If you had the choice - Manned Reserve VS Active Duty RPA

What is it about being rpa that is so terrible? ?? I'm in urt and am enjoying it so far, and wondering what we have to look forward to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I can't speak to what is in the future but I can tell you that sitting in a box playing with a computer screen 7,000 miles from the flight compared to the pure fking awesomeness of flying a manned aircraft is what is wrong with it. Ya sure, someone has to do it. It can be you. I would much rather experience that kick in the pants when you push the power up for t/o, that feeling you get right when you rotate, or the view out a real wind shield at 40,000 ft. And the fact you enjoy URT. Sitting in class 8 hours a day is pure adrenaline. 

Well sorry but we can't all fly fighters. And I hear those are hardly dropping anymore. Id rather fly something with weapons than a heavy anyway, who cares if it's an rpa.

• Downvote 4

Well sorry but we can't all fly fighters. And I hear those are hardly dropping anymore. Id rather fly something with weapons than a heavy anyway, who cares if it's an rpa.

You're derailing, that isn't the dilemma in this thread. The dilemma is "do I take a chance catching my dream in UPT with a reserve unit, or take the rpa slot on ad."

If his dream is flying, he should fly.

Ok sure, that is a dilemma. The questions im going to ask are ones that haven't been brought up yet. My friend, have you been flying yet? Try getting a few hours and see if you really enjoy it and want that to be your job. The second question i would ask is what do you plan to do for your civilian job? You will be missing out on a lot of money by not going active. Sorry but I'm just trying to bring up some things to think about before you go through with this

• Downvote 1

Well this is an important job and someone has to do it!

I've had the misfortune of flying MQ-9s since 2012, important isn't a word I would use to describe my job.

I flew KC-135s prior to this RPA bullshit, it's a better life.  Killing people is fun, but you don't get to do it enough to justify accepting the bullshit.

Ok well since we're new to this we have to ask: is the money worth it and what would you be doing as a civilian? It's important to look at the contributions you get to make and have the perspective that you get to do something very few people get the chance to do.

• Downvote 2

If your dream is to fly you make the money thing work, don't pass up the opportunity to achieve your dream for money.  I knew guard/reserve guys at UPT that had enough debt from school/flying to buy a nice house. Every single one said it was 100% worth it, and now make way more than me in their civilian jobs. 

Heads up, I'm in AFROTC trying to get a UPT slot for the reserves and my recruiter said that they cant work with AFROTC cadets that are graduating after 31 December 2015. AFPC is trying to stop it.. 

Ok well since we're new to this we have to ask: is the money worth it and what would you be doing as a civilian? It's important to look at the contributions you get to make and have the perspective that you get to do something very few people get the chance to do.

Just stop

Go Navy, they're actually happy about their branch of choice. AF peeps seem bitter about life. Not even the Marines flying Uav's hate it as much as the people on here. Lots of full time jobs available in the reserves. Working as anything other than a pilot as a civilian would be  difficult.  Good luck with your decision. 

• Downvote 1

Go Navy, they're actually happy about their branch of choice. AF peeps seem bitter about life. Not even the Marines flying Uav's hate it as much as the people on here. Lots of full time jobs available in the reserves. Working as anything other than a pilot as a civilian would be  difficult.  Good luck with your decision. 

Based on your vast experience in the military, I assume.

Ok sure, that is a dilemma. The questions im going to ask are ones that haven't been brought up yet. My friend, have you been flying yet? Try getting a few hours and see if you really enjoy it and want that to be your job. The second question i would ask is what do you plan to do for your civilian job? You will be missing out on a lot of money by not going active. Sorry but I'm just trying to bring up some things to think about before you go through with this

Yes sir, I have flight hours. It is something I love to do. In AFROTC you compete for all 4 rated (Pilot, RPA, CSO, ABM) and manned was actually my first choice, but I got picked up for RPA. I am not complaining by any means. I do appreciate you being the devils advocate though. If I go reserve I plan on being in the corporate world until I've built enough hours to go to the airlines. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/1/2015 at 1:32 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Go for Option 3:  

Try to get the Reserve pilot slot converted to a Guard pilot slot.  

You're welcome.  

Bringing this thread back to life here!

Does this just mean, applying to a Guard slot separately, or is there some way to convert a Reserve pilot slot to a Guard pilot slot? 

Also, if you were selected to fill a Reserve slot, down the line would you ever be able to transfer to a Guard Unit?

Yes, yes and yes....but it depends on your timing.  Apply to the Guard slot as well as the reserve slot, there is no way to convert it in the hiring phase, only once a graduate of UPT, and on occasion once in UPT.  Don't think the ANG will hire you just because you are a Reserve hire, it doesn't work that way.

You were selected for RPA and now trying for a manned airplane is what I'm smelling, or heavy wanting fighter, it doesn't work like that.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 2

From my (limited) experience, it seems like the Reserves are a bit less selective than Guard Units, but I would like to end up eventually at a Guard Unit. I just am trying to weigh out if the best option is if selected for the Reserve slot to take that and hope to transfer to a closer Guard unit later, or wait and Apply to more Guard units and hope things work out.

Also with the Reserves, route to OTS and UPT is much much quicker, whereas the Units I'm looking at are a year or two down the line. 

Edited by highflyer
  • Upvote 1

Active duty and RPA are two things I have zero interest in. Reserve and manned are two things I have total interest in. Choice is easy for me but I guess everyone is different. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, highflyer said:

From my (limited) experience, it seems like the Reserves are a bit less selective than Guard Units, but I would like to end up eventually at a Guard Unit. I just am trying to weigh out if the best option is if selected for the Reserve slot to take that and hope to transfer to a closer Guard unit later, or wait and Apply to more Guard units and hope things work out.

Also with the Reserves, route to OTS and UPT is much much quicker, whereas the Units I'm looking at are a year or two down the line. 

I have never heard of a difference in selectivity between the guard and reserves. Certain units are often more competitive but that has more to do with location than anything (IMO). There are some structural differences that make the organizations different, but they are similar enough that I would not use their parent organizations as a decision point at all. 

Apply to the units that fly the airplanes you want, and are in a location you want to live in. In my experience, there are good dudes (and a couple weirdos) in every squadron. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, highflyer said:

This is wrong on many (maybe all) accounts. It is extremely competitive for any manned air frame and from my experience interviewing at guard and reserve units for a few years it seemed pretty similar. Also from what I've heard, trying to switch units early on is a great way to screw yourself over. I've heard of people getting kicked out of training and blacklisted for attempting that so be careful. Also I also thought that the Reserve route would be faster, and maybe it is for some, but for me it ended up being 16 months from unit sponsorship to OTS. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The real question is, what propaganda are they feeding cadets that makes them think this is a tough choice? 

What do ya mean?

I actually don't believe that recruiters will lie to you, but I definitely think that they will stretch the truth about some things, that's why these forums are great, almost just to fact check.

Edited by highflyer

2 hours ago, bb17 said:

Active duty and RPA are two things I have zero interest in. Reserve and manned are two things I have total interest in. Choice is easy for me but I guess everyone is different. 

For you, why did you decide reserve over active duty?