Good AFOQT, but......

Rhade

Hello all.  I just got back my AFOQT results, and I'm pretty proud.

Pilot: 99    Nav: 99    AA: 98    Verb: 97    Quant: 96

The catch is my college GPA was 2.6, but it is in engineering and from the #3 program in the nation.  I'm also unemployed due to layoffs last year, but I spent 5 years managing up to 50 people at a time.  I have my PPL, but I only have about 60 hours.

The rest of my packet is 4 Letters of Rec:

1)   Former Col. of the Base I'm applying who happened to be my PPL flight examiner

2)   My CFI

3)   My supervisor from my old job.

4)   An Ex-Marine who worked w/ me at my old job as a consultant.

I'm taking the TBAS next week, but I've been studying the flash cards and practicing with some combat flight sims w/a joystick to practice.  Feeling Good.

So long story short, I'm 27 and I really want to fly a C-130, but my whole packet feels like a bit of a double edged sword.  I wanted some advice on fleshing out the weak points of my packet.  Advice from you guys in the know means a lot, I really appreciate it.

Keep in mind that you can take the TBAS twice, and the second time people usually score higher. Although I feel that you will get a rockstar score your first time anyway, with your AFOQT scores and hours from your PPL.

Your GPA is low, but I believe that many people know that the GPA for engineering majors tends to be lower. If you can explain to them why your GPA is so low (working through school, difficult courses, etc.), I'm sure they'll look at you favorably, especially with those AFOQT scores.

That's my two cents, I'm a Prior-E and in AFROTC with limited knowledge on how the board would view this.

You'll learn over time that 75% of everything in the AF is timing and luck. Make sure the 25% that you can control is as strong as possible, and beyond that don't sweat what you can't change.

Your numbers do look strong; that being said, there are some things you can do to improve. If you do decent on the TBAS, think about the risk/reward of taking it a second time. If you do worse the second time, too bad, they take your second score no matter what.

Look at the flight hours required to raise your PCSM. Fly as much as possible and raise your score there. Other than that, you can't do much on the numbers side of things.

If for some reason you don't get picked up on your first go around, read my first sentence. If this is something you want to do, persistence and dedication will come in very handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I completed the TBAS and got a PCSM of 93 with 61 flight hours.  My breakdown for extra flight hours is:

81+:      96 PCSM

101+:    98 PCSM

201+:    99 PCSM

I'm waiting on one more letter of rec to be turned in to me before I submit my package to the guard unit.  Should I hold off and build more time or just go for it once I get the letter?  Thanks for all the responses!!

Edited by Rhade

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer, I'm an active duty guy, but I have plenty of bros in the guard unit that augments us that have been through the guard process. Looks like you've got a competitive package, so don't wait to apply since you're already 27. And also don't limit yourself to only 1 guard unit and only C-130s. Beggars can't be choosers right now when it comes to getting a UPT slot. Find out who's hiring, go visit those units, be a bro, and I think you've got a good shot at getting picked up. Also, I've heard a rumor that there are "un-assigned" guard/reserve UPT spots that are going unclaimed. I was told that if you get one of those spots, you go to UPT, and then a guard unit will take you afterwards. I don't know all the ins and outs of that, but its something to look in to if you're really serious about going to UPT. Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ptwob408 said:

Disclaimer, I'm an active duty guy, but I have plenty of bros in the guard unit that augments us that have been through the guard process. Looks like you've got a competitive package, so don't wait to apply since you're already 27. And also don't limit yourself to only 1 guard unit and only C-130s. Beggars can't be choosers right now when it comes to getting a UPT slot. Find out who's hiring, go visit those units, be a bro, and I think you've got a good shot at getting picked up. Also, I've heard a rumor that there are "un-assigned" guard/reserve UPT spots that are going unclaimed. I was told that if you get one of those spots, you go to UPT, and then a guard unit will take you afterwards. I don't know all the ins and outs of that, but its something to look in to if you're really serious about going to UPT. Hope that helps.

Hey thanks, and yea it's a good point to apply to multiple units.  I sent my package in the other day and I'm waiting for an interview.  So you are saying I can go to UPT and be assigned a unit afterwords?  How do I go about that?  My recruiter seems super adamant about getting me rushing his unit, and he also seems kind of new so he may not be the best source of information on this.

Appreciate the help.

6 minutes ago, Rhade said:

So you are saying I can go to UPT and be assigned a unit afterwords? How do I go about that?

ptwob408 has it right.  AFRC holds an unsponsored UPT board.  The last board they held, slots went unfilled.  Unfortunately, that's all I know.  Starting running down information for AFRC's unsponsored board, which I believe they hold twice a year.  Apologize for the lack of facts, all conjecture here.      

• Upvote 1