Leave As Casual Lieutenant

12xu2a3x3

mods feel free to delete this if you feel it belongs in a more general topic or if i missed one that already exists.

What is the policy for taking leave as a Lieutenant on casual status, awaiting a UPT class date? Is it any different because of AETC or training status? I ask because it was generally not approved when I was an enlisted MRA MX student back in 2011.

Free to take leave IAW whatever AFI governs it.  You're not in a formal course yet, and you'll be relatively useless as a casual LT, thus easy to let go on leave.  Only caveat I remember from those days was wether they would let you take leave you hadn't accrued yet - e.g. you go into a negative leave balance, but you'll make it back during UPT.  I think it was SQ/CC approval required.  That may also have been a Squadron/base specific thing - I wouldn't count on something like that, but doesn't hurt to ask if you find yourself in that situation.

We were free to burn as much leave as we pleased, cutoff was 10 days out from class start date, after that leave was a no go except for Christmas or family emergency type deals. 10 Days prior you start doing all your medical stuff and getting the admin bs done. Negative leave was only approved for emergencies or Christmas break if you just got on AD. 

2 hours ago, slackline said:

You guys had to take leave? Maybe things have changed 13 years ago they usually said something like, "We'll call if we need you...". Needless to say, I was never there. I did get stuck with planning the dining out. Last one I've attended.

Must have been the good ole days. Everyone gets a job now that's not going to start within a few weeks. I sat around 7 months waiting to start. It sucks, but hey, I got paid a great salary to fax some papers and browse the Internet. Some assholes played the system and got caught literally across the country when they were suppose to be manning their desk. One person shits, everyone gets a diaper. 

• Upvote 1

thanks for the great information. they tell me that i probably won't have much in the way of time as a casual but i'll believe that when i see it. as far as sitting at a desk for six months goes, i've been on the flightline for a long time waiting for a slice of nonner pie.

FYI casuals are not really useless anymore. APTers (casual studs) are crew chiefs, admin across the base, and working actively. You can take leave but I don't want people thinking the aren't doing anything for months on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Downvote 3

APTers (casual studs) are crew chiefs

Pretty sure this is not the case, anywhere. Driving the bread van doesn't make anyone a crew chief

I don't want people thinking they aren't doing anything for months on end.

Giving 10% of them jobs (most of those jobs exist just so leadership can say exactly what you are) doesn't mean they're doing anything useful. Unless things have changed drastically, casual LT's are very much doing nothing for months on end

• Upvote 2

So crew chief may be beyond what they do. However, they do a lot of leg work to help out where units are suffering. Honestly though they do a shit ton more work than I ever did as a casual for nine months. I checked in a few times a week and that was the end of it.

• Upvote 1

i'll marshall jets or drive bread truck, but i really hope a detailer never tells me "the super needs the the can jet FMC by the end of the day"

It would take about 23 years just to get the parts to get the can'd jet FMC with the current supply system.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I did RAP when I was a filthy casual at Whiting. It was a good deal for sure. I pretty much used it go home, but you can go anywhere with it I think. No reason burning leave when you don't need to. You should be able to get out of AETC with a fairly large chunk of leave stashed...which you can then look at forlornly as you never get a chance to use it.