Jump to content
Baseops Forums

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Hacker, 

Knowing you, you had a camera lined up on the mid-air, and have magazine-ready photos to prove it.  

Great to see you!!  But 3 minutes in passing on the ramp isn't enough to catch up, Amigo.  

ICAS is only 76 days... hope to see you at our "event".   

I was actually over on the east side of the course at Pylon 2, so I didn't see it (fortunately?  unfortunately?). I heard the mayday on the race control freq, and watched the second jet do a battle damage check with the pace plane through my camera.

The best part was talking to Marilyn Dash, who was doing the commentating on the NBC Sports and internet live feed, after the incident.  She is known to be quite "colorful" with her language, and she told me, "I've never come so close to yelling 'OH SHIT!!' to an audience of untold thousands as when I saw that midair."  I think that would have been epic, personally...but probably not good for the commentating career.

Looked like you were having fun with the Patriots, tho.  And, yes, of course I will hoist a brew with you at ICAS -- wouldn't miss it!

Edited by Hacker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Do they maintain ejection seats on those things?

Some do, most don’t. 

Most of the race L-39s I’ve flown do not. 

All eight of the Patriot L-39s have hot seats.

I've never flown an L-29... racer or not... that had hot seats.  

 

Edited by HuggyU2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Out of curiosity, how often do aircraft in the military during formation touch wing tips and is there a procedure if it happens?  

Typically a maneuver reserved for the Thunderbirds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Typically a maneuver reserved for the Thunderbirds.

Smack Mack's short stint as #3 on the TBirds back in '99 is a good example.  I'm assuming he got his callsign prior to being on the team.  Ironic.  

But, it didn't slow his career down:  https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/467062/major-general-russell-l-mack/

I remember many years ago when the Blue Angel solo's did an opposing hit that was closer than normal.  Post-flight look found that the missile rails actually scraped.  800+ miles per hour closure, and it was a perfect scrape... just enough to take the paint off.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Smack Mack's short stint as #3 on the TBirds back in '99 is a good example.  I'm assuming he got his callsign prior to being on the team.  Ironic.  

But, it didn't slow his career down:  https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/467062/major-general-russell-l-mack/

I remember many years ago when the Blue Angel solo's did an opposing hit that was closer than normal.  Post-flight look found that the missile rails actually scraped.  800+ miles per hour closure, and it was a perfect scrape... just enough to take the paint off.  

 

As of late it seems to be fuck up, move up...but I digress.

When I was at Laughlin back before the dawn of time, #4 stuck the top of his tail in leads AB.  They left the jet at Laughlin for a couple weeks while they repaired it.  We got a close up look right after it happened and I remember thinking how close he had to be to get that kind of damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mcbush said:

How’d he go from being an A-10 dude to a T-Bird?

There have been many A-10 pilots on the Thunderbirds.  

I don't know about now, but there was a time when the solos couldn't be Eagle guys... only A-10, Viper, or Strike Eagle types.  

Edited by HuggyU2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

As of late it seems to be fuck up, move up...but I digress.

When I was at Laughlin back before the dawn of time, #4 stuck the top of his tail in leads AB.  They left the jet at Laughlin for a couple weeks while they repaired it.  We got a close up look right after it happened and I remember thinking how close he had to be to get that kind of damage.

There was a Reservist who flew #4 as Slot.  They got the new F-16 allowing a loop immediately after takeoff using AB to get over the top.  He tucked into the slot after takeoff as usual and got his vertical tail cooked by leads burner plume causing all sorts of damage.  He didn't know this until after the show.  I can't recall him saying where this occurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Breckey said:

RUMINT from the March mishap was that 4 hit 3.

If you are referring to fatal crash that was not the case at all, report is on AFSAS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2018 at 6:20 AM, billy pilgrim said:

 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:44 AM, Breckey said:

Not with the Vne limit. Some of the Unlimited classes are pushing 500+ knots

Not even close.  410-440 knots is more like the Unlimited Gold speeds in years past.  

This year, it wasn't even close to those speeds since the fastest Unlimiteds didn't show up.  

Edited by HuggyU2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some pics from the flying in between the racing.

Jim Bryant is a photographer that doesn't crop, doesn't use PhotoShop, and only shoots in one-shot mode.  He does very nice work, as you can see.  

Missing Man.JPG

Delta Pass.JPG

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 10:26 PM, HuggyU2 said:

Here are some pics from the flying in between the racing.

Jim Bryant is a photographer that doesn't crop, doesn't use PhotoShop, and only shoots in one-shot mode.  He does very nice work, as you can see.  

Missing Man.JPG

Delta Pass.JPG

Which one are you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Have any modern military jets ever set lap times?

No.  Also to race Reno, the aircraft cannot be "swept wing".  

Lots of L-39's and one L-139.  I expect an L-159 will eventually get there.  

A few years back, the Snowbirds finished their 9-ship demo, and instead of landing, they all took off for the pylons and  did a lap.  It was hilarious, and they had a good time.  

The jet course is small enough that if a "modern" and much faster jet flies it, it will be a constant 6+ G's around the course.  

Which one are you? 

1B.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×