Two boards at once

So I am in contact with an AFRC recruiter for their November unsponsored but also reached out to and active duty recruiter for their November board. This recruiter noted that I cannot apply to both and that I need to pick one or the other. Can anyone confirm this? 

CIvilian. I know for sure you can do ANG and AFRC because only AFRC goes trough MEPS. His rationale was, MEPs physicals can only be attached to one recruiter at a time, and since AFRC and Active duty both use MEPS physicals, it becomes a problem. To make thing a little more messy, I contacted a Navy recruiter today which also is believe to have a projected board in November, in case anyone was interested.

• 1 month later...

First, long time lurker here, so thanks for all the information that's gotten me this far.

I'm looking for any and all input-

I've been offered a heavy slot through AFRC and a fighter slot through ANG.  Because of the processing of paperwork, it's very likely the AFRC unit will come back with OTS/UPT dates a couple/few months ahead of the ANG unit (I'm FCI/MFS approved).  However, I'm leaning towards the fighter slot in the ANG, thus requiring me to turn down a sure thing when AFRC comes back with dates for a should-be thing with ANG.  

I've spent the past month weighing all the pros and cons of the age old question "fighters or heavies?" and I've concluded that for me and my family they shake out to be about even; my heart is just pulling me to fighters.  Here's the kicker, I'm 28 with an imperfect background, so I see this as my last chance at UPT and am trying not to dick it up.  I already feel like a douche for likely having to call one squadron and tell them all the work they put in getting me this far was for nothing.  I've read on this forum "those that get greedy, sometimes don't go to UPT at all" and I'm concerned about that.  

All that said - What would you do?  Am I batshit crazy to turn down a T-1 slot in hand for the (likely) possibility of a -38 slot a few months from now?

Thank in advance.

First, long time lurker here, so thanks for all the information that's gotten me this far.

I've been offered a heavy slot through AFRC and a fighter slot through ANG.  Because of the processing of paperwork, it's very likely the AFRC unit will come back with OTS/UPT dates a couple/few months ahead of the ANG unit (I'm FCI/MFS approved).  However, I'm leaning towards the fighter slot in the ANG, thus requiring me to turn down a sure thing when AFRC comes back with dates for a should-be thing with ANG.  

I've spent the past month weighing all the pros and cons of the age old question "fighters or heavies?" and I've concluded that for me and my family they shake out to be about even; my heart is just pulling me to fighters.  Here's the kicker, I'm 28 with an imperfect background, so I see this as my last chance at UPT and am trying not to dick it up.  I already feel like a douche for likely having to call one squadron and tell them all the work they put in getting me this far was for nothing.  I've read on this forum "those that get greedy, sometimes don't go to UPT at all" and I'm concerned about that.  

All that said - What would you do?  Am I batshit crazy to turn down a T-1 slot in hand for the (likely) possibility of a -38 slot a few months from now?

Thank in advance.

I got hired at 31, so being 28 is not necessarily your last chance. If you go fighters, just be sure that your ANG unit is confident that they can get you into UPT by age 30. 

I got hired at 28. If you're already hired, there shouldn't be any reason for you to be concerned about age anymore. Your unit isn't going to lose one of their UPT slots because they screwed up and didn't get a guy they hired into training on time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank in advance.

I got hired in April 2015 and will be in UPT in April 2016 for an ANG slot and had a delay for the Security Clearance system being down . I was non prior, no waivers and a PPL. So you can definitely get there prior to turning 30. Also your unit should be able to rush your stuff through faster, I know they did that for one of our guys who is back on seasoning orders now. 

Thanks for the replies.

You're right, age isn't the main concern. The main concern is my imperfect background to which AFRC has already approved and NGB could still disapprove. So my dilemma is turning down a sure thing T-1 slot for the maybe T-38 and potentially being left with a big goose egg, if NGB turns me down.

Eh, it sounds like I'm prob overthinking this thing...

Perhaps the more direct question is:

What are the odds NGB will disapprove a cat 2 drug waiver after the wing and state TAG has already approved it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by thedude
add question

I just got picked up by an ANG board and I went through MEPS after i got selected... Do they want you to go to MEPS before the Board date?

I'm ANG now and got picked up by AD, this trip to MEPS was after selection.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 6:34 AM, thedude said:

Thanks for the replies.

You're right, age isn't the main concern. The main concern is my imperfect background to which AFRC has already approved and NGB could still disapprove. So my dilemma is turning down a sure thing T-1 slot for the maybe T-38 and potentially being left with a big goose egg, if NGB turns me down.

Eh, it sounds like I'm prob overthinking this thing...

Perhaps the more direct question is:

What are the odds NGB will disapprove a cat 2 drug waiver after the wing and state TAG has already approved it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Is the ANG unit aware of the drug waiver? What has leadership said? I assume since they're offering you a job, they're reasonably confident that they can get it approved. Of course, no one would be able to totally calm your fears by saying "Yes, this will definitely work..."

It's just one more point in the path to becoming a USAF pilot where you're laying your future in someone else's hands.

For what it's worth (read: nothing) if AFRC approved it, there's probably a reasonable chance that the NGB will also. Without more specifics, it would be hard to comment further.

As for the Heavies vs Fighters aspect. That's a whole other onion. The only thing I will say is that if the opportunity to fly fighters doesn't make this a clear choice for you, then you may want to look at the reasons you're thinking about fighters in the first place (and that's not a jab at either community....).