Unsolicited T-1 Replacement Proposal

HuggyU2

2 hours ago, Duck said:

I don't get how the T-X single track makes sense financially. It takes half the IPs for the T-1 and I'm assuming it is more fuel efficient than an AB fuel guzzling fighter type aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

It's more expensive from the brief I saw actually for everyone to go T-X.  But the brief still had it has the top choice.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

I don't get how the T-X single track makes sense financially. It takes half the IPs for the T-1 and I'm assuming it is more fuel efficient than an AB fuel guzzling fighter type aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Maybe but there could be other reasons to go back to a single advanced trainer even it is more expensive.  I lean towards a single track but SUPT does make a helluva lot of sense still.

To mitigate the cost of a more expensive advanced trainer (assuming a single T-X track) - could the instrument phase in T-6's be expanded and the instrument phase in T-X be shortened?  Just use T-X to teach military specific items (form, mission, etc.)?

60% T-6 & 40% T-X or some other ratio...

The T-X program seems to be emphasizing capability vs. cost (to a point)....

http://aviationweek.com/defense/high-performance-t-x-could-edge-out-low-cost-bid

If there is to be a T-XXX as a Tone replacement, maybe Big Blue would be willing to get a new jet with the luxury options?

A jet that has range, modern avionics with full automation to manage (capable of full auto flight & HUD), NVG compatible cockpit, short field capability (landing on 5K' wet asphalt at ISA), a UARSSI just like the T-X will have even if only for dry plugs, etc...

Swing for the fences for T-1 replacement...

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 1