Career Advice Needed

MIDN

Question

Hello All,

Looking for some career advice.  I'm a Midshipmen in Naval ROTC getting close to service selection.  I need to choose between submarines and aviation.  

I am drawn to aviation because I want to be a fighter pilot--I love flying and it is hard to imagine a more interesting or exciting job than flying fighters in the US military.  I have liked the personalities of most of the aviators I've met and I think I would enjoy and excel at aviation.  Of course, there's no guarantee of fighters, and while the navy has other cool planes and helicopters, 10 years (flight school + 8) is a big part of my life to commit to the Navy without having much control over what I'll be doing or where I'll be.

I am drawn to submarines because of the important missions they go on, having the opportunity to work with and lead some of the Navy's best and brightest sailors, and learning about the awesome engineering and nuclear technology.  Submarines require only a 5 year commitment.  Here's where it gets complicated.  I have this crazy idea that I could be a submarine officer for 5 years, then get out (27 yrs old) and interview with ANG fighter units until I get picked up.  Then I could get to do both and I'd even be more prepared for a civilian career outside of the guard with a submarine/engineering background.  Does that plan make sense or do I sound like I'm nuts?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated--Thanks!

6 answers to this question

If you become a submariner, it is unlikely that you'll ever become a fighter pilot.

You may have these great plans, but then life happens. You won't be an off the street guard hire, you'll be a non-rated officer. Which means you'd show up as an O-3 after UPT. Unless you start rushing units years out and they love you, you'll be in a very weird category. Add to that the interservice transfer hassle and most units will pass.

If you want to fly fighters, take a chance and go aviation.

If you want to hang out in a metal tube that's long, hard, and full of seamen, go subs.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with both above. That being said, in my UPT class we had a guy who was an active duty marine officer for 6-9 years and then got out. He subsequently got his commission reinstated (or whatever the right term is) by the ANG and had a guard unit send him through as a guard O3.

Take that for what it's worth, I wouldn't want to go that path because I think the chances, especially now and in coming years, will be dwindling that it would work out, but it does happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIDN,

I kinda went through what you are thinking about doing; however, my situation was slightly different. Wanted to fly & wanted to do ATC... but flying was primary. Figured I could hit the ATC four year commitment first, and then apply to Pilot Training later. Eventually turned out that I absolutely had to go the ATC route first since my medical paperwork was not clear whenever my ROTC class was putting in their pilot applications. Unlike you, the decision was made for be based on circumstance. Loved everything about the ATC career field but still kept focus on flying. Applied and got picked up on active duty...and while at my pilot training base, applied to a Guard unit, got picked up, and switched over to the Guard. Long story... but It all worked out in the end. 

Looking back at everything that happened through the entire process, I took a lot of chances and consider myself to be extremely lucky. I happened to be in the right place, at the right time, and with the right people. There are so many factors, situations, and people involved to where if just one thing had not been in place, I would never have made it to pilot training. My advice (just like the others above): go first for whatever field you wouldn't mind being "stuck in" for the rest of your career. If you want to fly, go for it first.

Buddy Spike speaks truth... inter-service transfers are a hassle on their own. 

Lastly, it's fantastic to have clear dreams / goals, but avoid making your final decision by how "cool" you think these career fields are. Make sure you find & talk to pilots & submariners to get a very clear picture of what life is like as opposed to just meeting them and observing their personalities.

Good luck

---

PK...  

Edited by PK...
... words are hard

Mid:

20+ year Navy 0-5 (Reservist but sitting up here in Newport RI at the War College on active duty right now) and staring 0-6 in the face (blind squirrel [me] may find a nut [STS 0-6]).

You go Submarine, you won't be able to break from that gravitational pull and switch to aviation.  I have seen a few surface warfare officers do it...but I haven't seen a sub driver yet.  You will be invested in heavily to get through Nuc school and then pushed hard on your first SSN/SSBN/SSGN tour...chances are likely you will be more interested about getting out of the Nav then going to flight school by that point.

"Of course, there's no guarantee of fighters, and while the navy has other cool planes and helicopters, 10 years (flight school + 8) is a big part of my life to commit to the Navy without having much control over what I'll be doing or where I'll be".....VERY VERY short sighted.  If you want to fly...go to flight school.  Get your head out of the "fighter pilot of bust" mentality.  Flying a helo hunting subs or shooting Hellfire at ships or a P-8 on a SRO track/mowing the lawn on det is not a bad deal compared to being a sub driver. All the aviators I have known have been happy with the community they ended up in, some were upset when they didn't get their platform of choice, that's only natural.  I didn't get my first choice...made the best of it and eventually was able to fall into the best military aviation job I could have hoped for (I'm a plankowner in the 319th out of Hurby...folks on this board will know what that is).  I have a ton of respect for what the undersea community does but don't be fooled...they eat their own and they ride them very hard.  I work with 4+ former sub skippers (one a classmate of mine from college)...all are getting out as either 0-5 or 0-6 because they are just trashed.

"I would enjoy and excel at aviation"...BOOM....those words came out of your mind, through your fingers and showed up here.  That is the attitude to have.  Period. 

PM me if you like to discuss further.  Now where did my Woodford Reserve go?

Cheers

ATIS

• Upvote 1

Aviation is a beautiful life but very demanding, know that everything has to be just right! You have to be able to develop a passion for aviation to make it right with self-satisfaction rewardsAlways show an interest in improving yourself. Be willing to learn in an ever-changing industry. Invest in yourself and know when to take the initiative. 

• Like 1