HuggyU2

12 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Hacker, 

Knowing you, you had a camera lined up on the mid-air, and have magazine-ready photos to prove it.  

Great to see you!!  But 3 minutes in passing on the ramp isn't enough to catch up, Amigo.  

ICAS is only 76 days... hope to see you at our "event".   

I was actually over on the east side of the course at Pylon 2, so I didn't see it (fortunately?  unfortunately?). I heard the mayday on the race control freq, and watched the second jet do a battle damage check with the pace plane through my camera.

The best part was talking to Marilyn Dash, who was doing the commentating on the NBC Sports and internet live feed, after the incident.  She is known to be quite "colorful" with her language, and she told me, "I've never come so close to yelling 'OH SHIT!!' to an audience of untold thousands as when I saw that midair."  I think that would have been epic, personally...but probably not good for the commentating career.

Looked like you were having fun with the Patriots, tho.  And, yes, of course I will hoist a brew with you at ICAS -- wouldn't miss it!

Edited by Hacker

21 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Do they maintain ejection seats on those things?

Some do, most don’t. 

Most of the race L-39s I’ve flown do not. 

All eight of the Patriot L-39s have hot seats.

I've never flown an L-29... racer or not... that had hot seats.  

Edited by HuggyU2

8 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Typically a maneuver reserved for the Thunderbirds.

Smack Mack's short stint as #3 on the TBirds back in '99 is a good example.  I'm assuming he got his callsign prior to being on the team.  Ironic.  

But, it didn't slow his career down:  https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/467062/major-general-russell-l-mack/

I remember many years ago when the Blue Angel solo's did an opposing hit that was closer than normal.  Post-flight look found that the missile rails actually scraped.  800+ miles per hour closure, and it was a perfect scrape... just enough to take the paint off.  

11 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Smack Mack's short stint as #3 on the TBirds back in '99 is a good example.  I'm assuming he got his callsign prior to being on the team.  Ironic.  

But, it didn't slow his career down:  https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/467062/major-general-russell-l-mack/

I remember many years ago when the Blue Angel solo's did an opposing hit that was closer than normal.  Post-flight look found that the missile rails actually scraped.  800+ miles per hour closure, and it was a perfect scrape... just enough to take the paint off.  

As of late it seems to be fuck up, move up...but I digress.

When I was at Laughlin back before the dawn of time, #4 stuck the top of his tail in leads AB.  They left the jet at Laughlin for a couple weeks while they repaired it.  We got a close up look right after it happened and I remember thinking how close he had to be to get that kind of damage.

10 hours ago, mcbush said:

How’d he go from being an A-10 dude to a T-Bird?

There have been many A-10 pilots on the Thunderbirds.  

I don't know about now, but there was a time when the solos couldn't be Eagle guys... only A-10, Viper, or Strike Eagle types.  

Edited by HuggyU2

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

As of late it seems to be fuck up, move up...but I digress.

When I was at Laughlin back before the dawn of time, #4 stuck the top of his tail in leads AB.  They left the jet at Laughlin for a couple weeks while they repaired it.  We got a close up look right after it happened and I remember thinking how close he had to be to get that kind of damage.

There was a Reservist who flew #4 as Slot.  They got the new F-16 allowing a loop immediately after takeoff using AB to get over the top.  He tucked into the slot after takeoff as usual and got his vertical tail cooked by leads burner plume causing all sorts of damage.  He didn't know this until after the show.  I can't recall him saying where this occurred.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:20 AM, billy pilgrim said:

On 9/29/2018 at 8:44 AM, Breckey said:

Not with the Vne limit. Some of the Unlimited classes are pushing 500+ knots

Not even close.  410-440 knots is more like the Unlimited Gold speeds in years past.  

This year, it wasn't even close to those speeds since the fastest Unlimiteds didn't show up.  

Edited by HuggyU2

Here are some pics from the flying in between the racing.

Jim Bryant is a photographer that doesn't crop, doesn't use PhotoShop, and only shoots in one-shot mode.  He does very nice work, as you can see.  

Missing Man.JPG

Delta Pass.JPG

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Have any modern military jets ever set lap times?

No.  Also to race Reno, the aircraft cannot be "swept wing".  

Lots of L-39's and one L-139.  I expect an L-159 will eventually get there.  

A few years back, the Snowbirds finished their 9-ship demo, and instead of landing, they all took off for the pylons and  did a lap.  It was hilarious, and they had a good time.  

The jet course is small enough that if a "modern" and much faster jet flies it, it will be a constant 6+ G's around the course.  

Which one are you? 

1B.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 3

• 11 months later...

After "working" the show last year and getting almost no time in Box 102, it was great to go as a spectator and just enjoy.  

Friday and Saturday saw spectacular weather and great flying.  

U-2 pilot Popeye Thomson raced in the Bi-plane class and finished third in the Gold category.  The final bi-plane race was cancelled due to winds on Sunday.  Too bad as he wanted to race more.  

U-2 pilot Nova Beaubien's plane was out this year getting the engine rebuilt, but he was asked to fly the pace plane... pretty cool!

Didn't see Hacker, but I'm guessing he was working hard like he usually does, and probably got some great photos.  

TBirds show looked to have a few new things, and overall I enjoyed it.  Glad to see them make needed changes to make it look better and keep jets in front of the crowd more.  

STOL drag racing has become a big deal, and it was incorporated in to Reno this year.  Unfortunately, Draco crashed departing Reno today and was destroyed.  Mike Patey's ok thankfully.  The Crash itself is about the 6:18 point in the video.  Some very good lessons in "decision making" on Mike's very humble recollection of how he ended up in this situation.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 6

• 2 years later...

Despite what the panzies say, Reno will be a "covid free zone". 

So... are you going?  Would certainly enjoy saying hi to anyone from here that stops by.  

If all goes well. I'll be there displaying (static only) the A-37B at the National Aviation Heritage Invitational... a judging event for "older" aircraft.  The story behind this airplane is amazing.  For example, it was flown by the South... AND North... Vietnamese air forces.  

Stop by and say hi.  

My good friend Mark flew the first display in it just 2 months ago... topping off a 20+ year restoration.  It goes like a scalded cat.  Mark's skills as a pilot are noteworthy.  

It will probably look a bit different since we will likely drop the smoke system, and put on additional underwing stores for more "authenticity".  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 8

On 8/24/2022 at 11:36 PM, HuggyU2 said:

Despite what the panzies say, Reno will be a "covid free zone". 

It will probably look a bit different since we will likely drop the smoke system, and put on additional underwing stores for more "authenticity".  

Don't forget to add two more wing tanks and wear your scarf.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 11:36 PM, HuggyU2 said:

My good friend Mark flew the first display in it just 2 months ago... topping off a 20+ year restoration. 

Doesn’t quite whistle like the 6k# Dog Whistle it was based on, but still looks purty in flight.