Ranger Pilot Operator: Video Game Inspired Stuff

The Trinity Kid

Good day all.

The other day I was talking to a fellow at school about our proposed military careers.  I'm going for AF pilot, and he's heading Army Pilot.  Anyway, the discussion came back toward Battlefield, and the way that people can fly planes, etc. and a thought came to us.  So here's the progression:
1: Since pilots can only fly so many hours a day, and are only on duty for a couple days at a time, does that carry over to front line deployment(i.e. bombing runs in Afghanistan, Iraq)?
2:  If it does, what does one do on their time off?  Here's where the Ranger stuff comes in.

3:  If a pilot were Airborne, and Ranger qualified, would they be allowed to go out with the ground-pounders, for a patrol of a road, or something like that?

Just curious.

--TK

Come on guys, he just wants to be as cool as us.  Don't get discouraged, Trinity Kid, if a normal ordinary guy like me can do learn to do awesome stuff in and out of the jet, so can you.  Why here's some video of a sweet move I pulled off just last week:

http://orig13.deviantart.net/641d/f/2012/020/3/0/battlefield_3_gif_1_by_mechadeku-d4mzsl9.gif

Edited by Majestik Møøse
  • Upvote 1

Trinity Kid,

I saw from your other post to the forums that you're a 17 year old High School Senior.  I'll keep that in mind as I do my best to answer what I think you're asking.  Here goes.

1.  This forum is mostly comprised of current, former, and aspiring military aviators (and a few other disciplines).  We actually do some of the stuff you, and lots of other people, fantasize about doing while you're playing those video games.  Some of it is real, but much of it is fantasy.  There are some pretty big differences, mostly in the stakes associated with winning or losing for us, our coworkers, and a whole bunch of innocent people we try to defend.  Note: we're normal people who play videogames too; for many of us, mostly as a way to blow off some stress while deployed.

2.  You're looking at a very narrow element of our occupation if you think we just fly and have lots of free time.  If you're the kind of person that only wants to think about flying while you're flying, you're not going to be very good at it.  We know that, so we spend lots of our time on the ground studying (just like high school, but with explosions).  We also spend much of our time on the ground performing administrative duties, everything from leading/training our young folks to recordkeeping to scheduling.  The admin work takes tons of time, but it helps us develop as military officers.  We also have time off work to spend with our families and our hobbies.  We go to church, our kids little league games, shopping with our wives, work parties, and a few people even play video games.  The way you choose to balance and prioritize those three areas, combined with your aptitude, determine how good of an aviator, an officer, and a husband/father you are.

3.  There are ways to do something like what you're talking about if that's your goal.  Combat pilots can do an Air Liaison Officer tour with the Army to learn to coordinate airstrikes from the ground perspective.  It's usually a few years out of the cockpit, and you're not an infantryman kicking down doors, but it's kind of what you're talking about.  Also, some aviation disciplines (rescue helicopters, special forces, rpa's, and close air support) integrate very closely with ground parties.  You won't be the guy kicking down doors, but you'll watch or help them do it.

Final advice.  I tried to keep the sarcasm out, but it was tough.  Remember you're talking to a group of professionals here that really do these things.  We love to help where we can, but the way you phrased your questions didn't come across well.  One of the first rules we teach our young aviators is to think before you speak.  Our jobs are not video games, and don't work the same way.  If you want to be an Army Ranger, pursue it with all your heart.  If you want to be an AF pilot, pursue it with all your heart (and start that path by rocking college).  Pick one. 

• Upvote 7

Trinity Kid,

I saw from your other post to the forums that you're a 17 year old High School Senior.  I'll keep that in mind as I do my best to answer what I think you're asking.  Here goes.

1.  This forum is mostly comprised of current, former, and aspiring military aviators (and a few other disciplines).  We actually do some of the stuff you, and lots of other people, fantasize about doing while you're playing those video games.  Some of it is real, but much of it is fantasy.  There are some pretty big differences, mostly in the stakes associated with winning or losing for us, our coworkers, and a whole bunch of innocent people we try to defend.  Note: we're normal people who play videogames too; for many of us, mostly as a way to blow off some stress while deployed.

2.  You're looking at a very narrow element of our occupation if you think we just fly and have lots of free time.  If you're the kind of person that only wants to think about flying while you're flying, you're not going to be very good at it.  We know that, so we spend lots of our time on the ground studying (just like high school, but with explosions).  We also spend much of our time on the ground performing administrative duties, everything from leading/training our young folks to recordkeeping to scheduling.  The admin work takes tons of time, but it helps us develop as military officers.  We also have time off work to spend with our families and our hobbies.  We go to church, our kids little league games, shopping with our wives, work parties, and a few people even play video games.  The way you choose to balance and prioritize those three areas, combined with your aptitude, determine how good of an aviator, an officer, and a husband/father you are.

3.  There are ways to do something like what you're talking about if that's your goal.  Combat pilots can do an Air Liaison Officer tour with the Army to learn to coordinate airstrikes from the ground perspective.  It's usually a few years out of the cockpit, and you're not an infantryman kicking down doors, but it's kind of what you're talking about.  Also, some aviation disciplines (rescue helicopters, special forces, rpa's, and close air support) integrate very closely with ground parties.  You won't be the guy kicking down doors, but you'll watch or help them do it.

Final advice.  I tried to keep the sarcasm out, but it was tough.  Remember you're talking to a group of professionals here that really do these things.  We love to help where we can, but the way you phrased your questions didn't come across well.  One of the first rules we teach our young aviators is to think before you speak.  Our jobs are not video games, and don't work the same way.  If you want to be an Army Ranger, pursue it with all your heart.  If you want to be an AF pilot, pursue it with all your heart (and start that path by rocking college).  Pick one. 

THANK YOU!  This was the type of answer I was looking for!

I suppose my question could have been worded a little (lot?) better/ more clearly.   Anyway, clarification may be in order. 

I have devoted my academic life to being an AF pilot since I was little.  As for my friend, I don't know what he wants to fly other than helicopters, or when he decided to be a pilot.  What I do know is that neither of us are "gamers."  We were curious if there was any truth to the humorous antics of the "corny combat simulator."   That's the thing about the world, sometimes ludicrous things have a slight kernel of truth.  In this case, there was, even if it was tiny.

I may have put this in the wrong section, and if so,  oops.

Am I coming across as a bit of an ass-hole?

--TK

...the discussion came back toward Battlefield,...

For those of us who who had 1000 hours in one aircraft type, and 2000 hours in another before this kid was born in 1998, and who now need a nap and an Ensure to get through the day...  what is "Battlefield"?

• Upvote 4

For those of us who who had 1000 hours in one aircraft type, and 2000 hours in another before this kid was born in 1998, and who now need a nap and an Ensure to get through the day...  what is "Battlefield"?

it's a (rather stupid) video game.  I don't play it much, but the aircraft in it are actually very correct looking.

--TK

You can definitely be an Air Force pilot and go through Ranger school, but that doesn't mean you'll be in Ranger Regiment doing Ranger shit!

ETA: I'm only thinking in one direction. I guess you could totally be an Army Ranger and then later in your career get commissioned and become a pilot.

You can definitely be an Air Force pilot and go through Ranger school, but that doesn't mean you'll be in Ranger Regiment doing Ranger shit!

ETA: I'm only thinking in one direction. I guess you could totally be an Army Ranger and then later in your career get commissioned and become a pilot.

That would be the direction I was referring to.