C-130 down in Afghanistan

MechGov

Did anyone else catch this little tidbit in Stripes?:

"the aircraft hit a ground object as it was ascending"

I'm curious how many here have done go arounds/aborts/early rotations in the AOR for uncontrolled vehicles/people/troop formations/etc using the runway at all hours? I can think of a dozen-plus incidents I've seen or heard of. Right up there with that sucking feeling after that RPA flashes past you.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/victims-of-c-130-crash-in-afghanistan-identified-1.371654

Did anyone else catch this little tidbit in Stripes?:

"the aircraft hit a ground object as it was ascending"

I'm curious how many here have done go arounds/aborts/early rotations in the AOR for uncontrolled vehicles/people/troop formations/etc using the runway at all hours? I can think of a dozen-plus incidents I've seen or heard of. Right up there with that sucking feeling after that RPA flashes past you.

[url=]http://www.stripes.com/news/us/victims-of-c-130-crash-in-afghanistan-identified-1.371654

Don't ever believe the first report or the eyewitness account...

• Upvote 2

And sure enough those of us with young kids know everyone in a flight suit is "Daddy". God bless those families and those that paid the ultimate price.

• Upvote 1

There's probably two dozen conferences rooms minimum all over that base. No one thought to sequester a wing of the lodging building for these families? We've been at war for 15 years, I hate to say this but we should be better at this.

• Upvote 2

The Reddit post had also been up on JQP's Facebook page.  Has since been replaced by this:

I pulled down the Reddit post discussing the Dover reception, because the commander of the fallen C-130 airmen reached out and requested that I do so. The post I shared gives one perspective of the reception, and there's a different perspective that should also be shared to provide a full view.

But now is not the time for that, or the debate it would it stir.

We'll circle back and discuss in more detail later, but for now I respect the call for healing and mourning space, and choose to honor that request.

I apologize if sharing that post was insensitive to anyone personally touched by this loss.

• Upvote 1

The Reddit post had also been up on JQP's Facebook page.  Has since been replaced by this:

ADMIN NOTE:  Given the above, I removed Azimuth's post that quoted the Reddit comments. 

If anyone disagrees with that decision, please feel free to PM me about it. 

I sent Azimuth a message explaining why I did so, and he concurred.

Cheers!  M2

Any obvious reason "Torque" is spelled as "Torqe" on that that T-shirt? It's spelled correctly all over the site, but not on the shirt itself. Is that because of the call sign letter limit? Or just a mistake?

Any obvious reason "Torque" is spelled as "Torqe" on that that T-shirt? It's spelled correctly all over the site, but not on the shirt itself. Is that because of the call sign letter limit? Or just a mistake?

The aircraft call sign is Torqe.

I am fairly confident that several people in the squadron asked the designers of the shirt to change it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...