Next Chief of Staff

Harpy

So if Goldfein is going to be the next CSAF, what 11F GO is going to command USAFE when Gen Gorenc retires?

From what I know, Lt Gen Holmes is a likely candidate for PACAF, but USAFE is another option for him.

The Game’s Afoot: Hyten Now for StratCom; Golden For Air Force Chief

COLORADO SPRINGS: Well, until a few hours ago most reporters and their Air Force sources thought Gen. John Hyten was a virtual lock for nomination as Air Force Chief Staff.

Now, my best source on this stuff says the current vice chief, Gen. David Goldfein, is the likely successor to Gen. Mark Welsh. If selected and approved, Goldfein would be the first CSAF to have flown a drone: He was a Reaper pilot. Hyten, the source says, should be heading to lead Strategic Command. (Kudos to my colleague John Tirpak at Air Force Magazine for breaking this story.)

My source noted both men are “top notch,” adding: “However, we are fighting in the air, and the Air Force needs a chief who on the basis of his experience can offer the President air warfare alternatives, as well as fight in the Tank (where the Joint Chiefs and their chairman meet for highly classified discussions) with the Army and Marine four-stars with 10 combat tours over what those military options ought to be. John will be just as, if not more, influential on the role of space in the military at STRATCOM as he would be as CSAF, so this alignment is win-win for all.”

(Full story at title link)

On March 19, 2016 at 0:07 PM, mcbush said:

Wouldn't mind reading up on some of those stories if you're willing to share them.

Sure, and sorry for the delay.  In Iraq circa 2006/7 the Army's #1 airlift request was getting stuff flown into Taji.  There was a lot of fighting around Taji.  I did a bunch of -130 deployments to Balad, and one day I happened to be the guy picked to fly the AMC/CC around the AOR.  I asked him why we weren't flying into Taji, being that Army commanders at LSA Anaconda (Balad)  were always asking us the same question, being told to call AMD, and subsequently being told no.  He told me that he owned the pushback against authorizing us to fly into Taji, and he was extremely proud of it.  Army helos were regularly taking SAFIREs IVO Taji, and he believed he was protecting his people (me) by denying the request.  "Why would I make you fly somewhere unsafe?"

But the Army had to resupply and operate out of Taji.  It's in the heart of the Sunni triangle and at the time, security in that area was crucial to US strategy.  Because AMC refused to fly into Taji, the task was left to Army helos and ground convoys.  They are significantly more vulnerable to attack.  It's pretty hard to hit a herc on a Pen-D with an RPK.  It's not hard to use an EFP on some 21 year old kid driving truck #23 of a huge convoy.  By embracing risk aversion for his fleet that AMC commander put more people in greater risk.  Stated another way: his risk aversion didn't actually decrease risk, it merely forced another to accept it.  And the people forced to accept it were far more susceptible to the dangers.

When I pointed this out, I was completely blown off with a sarcastic comment about how his priority was my safety..... Etc.. It's a foul philosophy.  There's absolutely nothing special about me and I'm sure a lot of dudes reading this have similar tales; but I hope this story illustrates the principal I was attempting to convey.  

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone expect a major change in policies, strategy, etc...?  

Air Force Times mentioned he was the first CSAF (when confirmed) to have crewed an RPA, besides that, he seems similar to most of the previous CSAFs (careerwise) in the past 30 years.  Not a swipe at him but is he capable or demonstrated a willingness to change the status quo when it is needed?

8 minutes ago, Azimuth said:

He has two DFC's, with Valor. Legit.

No doubt - no passive aggressive or implied bullshit against his credentials, I read his bio and his flying record/hours, assignments, awards, commands give me confidence that he is a solid leader but I am interested if he is thought of as an innovator or reformer.  

I don't think things have to be changed completely when someone new comes into an office, keep what works change what doesn't and have the wisdom to know the difference between the two.  But it is obvious (at least in my opinion) that the AF needs serious change (new priorities in procurement, officer development & career focus, massive reduction in bureaucracy at all staff levels, etc...) going forward.  Just wanted the forum's opinion if Gen Goldfein will change the vector.

You are right on his legit ops cred:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/08/12/how-the-air-forces-new-no-2-officer-survived-getting-shot-down-over-serbia/

11 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Is it sad that in my mind I read the "shot down over Syria" part of that link, combined with earlier comments that he had flown RPAs, and immediately thought to myself, "They shot down the Predator, I wonder how that feels...Did he go get a cup of coffee..?"  Anyway I digress..

Let's hope he can start to right the ship because we're taking on water at an alarming rate and far too many are headed for the lifeboats.

I've been lucky enough to fly, work, and talk with Fingers on a few different occasions. He's definitely one of the few who "get it" and understand captain level concerns. Let's just hope he's given a little more leeway by Congress to make the long term changes we need.

Regardless, I believe he's got the right vector in his heart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

1 hour ago, Bergman said:

Is it sad that in my mind I read the "shot down over Syria" part of that link, combined with earlier comments that he had flown RPAs, and immediately thought to myself, "They shot down the Predator, I wonder how that feels...Did he go get a cup of coffee..?"  Anyway I digress..

Let's hope he can start to right the ship because we're taking on water at an alarming rate and far too many are headed for the lifeboats.

True, we have an insidious decent below MDA while simultaneously slowing below ref, the time is now to fix it.

Pontificating into the ether, if I were an incoming CSAF and trying to keep this hypothetical contained to the realm of the possible, focus on few key changes and ignore the rest:

1 - Allow for specialization in officer career paths - Line, Staff, Leadership with appropriate development, education, career goals and gates to guide each.  This would lead to a policy level change of the AF for the implementation of "Up or Out".

2 - Develop a WO program geared to recruit from the Enlisted cadre to fulfill growing missions or highly specialized, highly technical fields that do not require a leadership/management role requiring a regular officer's commission. 

3 - Change the philosophy of procurement to allow some high end "silver bullet" fleets but white elephants will be avoided. 

15 hours ago, Azimuth said:

He has two DFC's, with Valor. Legit.

So do I, but I am still an asshole.

Call me jaded but I will not stand and clap for this one...not yet anyway.

Probably unfair to bring up the association and situation with his brother, but within context it does have some bearing.  For those that don't know his brother is a retired two star who was punished in the time of Moseley for unethically helping to steer a $49M contract to Gen Hornburg's company shortly after he retired as the ACC commander (well within the 1 year cooling off period).  I mention it because Fingers wrote a book called Sharing Success and Owning Failure, in the book he uses and quotes his brother's leadership style as a shining example of  "providing the vision and setting the environment" of command.

A personal interaction with him a number of years ago also gives me pause...in short, while I working as a senior level exec in the puzzle palace then Col Fingers (who was at the time the Holloman Wing/CC), came into the office with his Codell delegation.  In those glorious days we could still wear flightsuits even in the most senior offices.  The congressmen went in for a private meeting with the boss before the formal meeting and Fingers stayed outside with me.  I saw him look at my WIC patch and he walked up to make some chitchat because he thought he knew me from somewhere (in his defense I am a powerful and attractive man), he was asking how long I had been in the job and where I was before this assignment, I told him I came out of the ASG program and he was all smiles and asked about the program.  After that he again looked at my patch and said what platform did you go through in?  When I answered AC-130's his smile, disappeared he replied "oh", and he turned around and walked away...never spoke to me again.  It was such an odd interaction that it stuck with me for the last nine years.

Can't say I will care much after I walk out the door in a month, but for those still around I would check six.
Edited by ClearedHot
  • Upvote 5

I think it's scary that he'll be able to implement stop loss and avoid blame by pointing fingers at the previous administration. Welsh had nobody to blame but himself, and I'm jaded enough to think that their calculus included that consideration. 

17 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I think it's scary that he'll be able to implement stop loss and avoid blame by pointing fingers at the previous administration. Welsh had nobody to blame but himself, and I'm jaded enough to think that their calculus included that consideration. 

Thinking about that makes me want to go wrap myself in my DD-214 blanket.

I'm gonna hold off on hopes and dreams until the next CSAF proves himself after this current administration's stellar performance. You know, that whole fooling me twice saying...

6 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I wonder if he's any good at pinball?

Whether he is or isn't doesn't matter, from the view of those in my generation. 

We just need to be sure we won't get fooled again. 

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 5

Discus, I must agree wholeheartedly with you. 

There can be no Substitute in the CSAF role for a true visionary... one that can see for miles and miles. And while battling with the politicians, he must ensure our ability to provide airpower anyway, anyhow, anywhere. 

• Upvote 2