Guard / Reserve with VA Disability (& VSP)

Need FINANCE HELP.  I have a very specific situation that I'd love to get some input about.  I took the VSP from Active Duty 1 year ago and am starting to look at Guard / Reserve positions (currently in IRR).  During this 1 year, I have been approved for 60% VA disability, but instead of getting those paychecks, it has been required to be used for VSP payback....ie I won't see that money until ~2019.  My questions are:

1.  Can I still join Guard / Reserve with VA Disability?  No permanent or duty restriction injuries..will pass all PFTs and physicals.  I have heard every answer under the sun on this and would love some facts vs. opinions.  One Guard unit told me anything over 15% disability would not be allowed in any guard / reserve unit.  NOTE:  15% disability doesn't exist, it's be 10% increments, so right there I don't see that as credible.  

2.  If I can join, what I have seen online is that my VA Disability amount gets prorated based on the days I serve that year (can't double dip).  If that's true, how does this work for someone like me who isn't directly receiving VA money?  Should I expect my VSP payoff date to just be pushed out, thus delaying the time where I'll see VA money?  I find it hard to believe that someone in the VA and/or DOD is updating my account and allocating funds as they change.  I'm not sure if anyone else has ever been in this situation, but looking for some insight.  Thanks!     

You can probably get into ANG. Even if one unit/state doesn't take you, another one will.

Good luck getting into Reserves. Under 15% is doable, but I haven't seen them take higher than about 25-30%. You could get another physical though, and argue for a lower disability rate (counterintuitive, I know), but I've seen this work.

Also this all depends on what your specific diagnoses are. Tinnitus isn't as bad as ankle instability, but they might both be rated at 10%.

• 2 weeks later...

AGR here, but when I was a traditional I got a 10% rating. I remember one year when I did a temp tech tour the VA sent me a letter saying I had X amount of training days while I receiving a disability payment and they were going to pro-rate my next years payments to a lesser amount to reimburse them for the over payment. I'm not sure how it works out, but you aren't supposed to be getting a VA payment while performing active duty (which includes AT and title 10 orders).