AGR Curtailment

I have seen a number of successful curtailments.  If you are over 2 years into that set of orders (regardless of how long they go for) you are almost certain of success.  Less than that and it can get questionable but I think I only know of one unsuccessful curtailment.  In most units, it does usually burn the bridge of coming back on AGR though: I know one guy who is curtailing to get through training/IOE at a major airlines and then was planning on coming back but has been told that plan isn't going to happen.

We have one going thru curtailment now. No issues yet, but beware if you are getting ARP. You will have to pay it back. Depending on timing, it could be a significant payback. Even though you received a post tax amount, you will have to pay back the pre tax amount. Curtailment Staff Summary Sheet is routed thru SQ/CC, OG/CC, WG/CC, ATAG, and TAG.

Also, take the leave. Don't sell it back.

• 1 year later...

On 1/8/2016 at 3:57 PM, Termy said:

I have seen a number of successful curtailments.  If you are over 2 years into that set of orders (regardless of how long they go for) you are almost certain of success.  Less than that and it can get questionable but I think I only know of one unsuccessful curtailment.  In most units, it does usually burn the bridge of coming back on AGR though: I know one guy who is curtailing to get through training/IOE at a major airlines and then was planning on coming back but has been told that plan isn't going to happen.

Bump.

Say one were interested in an ARC unit, but ARC unit wasn't hiring any TRs... only AGRs.  Unit is in a "good" area (not a UPT shithole).  How easy would it be to accept an AGR position, and then leave that position should an airline opportunity present itself?  Yeah, burning bridges and all that... can one just convert from AGR to TR whenever they want, regardless of if they want to go back to the AGR position post-airline probation?  What if the only "commitment" to the unit was the 3:1 ratio for palace chase?  What does the curtailment process involve?

Personally, I think it's a shit bag move. You are totally using them and I would hope they see right thru it. I see it from your side as it getting you to where you want to be. But, I wouldn't hire you since you it doesn't benefit the unit.

Now, my view may change if you were to hang around for a year or so. That way it would at least benefit the unit, as well as you. But, we all know you would be gone in the first chance you could. And I would never hire you back into the AGR position after you bailed.

ETA: if the unit is offering you the AGR position after knowing you are planning on jumping, then I retract the above statements. That is on the unit and they get what they ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Karl Hungus said:

Bump.

Say one were interested in an ARC unit, but ARC unit wasn't hiring any TRs... only AGRs.  Unit is in a "good" area (not a UPT shithole).  How easy would it be to accept an AGR position, and then leave that position should an airline opportunity present itself?  Yeah, burning bridges and all that... can one just convert from AGR to TR whenever they want, regardless of if they want to go back to the AGR position post-airline probation?  What if the only "commitment" to the unit was the 3:1 ratio for palace chase?  What does the curtailment process involve?

They have to have TR jobs available and it sounds like they don't.  If you tried to curtail, you could be out of a job completely.  

Thanks for the response.  I'm not even close to accepting a position with this unit, nor have I even applied.  Just an informal conversation at this point.  They are adamant that they're losing AGRs left and right, and will only hire into AGR positions.  I'm hesitant to lock myself into long, one-sided commitments- AD will do that to you.  Since I'm unfamiliar with how an AGR curtailment would even work, asking here seemed like a good way to find out.  Agreed that I wouldn't want to come across as a "shit bag"... if there's an accepted minimum amount of time to serve in an AGR position before pursuing other options that would ensure my family's financial well-being long-term, be that one year or 5 years, it would be good to know in advance.  There's a difference between what the unit prefers and what's actually legal, though- much like dropping mil leave after finishing OE, might be legal but not very smart.  Hence why I asked.

There's no set time, but try to think about what is worthwhile to the unit. Curtailment is not a massive process and it does happen regularly. Like I stated before, a coworker of mine did this about 1.5 yrs ago. I think nothing less of him for doing it. He improved his family's QOL and I would never fault anyone for doing that. I'm extremely happy for him and know that he is thoroughly enjoying his airline gig and is fully involved as a DSG. But we have also had folks in the past who continue to look at the unit as a lifeline that they can come and go anytime they like. It's just not conducive to a good work environment.

I just look at it from the hiring authority's perspective and how time-consuming the job advertisement, interview, and paperwork process usually is. Once you fill an AGR position, it's almost like a sigh of relief since the process is complete and you have a valuable member to help with the workload. No one likes continually being in that process.

I'll give you part of my pilot hiring spiel- you are looking to join my family and I want you to join my family. But I need you to understand the commitment required to join the family. As corny as it sounds, the unit is my 2nd family. I spend as much time with my coworkers as I do my wife and kids, so I want to like you. Please don't give me a reason to not. I feel like we are a close knit group, hell, I've known some of these folks for 25 yrs. We want you to be around as long as possible. Now, I'm talking about an ANG unit, which may be a little different.

If you are interested in talking or discussing, feel free to DM me.

Is the AGR lifestyle better than active duty or just slightly watered down?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the location. It seems like we are more AD like than we have ever been. But I think it's because the mission is 24/7/365. We try our damnedest to keep it like the Guard. It's still a "bar" to me, not a Heritage or Reconstitution Room.

can one just convert from AGR to TR whenever they want

No.

1) The unit would have to allow you to curtail your AGR orders
2) there would have to be an open TR billet for you to move into, and...
3) they would have to allow you to move into that billet (potentially over someone else if the unit is full on part timers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a new thing I am starting to see: commanders simply saying, "I won't consider dealing with your curtailment request unless you already have a replacement lined up."  I know of this happening in the case of both fighter and heavy pilots. And neither have found a replacement yet.