Ranger Pilot Operator: Video Game Inspired Stuff

The Trinity Kid

I hate to break it to you, but we don't have any 1942 stuff left. Our oldest planes are from the 50's. Some did fly in Vietnam though.

Obviously.  But I never said anything about using them in modern times, now did I?  I just said that the planes were animated well. 

(Though, in the Vietnam game, they don't have any of the planes from that time period that cross into modern times.  Well, they do have Mig-21s, but I don't think there are many of those left.)

--TK

Trinity Kid-

I'm sure that many members of this board applaud your enthusiasm for becoming a military pilot.  All of us, even the most salty, have shared your dream at one point or another. At some time in our lives we watched military movies or played video games that started the desire to do cool pilot shit.  Most of the images we had in our minds were extremely unrealistic and we eventually found out how the sausage is actually made (STS).  There are definitely shitty, boring, and hair-pulling times in the military, but during the best times it's still one of the most amazing jobs in the world.

But here's the deal: do your research first before engaging a bunch of real-world qualified dudes with questions out of left field.  Read everything you can about military aviation.  UTFSF.  You've been a member since 22 Aug, there's now way you've read the relevant topics on here yet.  The internet is both a blessing and curse; while you've got all the world's information at you fingertips, you've also got the potential to post your silly questions for the world to see for posterity.  I'm glad that Facebook and Baseops weren't around when I was in high school; I was a dipshit (it's an ongoing recovery process).

But anyway, you seem like a nice kid, so here's the answer to all your questions: study hard, be a bro, and try to be an Air Force or Navy pilot.  There will be stupid bullshit bureaucracy that will make you want to pick up a gun and go outside the wire, but don't do that.  And don't join the Army.  If you want to learn to shoot at people with a rifle, be a Marine pilot.  If you want info on flying off of a boat, go to airwarriors.com and read everything you can there before asking anybody anything.  Your questions have already been asked by someone somewhere.

Also, go fly a plane if you haven't yet.  You may think it sucks.

Trinity Kid-

I'm sure that many members of this board applaud your enthusiasm for becoming a military pilot.  All of us, even the most salty, have shared your dream at one point or another. At some time in our lives we watched military movies or played video games that started the desire to do cool pilot shit.  Most of the images we had in our minds were extremely unrealistic and we eventually found out how the sausage is actually made (STS).  There are definitely shitty, boring, and hair-pulling times in the military, but during the best times it's still one of the most amazing jobs in the world.

But here's the deal: do your research first before engaging a bunch of real-world qualified dudes with questions out of left field.  Read everything you can about military aviation.  UTFSF.  You've been a member since 22 Aug, there's now way you've read the relevant topics on here yet.  The internet is both a blessing and curse; while you've got all the world's information at you fingertips, you've also got the potential to post your silly questions for the world to see for posterity.  I'm glad that Facebook and Baseops weren't around when I was in high school; I was a dipshit (it's an ongoing recovery process).

But anyway, you seem like a nice kid, so here's the answer to all your questions: study hard, be a bro, and try to be an Air Force or Navy pilot.  There will be stupid bullshit bureaucracy that will make you want to pick up a gun and go outside the wire, but don't do that.  And don't join the Army.  If you want to learn to shoot at people with a rifle, be a Marine pilot.  If you want info on flying off of a boat, go to airwarriors.com and read everything you can there before asking anybody anything.  Your questions have already been asked by someone somewhere.

Also, go fly a plane if you haven't yet.  You may think it sucks.

when i was a cadet in ROTC, i got a ride on a kc135. I was lucky enough to be allowed in the cockpit of said ride when I asked- no shit - "where do you adjust the mixture". this wasn't even the dumbest thing i said at that age, and yet the government has let me fly it's magical death chairs all around the world. if there was hope for me, there's hope for you- just get off your playstation, go hit on a broad or two and sign up for pilot training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Good point. Actually now that I think about it, one of my UPT buddies did something similar. Former marine door kicker, now pilot. You can guess which one he prefers.

Guy in my squadron used to be Army infantry. Wound up with multiple Purple Hearts before going the pilot route. I can't speak for him, but that sounds less fun to me than chasing girls in college and heading straight to UPT.

Guy in my squadron used to be Army infantry. Wound up with multiple Purple Hearts before going the pilot route. I can't speak for him, but that sounds less fun to me than chasing girls in college and heading straight to UPT.

I won't speak for him, but I wouldn't trade my door kicking time for anything. I was certainly ready for the next step by the end of it though.

Hello friend. The most important thing is to first ignore the whining you find on this board. Yes lots of people are being sent to rpas but it's an awesome assignment and honestly you take what they give you and do your best. Don't let the negativity you see here discourage you. An amazing adventure awaits!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• Downvote 2

Hello friend. The most important thing is to first ignore the whining you find on this board. Yes lots of people are being sent to rpas but it's an awesome assignment and honestly you take what they give you and do your best. Don't let the negativity you see here discourage you. An amazing adventure awaits!

Shut the fuck up, SNAP.

How's URT going? Have you gone to IFS yet?

when i was a cadet in ROTC, i got a ride on a kc135. I was lucky enough to be allowed in the cockpit of said ride when I asked- no shit - "where do you adjust the mixture".

Rookie mistake.  Everyone knows the chemtrail mixture is adjusted by the boom operator at the boom station in the -135....

• Upvote 4