Next Chief of Staff

Harpy

1 hour ago, Duck said:

You are obviously being sarcastic, but to answer your question anyways.

No. It only got difficult when the AF decided to put new engine pods on them. GE (?) told them to put the gearbox on the side of the pod like you see on modern day 737s (would cost around $10K more per jet IIRC) but the Air Force would rather just scrape pods and then hang the crews. Cuz that's leadership.

Navy pals on the E-6 are always scraping the inboard pods. 

1 hour ago, dream big said:

Is McDew the dude that took away the C-17 pilots' wings even after the FEB recommended retention (while McDew was either 19th AF/CC or AMC/CC)? 

No that was the infamous General Johns also the one that court martialed the McChord crew for the airdrop fatality. 

No that was the infamous General Johns also the one that court martialed the McChord crew for the airdrop fatality. 

Weren't they found not guilty?

One resigned in lieu of court martial. Another's life / family situation was fucked up for about two years throughout the whole process.

On March 21, 2016 at 10:28 PM, ThreeHoler said:

One resigned in lieu of court martial. Another's life / family situation was fucked up for about two years throughout the whole process.

Not 100% sure but I think that person was allowed to stay in after the court martial against the other pilot came back "not guilty".

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Gen Goldfein.

I didn't think going from Vice to Chief was a thing.

Not history Friday, but: Hoyt Vandenberg, Nate Twining, Curt LeMay, Tommy White, J.P. McConnell, John Ryan, Lew Allen, Larry Welch, and Buzz Moseley. I'd say it can be done. 

TT 

• Upvote 1

That would be cool - especially as he hasn't even mentioned a possible contender - not even as unlikely backup choice.  At least that I've seen anyway.

8 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

It will be Fingers...

7 hours ago, busdriver said:

Gen Goldfein.

I didn't think going from Vice to Chief was a thing.

So what happened to the rumored OSD/SECAF initiative to display diversity in the next CSAF selection?  Seems like another old white male fighter pilot to me. 

Other than the fact that it's not McD, I'm not sure what there is to get excited about.  Things can certainly get worse (McD), but how is Goldfein or anyone else going to make things better?  Current CSAF was handed a shit sandwich and did very little to change course--some would argue things have gotten worse.  If nothing else, the last few years have taught me that the bureaucracy of the Air Force makes it almost impossible to make lasting change.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Other than the fact that it's not McD, I'm not sure what there is to get excited about.  Things can certainly get worse (McD), but how is Goldfein or anyone else going to make things better?  Current CSAF was handed a shit sandwich and did very little to change course--some would argue things have gotten worse.  If nothing else, the last few years have taught me that the bureaucracy of the Air Force makes it almost impossible to make lasting change.

The point you're missing is that in Welsh we had a CSAF who actually gets the problems and was unable to affect meaningful change.  It could be much, much worse.  I was in USAFE when Welsh sent out his "Dear Boss" email and then came and talked to us.  Before that talk, I always thought the Generals were just clueless or just out of touch.  Trust me, Welsh understands the problems, he is just sadly powerless to fix them.  Of course he bows to political pressure on all the social engineering BS, he has to if he wants to have any chance of getting the funding he wants from Congress, or even talk to them about important issues without being overrun with sexual assault questions from Gillebrand. 

Was Welsh perfect, far from it.  My biggest gripe is why the hell are we still doing so many 365s?  There are many others.  Seeing Welsh's performance over the last 4 years has convinced me that no one can make it better.

I think Goldfein will at least minimize the bleeding and damage caused by the next round of politicians, whoever they may be.   I hope CH is right.

• Upvote 1

One of my insiders says Carlisle is no longer in the running (this is contrary to one of my previous posts about 8 months ago). They say Hyten's camp is awfully quiet, and that's usually an indicator. This is not very exciting news IMHO. I'd much rather have Goldfein. But then again, I would rather have Goldfein as a COCOM CG or Joint Staff Vice/Chairman as opposed to CSAF. The USAF needs more representation at the GO level in Joint positions.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, 11F said:

One of my insiders says Carlisle is no longer in the running (this is contrary to one of my previous posts about 8 months ago). They say Hyten's camp is awfully quiet, and that's usually an indicator. This is not very exciting news IMHO. I'd much rather have Goldfein. But then again, I would rather have Goldfein as a COCOM CG or Joint Staff Vice/Chairman as opposed to CSAF. The USAF needs more representation at the GO level in Joint positions.

More buzz around Hyten...

http://www.defenseone.com/management/2016/04/air-force-general-space-war-chief/127437/