AFRC Stoploss

41 minutes ago, Gazmo said:

Imagine having to deal with all that stuff you mentioned 22 days out of the month.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like any normal office job.

You want to be home more but you go to the airlines. You don't want to be an ART or AGR because you can make more money at an airline. Nothing makes you guys happy. 

Edited by scoobs
  • Downvote 3

Imagine having to deal with all that stuff you mentioned 22 days out of the month.

Sounds like any normal office job.

You want to be home more but you go to the airlines. You don't want to be an ART or AGR because you can make more money at an airline. Nothing makes you guys happy. 

That's the thing you don't seem to understand. If I were at an airline with 18 days off a month, I would be home more. I don't count the time I'm sleeping in my own bed as being home, because I get home from my office job at 1800 every night, go to bed at 2200 and I'm up at 0500 to do it all over again. I get about 4 hrs each night to spend with the family, do whatever household chores I need to do and go right back to it the next day. With the airlines, when you're not flying, you're off for 3 or 4 days straight. I have a few buds who sit reserve with Brand X and work anywhere from 0 to 8 days a month.

• Upvote 1

The best thing about being a parent is having a whole day (or 18) off per month (especially in the summer) to spend with your kids in addition to tucking them in. 8 or 9 nights away from home per month could be worse.

I thought they were trying to do the opposite - turn many of the AGR positions into ARTs to save money. 

Yeah, see how well that worked? They're really gonna save money when less than 50% of their full-time manning doesn't exist.

It amazes me in this era of manning crisis (in the ARC), they still are hiring dudes at 13 step 1 and giving no bonus.  So every dude in that position who comes off AD is making less money than when they left, or at least is continuing to work 60 hrs a week to match their AD pay check.  From the outsider perspective, seems the ARC side needs to stop relying on "great deal, you get to fly forever and avoid pointless staff, 365s, etc" and realize despite those intangible benefits, dudes are not going to keep up the ART gig when there are countless opportunities that pay significantly more, offer same/more time at home with the family, and oh by the way they can still get their "I fly military aircraft" rocks off a few days a month as a TR.  Hire everybody at a Step 5/6 and auto 25-50% retention bonus, then I think a ton more dudes will 1) Desire an ART 2) Stay and not look hard for other means of income.

• Upvote 3

It amazes me in this era of manning crisis (in the ARC), they still are hiring dudes at 13 step 1 and giving no bonus.  So every dude in that position who comes off AD is making less money than when they left, or at least is continuing to work 60 hrs a week to match their AD pay check.  From the outsider perspective, seems the ARC side needs to stop relying on "great deal, you get to fly forever and avoid pointless staff, 365s, etc" and realize despite those intangible benefits, dudes are not going to keep up the ART gig when there are countless opportunities that pay significantly more, offer same/more time at home with the family, and oh by the way they can still get their "I fly military aircraft" rocks off a few days a month as a TR.  Hire everybody at a Step 5/6 and auto 25-50% retention bonus, then I think a ton more dudes will 1) Desire an ART 2) Stay and not look hard for other means of income.

Brabus, I whole-heartedly agree and literally sat in my OG's office showing him all the OPM regs showing this very thing was legal (and appropriate), but noone wants to stick their junk out on the table for us because we've historically never had an issue hiring people into ART jobs and in leadership's eyes, there is no justification. What they don't understand is that this is not only going to be a hiring issue. It's a retainability issue. Ironically, the next in line dude they were planning on hiring into the next ART job just got hired with a major. Another one bites the dust. We've had 3 ARTs go to the airlines in the past few years and I can count at least 3 more who have their apps in. Leadership knows this. No talks of bonuses, but they do use 1 or 2 AGR billets as carrots. We're getting smarter than that.

• 8 months later...

Bump.

Anyone know if this "stoploss" is still in effect for Reservist aircrew?  Looking to transition out of a flying billet into a Cat E spot...possible for it to get denied by AFRC?  The original memo I believe was in effect until Nov 16.

Edited by A-10 Bubba
grammar no good