How much time between different phases of training?

bb17

What happens between different phases of training - i.e. the gap between OTS and UPT, or UPT and survival school, or whatever. How long are these gaps typically? Would I just remain at my home station during this time?

Edited by bb17

Are you AD or Guard/Reserve? 

AD you will got to OTS and then PCS to your UPT base and be on casual status(you sort of work) tell your class starts or you tell you go TDY to IFT. Sounds like most people right now have about a month form OTS graduation to IFT start.

Guard, you will go home tell your orders say that you go to your UPT base. I graduate OTS beginning of March and start UPT at the end of April so I will be home for a month not on orders. 

Reserve, I think you stay on orders and go straight to your UPT base in between classes but I am not 100%. 

The time line is probably time of year dependent, I think it gets a lot longer after ROTC and USAFA graduate. 

PM with other questions and I can ask around. 

Yep I'll be Reserve. My primary residence is actually a couple hours from UPT so ideally I can just chill out at home between different phases of training. For those that remain on orders and at a UPT base, what do they do?

Reserve won't show up to UPT until the day prior to class start. If for some reason you were at the base for more than a couple weeks (like all the AD guys), you'd get a casual job and shuffle papers from one stack to another a couple days a week.

When I went through, all the guard/reserve in my class were -135 bubbas so they left the day after graduation and had start dates at Altus within a few days. They went to SERE following Altus, which is not normal for AD, which does SERE and then any B course stuff (in any airframe, not just -135s).

Since you're reserve, your timeline/wait between big events will be much more compressed when compared to AD, where they spend more time waiting than in actual training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new process for Reserves, per the 340th, is that you'll PCS to UPT directly after OTS (with 6 days of leave in between). Then you'll be at your UPT base until your class starts. That's the best/most recent info I've been given to date.

• Upvote 1