Retirees: Suit vs. Service Dress & Tux vs Mess Dress

HuggyU2

For you retirees...

Your thoughts on wearing the Mess Dress at formal events.  I'll have 4-5 events in 2016 where this will matter.  

1.  Military graduation where graduates will wear their Service Dress:  would you wear yours?

2.  Formal dinner event where you will see a lot of tuxedos, but that will also have active duty military in mess dress.  Which will you wear?

I've become partial to the civilian tux recently (and will likely wear that), but am curious what the rest of you do.  

You're not a retiree?  Then keep your opinions to yourself, junior, and get the hell off of my lawn.  

• Upvote 1

The only time I will even consider squeezing into the old uniform (it's been almost a decade since I retired) would be a military event in which I have a role.

For example, I commissioned my nephew last year when he graduated from college.  It was an extremely proud moment for me, and I made sure I could fit into my service dress for it.

However, for anything else, I will wear the appropriate civilian attire.

Plus, that way I don't have to shave!  :nob:

Cheers!  M2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I can speak for the mindset my grandfather and Uncle both explained to me (both retired Marine Corps). Unless the event was specifically military related they wore civilian clothing even if others wore theirs.

I recall my grandfather wearing his dress long after retirement to a Marine Corps ball or other event being hosted by the military but other than those type things and the Veterans Day parade where he drove his old restored jeep, the man always wore a suit/tux. Not even his sons commissioning and his brother wasn't in uniform either (though he did have his Navy cross lapel pin on his suit).

Ive never seen my father wear a uniform since his retirement. Especially not to my events, and for that matter neither did the family friends who came to things like my graduation and had also retired from the service.

...his Navy cross lapel pin on his suit.

RESPECT

Yeah Pop has this funny story from my Uncles OCS graduation about a full bird Col being pissed off because the VIP seating area was full and he was being asked to leave. Then he found out who was taking the seat and just kinda sank like "wow I'm an A hole."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/9/2016 at 11:42 AM, Huggyu2 said:

For you retirees...

Your thoughts on wearing the Mess Dress at formal events.  I'll have 4-5 events in 2016 where this will matter.  

1.  Military graduation where graduates will wear their Service Dress:  would you wear yours?

2.  Formal dinner event where you will see a lot of tuxedos, but that will also have active duty military in mess dress.  Which will you wear?

I've become partial to the civilian tux recently (and will likely wear that), but am curious what the rest of you do.  

You're not a retiree?  Then keep your opinions to yourself, junior, and get the hell off of my lawn.  

Retired E here

Go with tux with maybe your "retired" or highest dec lapel pin.

Or be like the Brits and you wear your full rack of mini-medals on the tux (kinda nerdy but legal and seen it done).   

Wanna share the citation? Or the story?

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Ray E. Wilson, Jr. (821221), Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty while serving as a Rifleman of Company I, Third Battalion, Twenty-Sixth Marines, FIFTH Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 14 March 1945. When heavy and accurate machine-gun and sniper fire held up the advance of his company and inflicted severe casualties in his platoon, Private First Class Wilson volunteered to act as guide for the tanks after his Company Commander requested tank support. Exposing himself to hostile fire near the tanks to use telephone communication with the Tank Commander, he crept and crawled over fire-swept open terrain for fifty yards to reconnoiter and to guide the first tank into an advantageous firing position. After firing tracers at the enemy machine gun nests to indicate their positions, Private First Class Wilson returned three times and led the remaining tanks to previously reconnoitered positions, on each occasion, in full view of the Japanese and under the continuing hostile fire. After maneuvering the four tanks into position for more than one hour, he moved forward with the company and continued to guide and direct the tanks although he was seriously wounded in action. His initiative, unselfish courage, and indomitable fighting spirit were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Story basically went that a week before graduation they asked all the candidates "do you have any VIPs coming to graduation." Now VIP is typically E9/O6 and above and somebody always has somebody. Well my uncle didn't think about it since neither of the Marines he was expecting made E9, though granddad was close. Morning of the graduation he says one of the Sgt Instructors just exploded at how he didn't tell them who was coming. And he was like wtf are you talking about. And out on the parade field there sits uncle Ray under the nice shaded area with all these high level O-grades in dress while he's just sitting in a suit and they are shaking his hand and even some of the Sgt instructors and staff are going over to pay respect to the man. Paul had no idea Uncle Ray had received a Navy cross, but apparently there was this one full bird who was kicked off the dais to sit in the sun with the normal people who was just over himself to be apologetic about not wanting to give up his seat when asked.

• Upvote 13

3 hours ago, Lawman said:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Ray E. Wilson, Jr. (821221), Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty while serving as a Rifleman of Company I, Third Battalion, Twenty-Sixth Marines, FIFTH Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 14 March 1945. When heavy and accurate machine-gun and sniper fire held up the advance of his company and inflicted severe casualties in his platoon, Private First Class Wilson volunteered to act as guide for the tanks after his Company Commander requested tank support. Exposing himself to hostile fire near the tanks to use telephone communication with the Tank Commander, he crept and crawled over fire-swept open terrain for fifty yards to reconnoiter and to guide the first tank into an advantageous firing position. After firing tracers at the enemy machine gun nests to indicate their positions, Private First Class Wilson returned three times and led the remaining tanks to previously reconnoitered positions, on each occasion, in full view of the Japanese and under the continuing hostile fire. After maneuvering the four tanks into position for more than one hour, he moved forward with the company and continued to guide and direct the tanks although he was seriously wounded in action. His initiative, unselfish courage, and indomitable fighting spirit were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Full On Badassery!  Respect!

On 1/11/2016 at 3:14 PM, Stitch said:

Retired E here

Go with tux with maybe your "retired" or highest dec lapel pin.

Or be like the Brits and you wear your full rack of mini-medals on the tux (kinda nerdy but legal and seen it done). 

Something like this?

Blazer-Frank-w-mini-ribbons.jpg

http://blog.medalsofamerica.com/civilian-wear-quick-guide-medals-ribbon-racks-non-uniform-articles/

Air Force Instruction 36-2903, paragraph 4-4 says that honorably discharged and retired Air Force members may wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits on appropriate occasions such as Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day. Female members may wear full-size or miniature medals on equivalent dress. As with the Army, medals should be placed in the approximate same location and in the manner they are planned on the Air Force uniform.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, Lawman said:

Story basically went that a week before graduation they asked all the candidates "do you have any VIPs coming to graduation." Now VIP is typically E9/O6 and above and somebody always has somebody. Well my uncle didn't think about it since neither of the Marines he was expecting made E9, though granddad was close. Morning of the graduation he says one of the Sgt Instructors just exploded at how he didn't tell them who was coming. And he was like wtf are you talking about. And out on the parade field there sits uncle Ray under the nice shaded area with all these high level O-grades in dress while he's just sitting in a suit and they are shaking his hand and even some of the Sgt instructors and staff are going over to pay respect to the man. Paul had no idea Uncle Ray had received a Navy cross, but apparently there was this one full bird who was kicked off the dais to sit in the sun with the normal people who was just over himself to be apologetic about not wanting to give up his seat when asked.

Private First Class... maybe 19 or 20 years old at the time...Iwo Jima..."Excuse me General/Admiral and with all due respect, move the F over, this seat is for him".

Having been to Iwo Jima over a dozen times during my three year tour in Japan (best ever FLCP [Field Carrier Landing Practice] area around), all I can say is that must have just been a brutal killing ground.  Just walking off that island in the Feb-March 1945 timeframe demands RESPECT.

Appreciate you sharing.

V/r

ATIS

• 3 weeks later...

We attended a memorial for a former soldier turned VA employee who was very popular in the local military/veteran community. At the service, we saw a few different collages of uniforms pieced together, which seems to be the thing here. One lady, who allegedly retired as a USMC PFC in the late 70s, wore the top half of her dress blues (which still fit somewhat), and a civilian skirt which had nothing in common with the official uniform except the color. In BMT we were schooled that if you didn't retire in it, you don't wear it once you leave the service. Is this no longer common knowledge?

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, 2xAGM114 said:

We attended a memorial for a former soldier turned VA employee who was very popular in the local military/veteran community. At the service, we saw a few different collages of uniforms pieced together, which seems to be the thing here. One lady, who allegedly retired as a USMC PFC in the late 70s, wore the top half of her dress blues (which still fit somewhat), and a civilian skirt which had nothing in common with the official uniform except the color. In BMT we were schooled that if you didn't retire in it, you don't wear it once you leave the service. Is this no longer common knowledge?

I want to say the rule is the uniform you retired in or the current uniform. No mixing. I do not know where that is written though.

On 2/6/2016 at 1:36 PM, MCO said:

I want to say the rule is the uniform you retired in or the current uniform. No mixing. I do not know where that is written though.

Here...
http://www.retirees.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet_print.asp?fsID=12793

U.S. Air Force Fact Sheet
RETIREE UNIFORM WEAR
Uniform Wear

According to Air Force Instruction 36-2903, retirees may wear the uniform as prescribed at date of retirement, or any of the uniforms authorized for active-duty personnel, including the dress uniforms.  Retirees must not mix uniform items.

Retired Airmen receive the retired lapel button at retirement. Retirees wear the retired lapel button on the left lapel. Retired Airmen whose assignments have included command at squadron, group or wing level are also authorized to wear the command insignia pin on the left lapel, below the retired lapel button. 

Retirees whose last assignment before retirement was a first sergeant and/or command chief may wear appropriate chevrons in all instances the uniform is worn. 

Retired Airmen will conform with the same standards of appearance, military customs, practices, and conduct in uniform prescribed for active-duty Airmen.

When to Wear the Uniform

Air Force Instruction 36-2903 states retirees may wear the uniform:

-- at occasions of military ceremonies;

-- memorial services, and inaugurals;

-- patriotic parades on national holidays, other military parades or ceremonies in which any active or Reserve U.S. military unit is taking part ;

-- at educational institutions when engaged in giving military instructions or responsible for military discipline; and

-- at social or other functions when the invitation has been influenced by the member's active military service.