LRS-B contract awarded

StoleIt

Well at least we're not leasing them. Maybe no one will go to jail (like Darlene druyen) and this contract will stick with Northrop.

Serious question: what's the break even cost point at which survivable manned bombers are no longer worth it compared to cruise missiles. I'm sure someone on staff somewhere has crunched those numbers.

Well at least we're not leasing them. Maybe no one will go to jail (like Darlene druyen) and this contract will stick with Northrop.

Serious question: what's the break even cost point at which survivable manned bombers are no longer worth it compared to cruise missiles. I'm sure someone on staff somewhere has crunched those numbers.

I'm sure that paper covers the issues of getting your cruise missiles close enough to launch so they don't need to be viper-sized.

Well bombers can still reasonably make it to a target when GPS gets jammed, can't say the same for cruise missiles.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
Well here it is...The B-21.  Looks like B-2 2.0  Sec Deb is taking suggestions for the name.  Hopefully it is something a little tougher than "Spirit"

I think it literally is B-2.1...no imagination from whoever comes up with these haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Wonder if they will give this one auto throttles? Seems like something you would want for an airplane that flies around the world non stop to go to war........

Or a Voice Activated Throttle

System (VATS) like on the BUFF.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Breckey said:

As in "power up" or "torque down" we have that too. Sometimes it doesn't work well or not at all.

Hal Hornburg flew with us back when he was ACC CC.  He had zero knowledge of the BUFF so we messed with him a bit.  The throttle cables run right above the Radar Nav and Nav's head downstairs.  

When he flew with us the pilots showed him the amazing technology that was the VATS.  I think I've told this story before here on BO, but anyway  he's up in the IP seat and the pilots are telling him about VATS and he's completely perplexed when the AC says throttle up on 4-8.  Throttles move forward, speed increases, Hal is beside himself.  The demo goes on in various ways for about 15-20 mins.  It was a good flight.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, xaarman said:

B-21 Spirit II

It's a typo, they left out the decimal. It's a B-2.1

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...