What are my chances? Got my PCSM back the other day

gthsd87

My ultimate goal is to become a mobility pilot with an ANG unit, but am open to the AFRES, and lastly AD. Here are my stats:

P/N: 93/93   PCSM: 71   Hours: 36(w/ solo endorsement)   Prior Service(6yr AD, 3yr Res)   3.43 Grad end of year w/ BA    20% VA Disability: GERD(no meds, diet controlled), Tinnitus(Rgt ear, only around loud noises, doesn't effect me in the cockpit currently)    Age: 28, but non-commissioned and I'll be 30yo in SEP2017

What are my chances?

• 2 months later...

You need to start rushing your preferred ANG unit asap and get into OTS (unless you have already finished that process?). You have to be selected for UPT by age 29 and both the guard and OTS process for rated selections can be quite lengthy. Your stats resemble mine and I got a UPT slot in 2015 for FY16; time is what you need to be focused on here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I am trying to get in anywhere really. Most units say I look good on paper, but the age, and not having my degree finished scare half of them off. I am visiting a couple of Ohio units soon. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed for age waivers!

Who selected you? What airframe? What is the time between your interview, and starting UPT?

Ditto what 2016UPT stated. Get out there now and do what you can.

I interviewed with a unit summer of 2012 (age 27), received training dates summer 2013, officer school winter 2014, UPT summer 2014, graduated UPT 10 days before 30th bday in 2015.

However, why it took so long to get my training dates was the Gov't shutdown. But classmates at UPT (guard/reserve side) averaged about 2 year"ish" from interview date to UPT start date. May not be what you want to hear but that's the truth. 

Did have a few guys over 30 at start of UPT but had age waivers (both were former aircrew and was told their bases fought to get those waivers)

Mine is just one, of many, different scenarios/timeslines it took to get into UPT. Hope it helps and best of luck

Note: since age isn't on your side and if you do get an interview, be sure to read through the interview questions thread on baseops. I read that front and back and all those insights are spot on with what they look for: good work ethic and good dude to hang with greatly outweigh perfect grades with shitty personality. A lot of great info on this website that I used to, luckily, get selected. 

• Upvote 1

I went the ROTC route with active duty commission, so won't know airframe until graduation. I'm moderately versed in the guard/reserve path because a lot of my colleagues. Chem_teacher nailed it on the time between commission and class dates (about two years). Chem_teacher also is right on par with saying every scenario is different and pertinent to individual situations; as well as the 'good dude' comment. Guard and reserve units are a very close-knit fraternity, you've got the numbers for aptitude so the big thing is meshing well with their family. If you present yourself right and they want you in their unit, they'll get you the age waiver. Just keep up the fast pace to get something locked in, and do your research! You'll do great, try not to stress it too much. Before you know it you'll have your self a slot and think 'it was too easy.'

• Upvote 1