2016 UPT Board

I will try to post what I can remember. The memo makes it seem like the ultimate goal is to get you to a point were you can upgrade quicker and then become a Unit instructor. Just like Panco17 mentioned. 

You would attend OTS, UPT, follow-on training, and seasoning
orders in a military status. Payed just like the active duty members. Seasoning orders are 140 day according to the memo. After this, you would be hired into a ART overhire position. You will be a federal civil service employee paid on the gs pay scale. You will be considered a traditional reservist (1 weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer) who has a job with the federal government. 

Like I said in another post, the total full time commitment to the reserves is 6 years. This commitment starts when you enter your first formal training program (OTS, IFS, or UFT.) After completing all the required formal training and your seasoning orders, you will then do 4 years of the ART overhire position.

At the end of the program you can apply to fill an empty ART position, not in overhire status, or just become a TR and find civilian employment. 

In a way this could get those that want to fly for the airlines a chance to build enough military hours to potentially skip the regionals.  That's all I could remember for know but it should cover everything.

2 hours ago, c_dub_g said:

Any word on when we will get results from the June AFRC board? 

Unfortunately I have not seen anything posted or heard any rumors. I want to call and ask my recruiter, but know he will call as soon as he finds something out. 

3 minutes ago, last_chance said:

Unfortunately I have not seen anything posted or heard any rumors. I want to call and ask my recruiter, but know he will call as soon as he finds something out. 

As of today: "None of us have heard any board results.. It usually does not take this long."

17 minutes ago, pancho17 said:

As of today: "None of us have heard any board results.. It usually does not take this long."

I seem to remember my recruiter and most of the the members at my sponsoring unit telling me that results typically take about 3 weeks. "They will probably come out end of June/beginning of July with class dates potentially coming around the 15 of July." I am sure they had no idea it would take this long. Maybe the will give out class dates and results at the same time. I guess one can dream. 

2 hours ago, last_chance said:

Thanks. Welp... May patience be with you my friends! 

18 hours ago, last_chance said:

Has anyone heard about the new 6 year active reserve commitment? I haven't seen it mentioned on any sites yet. 

I guess I'm confused - but what does this mean? Current commitment is 10 years right? So isn't 6 a good thing? 

2 hours ago, bb17 said:

I guess I'm confused - but what does this mean? Current commitment is 10 years right? So isn't 6 a good thing? 

As it stands, the 10 year commitment is for traditional reserve. This change requires you to hold an active reserve position (ART) for 6 years of your commitment. That basically translates to a full time job on base- 5 days a week.

13 minutes ago, pancho17 said:

As it stands, the 10 year commitment is for traditional reserve. This change requires you to hold an active reserve position (ART) for 6 years of your commitment. That basically translates to a full time job on base- 5 days a week.

What is the point of being a reservist then? This sounds like an active duty gig. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bb17 said:

What is the point of being a reservist then? This sounds like an active duty gig. 

While it is a full time, active reserve commitment don't confuse it for active duty. You will be a traditional reservist(1 weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer) who works in a ART overhire position.

For some this will be a problem and it may create an even greater shortage of applicants. Especially for those who already have established careers. This is something you will need to think about before committing. 

You will not be paid like active duty, you will not recieve BAH or BAS, you will not receive military health benefits, and you will not earn active duty time towards retirement.

Instead, you will be paid on the GS pay scale with a locality pay increase. The exact pay level has not been released yet, but typically co-pilots start at GS-9 and aircraft commanders get a special GS-12 rate is what I have heard. You will be eligible for federal employee health benefits and you will be contributing towards the federal employee retirement system. 

4 minutes ago, last_chance said:

While it is a full time, active reserve commitment don't confuse it for active duty. You will be a traditional reservist(1 weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer) who works in a ART overhire position.

For some this will be a problem and it may create an even greater shortage of applicants. Especially for those who already have established careers. This is something you will need to think about before committing. 

You will not be paid like active duty, you will not recieve BAH or BAS, you will not receive military health benefits, and you will not earn active duty time towards retirement.

Instead, you will be paid on the GS pay scale with a locality pay increase. The exact pay level has not been released yet, but typically co-pilots start at GS-9 and aircraft commanders get a special GS-12 rate is what I have heard. You will be eligible for federal employee health benefits and you will be contributing towards the federal employee retirement system. 

Then whats the upside or point of this? 

AFRC's problem: Hiring and retaining pilots

Solution: Enacting a new program that makes it such a bad deal that nobody wants to join.

Great job AFRC. 

Edited by bb17
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, bb17 said:

AFRC's problem: Hiring and retaining pilots

Solution: Enacting a new program that makes it such a bad deal that nobody wants to join.

Great job AFRC. 

After talking with folks at my sponsoring unit, they firmly believe this is an OPTIONAL program. They are of the opinion that this is being circulated and misunderstood, and that AFRC shouldn't have the ability to make this huge of a change a requirement across the board. So I guess stay tuned until we find out more.

55 minutes ago, thankyouthanks said:

Hear from squadron or recruiter? 

I think they're sent to squadron commanders and recruiters, but maybe at different times? I have better contact with my recruiter, but she says they don't have any results yet, so I guess I'm stuck waiting on a call from the commander.

EDIT:

Recruiter just called and she did get the email, I'm in! :D

Edited by pancho17
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, pancho17 said:

After talking with folks at my sponsoring unit, they firmly believe this is an OPTIONAL program. They are of the opinion that this is being circulated and misunderstood, and that AFRC shouldn't have the ability to make this huge of a change a requirement across the board. So I guess stay tuned until we find out more.

I will see if I can get permission to post the memo. It is an optional program for those who graduate from UFT before 1 Dec 16, But it doesn't sound like it is optional for the rest of us. The memo just came down a month ago and it sounds like there are a lot of unknowns about the program. Hopefully headquarters clears things up in the coming months. 

Still no news from my recruiter.

Congrats to all those currently selected! Hopefully I can join you soon.