Taxes & Pay in OTS/UPT

Question

I've found my way to the '15 military pay tables, figure '16 won't be much different. The basic pay is straightforward but how do the allowances work? If I'm single/no dependent do I only get BAH if I manage to get off-base housing in UPT? What's the subsistence allowance? Finally, does all this get taxed normally or are some parts exempt?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

You'll get BAH regardless on or off base. But if you're on base, they take all your BAH for "rent," which is why ARI said you won't get BAH. Get some roommates and live off base and pocket some $.

BAS is intended as food $, but it just lumps into your total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ARIs 'R' Us said:

Only your basic pay is taxed, and if you're on base no BAH for you.

I'd stop stressing...just see how much you get on the 1st/15th and go to the bar.

Pro Tip: getting married prior to OTS = E-5 BAH during OTS and family separation. That's about $1K/mo...

This is excellent financial advice, after UPT you can use your flight pay to cover the divorce.

Edited by guineapigfury
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, hispeed7721 said:

You'll get BAH regardless on or off base. But if you're on base, they take all your BAH for "rent," which is why ARI said you won't get BAH. Get some roommates and live off base and pocket some $.

BAS is intended as food $, but it just lumps into your total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This helps - thanks!