Active Duty UFT Board

bluedevil

Figured I would star this thread to consolidate some of the chatter about the Active Duty UFT board.  On the discussion of PPL/PCSM... A bud of mine called AFPC and spoke to a Maj in the Rated Assignments Branch.  He said on last year's board, they were cutting off Pilot selects with PCSMs in the 80s.  So it sounds like there's enough applicants with PCSMs over 80 each year to pretty much use that as a rough cut line.  Is it even worth applying Pilot only with a PCSM in the 60s?

I'd press depending on the strength of the rest of your package (sts). Correct me if I'm talking out of line anyone, but if you're a non-select you can just try again the next year after doing what you need to do to improve your scores. You might be offered an RPA slot even if you didn't apply, but you can turn that down penalty free. You never know if you don't try.

As for me, I can't tell if this is good or bad news. I'm going to bat with a 94 PCSM and a 97 AFOQT pilot score, but I'm also waiting on an age waiver to clear AFPC. If they have enough qualified candidates, that probably doesn't spell good news for me.

Edited by gohornsgo

I'd press depending on the strength of the rest of your package (sts). Correct me if I'm talking out of line anyone, but if you're a non-select you can just try again the next year after doing what you need to do to improve your scores. You might be offered an RPA slot even if you didn't apply, but you can turn that down penalty free. You never know if you don't try.

As for me, I can't tell if this is good or bad news. I'm going to bat with a 94 PCSM and a 97 AFOQT pilot score, but I'm also waiting on an age waiver to clear AFPC. If they have enough qualified candidates, that probably doesn't spell good news for me.

^ Strength of the rest of my package is the big factor (TWSS).  Been talking with a retired Viper driver who knows the process pretty well.  Basically said without a #1 or 2 strat from the Wg/CC, don't bother this time around.  I would just keep applying Pilot only until I hit TFCSD but this year they implemented a catch on that...  If you've applied to the board twice previously, on your third attempt you must select all.  aka, thanks for trying, here's an RPA slot and you can't turn it down. 

^ Strength of the rest of my package is the big factor (TWSS).  Been talking with a retired Viper driver who knows the process pretty well.  Basically said without a #1 or 2 strat from the Wg/CC, don't bother this time around.  I would just keep applying Pilot only until I hit TFCSD but this year they implemented a catch on that...  If you've applied to the board twice previously, on your third attempt you must select all.  aka, thanks for trying, here's an RPA slot and you can't turn it down. 

Excuse my ignorance, what is a "#1 or 2 strat" ?

I am planning on applying to this board and assuming strat means letter of recommendation (like I said, ignorant) would a current 2 Star generals Letter be a sufficient replacement if I do not have a letter from my current sq commander? 

I could possibly get one from my sq CC , but it is somewhat short notice, and I am currently a drilling reservist so the application process is a little weird.

It's a stratification, i.e. "#1 of 10 LT's in the squadron" or something like that. Strats show up on OPR/EPR's.

A letter of rec from your squadron commander means dick, since he already has to fill out bullets for you on the application form. Unless things have changed, you're only allowed to have letters from someone within your current chain of command, so the 2 star you are talking about is hopefully someone that is in some way in said chain of command

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it... I think I am confused, as a reservist applying to the active rated board I believe in applying to the OTS board which is slightly different. I am also currently enlisted, not an officer.

All these acronyms still blow my mind after 7 years of service..thanks for the help.

It's a stratification, i.e. "#1 of 10 LT's in the squadron" or something like that. Strats show up on OPR/EPR's.

A letter of rec from your squadron commander means dick, since he already has to fill out bullets for you on the application form. Unless things have changed, you're only allowed to have letters from someone within your current chain of command, so the 2 star you are talking about is hopefully someone that is in some way in said chain of command

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you can get letter of rec from anybody now. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:38 AM, gohornsgo said:

Anyone heard any juicy rumors or whatnot? I'm just patiently waiting over here. I haven't heard anything as far as my age waiver, which I guess I'll take as a good sign two weeks out from the board. Still, the silence is eerie.

rumor is that they are highly selective this year because they are not taking in as many slots--looking at folks with 90+ PCSMs

At this point, everything is pure speculation. Just hang on and we'll all find out shortly. As noted above, Kama'aina got picked up with a 72 on last years board. When, if you read the forums from last year, it was also supposed to be highly competitive. Anything at this point, unless MPF says, which I haven't heard anything except there are 200 applicants, is pure speculation and rumors. there's a whole lot more than just the PCSM, Hang in there we'll all be finding out shortly.

PS: I'm feeling the same way you all are, why I felt like I should send this out. 

19 hours ago, argo said:

rumor is that they are highly selective this year because they are not taking in as many slots--looking at folks with 90+ PCSMs

If that's true, it doesn't bode well for me especially with no PPL. There's always next year..

Here's some more anecdata for those of us with less than stellar PCSMs...  Long story short, a retired 16 driver called a bud of his, a Brig Gen who was the former Director of Assignments at AFPC.  He said to ignore all the chaff: the PCSM score speculation, PPL/No PPL, flight hours, etc.  The dudes who get picked up first are the ones with the best push line on the 215.  Purely anecdotal but I feel your pain as well.  This is by far the most difficult/competitive avenue to UPT.  Best of luck fellas. 

• Upvote 2

I think this whole "90+ PCSM only" thing is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Word of stuff like that gets out, which determines who commanders think is competitive, which drives strats and pushlines, which drives selection. It also ends up pushing a lot of guys with lower PCSMs out of the mix because they're discouraged from applying, or don't even submit a package because they don't feel like they have a shot. That's how you wind up with this perception that PCSM is a huge driving force behind selection. Opinion only.

We all know that someone's ability to be a pilot doesn't hinge on the fact that they can't sit at a tiny little table (seriously, that table was tiny) and jerk a wobbly joystick (sts) around better than the next dude. I think the board knows that too, which is why they have a board and they don't just stick us all on an excel spreadsheet, sort by PCSM score and blast out a selection notice. I think if you made it through the process and look strong on paper but don't have a astronomical score like that, your chances are probably just as good as the next guy's.

But hey, we'll see in February right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15 Jan,2016 at 0:27 AM, Flyingforce said:

LOL! I have a 1/1 wing strat with a 77 pcsm... I have absolutely no clue where I stand! Pretty nervous though

On 25 Jan,2016 at 3:20 PM, Nh26 said:

Well, the board starts today! Good luck to everyone. What does everyone think it will take to get an RPA slot? I have a 79 PCSM with a 1/1 strat.

For you guys with 1/1 "strats"...(obviously it isn't relevant for this year's board) for future OPR's or if you apply to anything in the future...make sure things like that are left off. Its a complete waste of white space to have a number like that, and it really isn't a stratification. If you're the only one in whatever sample your rater is looking at, obviously you're number 1.  It hurts you more than it helps you. 

Don't take any of this as a downer to your chances this year. That's not my point. Just trying to offer some advice and things I've experienced, both as the rater and the ratee.

1 hour ago, hispeed7721 said:

For you guys with 1/1 "strats"...(obviously it isn't relevant for this year's board) for future OPR's or if you apply to anything in the future...make sure things like that are left off. Its a complete waste of white space to have a number like that, and it really isn't a stratification. If you're the only one in whatever sample your rater is looking at, obviously you're number 1.  It hurts you more than it helps you. 

Don't take any of this as a downer to your chances this year. That's not my point. Just trying to offer some advice and things I've experienced, both as the rater and the ratee.

That's the first time I've had anyone comment on that, and I've been asking around trying to figure out how a 1/1 strat will help or not... Unfortunately, obviously out of my control, I was the only one in my wing to apply. How will the board look at this opposed to say a 3/6 strat?