his specific quote to me was "You know, Robin Olds types would never survive in today's Air Force". While a sad fact, the fact that he seemingly supported that, instantly made my decision for me to 7-day opt. Whereas I thought I'd get some nuggets of wisdom for why I should stay in the AF, I really got a great example of why it was indeed time to leave.

SAASS, SAMS, SAW (not SAWS), and JAWS

MAWS calls itself ASG...but it is not.

Hate to disagree but straight from the regs "Advanced Studies Group (ASG). The ASG programs are advanced level education programs that are not considered as IDE/SDE credit-awarding programs but fill an important role in educating the AF‘s senior officers. ASG programs include: SAASS, Maritime Advanced Warfighting School (MAWS), School of Advanced Warfighting Studies (SAWS), and School of Advanced Military Studies (SAMS)."

Worked directly for him as a MAF guy when he was CENTAF CC. Treated me no different than the carnivores. Expected results, told me (privately) when I didn't deliver and didn't dwell on my past mistakes. Everyday was a new day new jet. Class act guy that I'd work for again given the chance. CSAF job is very political. Budget, budget, budget. Not to be cynical, but no one can win in that job given the political environment and fiscal constraints. It's like being a SOF in AETC, you can't win, you can only hope to break even.

I agree, Moose. Until we get a new SECAF (maybe even president), the CSAF is going to get railroaded.

Can you imagine a Secretary James / Hillary Clinton combo!

I agree, Moose. Until we get a new SECAF (maybe even president), the CSAF is going to get railroaded.

I think it goes farther than that. There are 535 in congress and 8 in the Supreme Court that can't agree on the color of the sky. Things are more divided than ever along party lines. Our governing documents aren't perfect, but far better than any other country in the world. Just seems like things are at an ideological crossroads and getting worse. The 2 POTUS front runners are the most polarizing ever

Would that even qualify as "2 chicks at the same time"? Gross. I'll bet Bill could, and has imagined it though.

11 hours ago, Moosepilot said:

I think it goes farther than that. There are 535 in congress and 8 in the Supreme Court that can't agree on the color of the sky. Things are more divided than ever along party lines. Our governing documents aren't perfect, but far better than any other country in the world. Just seems like things are at an ideological crossroads and getting worse. The 2 POTUS front runners are the most polarizing ever

While your viewpoint it valid, your history is not.

Jefferson vs. Adams I

Jackson vs. Adams II

Johnson vs. Goldwater

are likely the most egregious examples of polarizing candidates that divided the country.

We can leave the 1860 election of A. Lincoln and the resulting secession of South Carolina, et al, for another time.

We'll be fine, generally, regardless of which POS is elected President.

Where we have gone wrong, IMHO, is the fact that both current political parties have ignored their constituencies and become entirely self-contained units.

We have the Democrat liberals and the Democrat-lite parties, both intent on lining their own pockets, never mind what we mere peasants say or want.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Jefferson vs. Adams I

Jackson vs. Adams II

Johnson vs. Goldwater

are likely the most egregious examples of polarizing candidates that divided the country.

We can leave the 1860 election of A. Lincoln and the resulting secession of South Carolina, et al, for another time.

Most of us weren't around back then.  Good to see you still remember it like it was yesterday. :beer:

• Upvote 6

On May 1, 2016 at 0:41 PM, Lstcause257 said:

Hate to disagree but straight from the regs "Advanced Studies Group (ASG). The ASG programs are advanced level education programs that are not considered as IDE/SDE credit-awarding programs but fill an important role in educating the AF‘s senior officers. ASG programs include: SAASS, Maritime Advanced Warfighting School (MAWS), School of Advanced Warfighting Studies (SAWS), and School of Advanced Military Studies (SAMS)."

The regs may say they're the same, but MAWS is essentially an NCSC elective that adds two months to NCSC whereas the other three schools are 11 months and entirely distinct from an IDE program.

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2016 at 10:53 PM, Muscle2002 said:

The regs may say they're the same, but MAWS is essentially an NCSC elective that adds two months to NCSC whereas the other three schools are 11 months and entirely distinct from an IDE program.

SHACK!  Results proven time and time again.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:26 PM, ClearedHot said:
while I working as a senior level exec in the puzzle palace then Col Fingers (who was at the time the Holloman Wing/CC), came into the office with his Codell delegation

I bet you're the guy that says "PIN Number, CAC Card, and ATM Machine" too.

On 5/4/2016 at 11:47 AM, Spoo said:

I bet you're the guy that says "PIN Number, CAC Card, and ATM Machine" too.

Look at the big brain on Spoo...send him to war college and he becomes the acronym police...what's next, off to the Deid to measure socks?

• Upvote 4

Sock measuring? Please...that's F-ing amateur hour. This is Army War College, we're at the varsity level of queep enforcement. TRAIN TO TIME, NOT TO STANDARD!

Edited by Spoo
What, we can't swear on here now? Total BS.
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, General Chang said:

Get excited; our future is in good hands, Airmen.

Roger that shipmate!

Two thumbs up for this selection.  He will continue the great works started by Gen Welsh.  Get excited; our future is in good hands, Airmen.

Don't you mean "good fingers?"