Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kiloalpha

Question Regarding Unsponsored AFRC Slot

I've searched and haven't found a concrete answer to this question. If there's a thread that I've missed, I promise to sign up for next semester's "google-fu 101". 

I understand the AFRC Unsponsored Boards and the fact that they pre-screen candidates for Reserve units. However, the status of someone chosen by the AFRC board seems to be a gray area. For instance, say that I was to be selected unsponsored. I'll have a period of time to search for a unit and then will be shipped off to OTS and UPT. Can I continue to search for both ANG and AFRC pilot openings in that timeframe? Say that I was able to get a pilot slot with the ANG flying my ideal airframe shortly after being selected as Unsponsored by AFRC. Could I simply reposition as an ANG OTS candidate or can I drop my unsponsored selection?

In layman's terms: If you accept an AFRC unsponsored slot, are you then officially contracted and bound to the AF Reserve and can no longer look at ANG units?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

v/r,

Alpha

That would make sense, but when does one "enlist"? Right before OTS? Right after accepting the offer from the Unsponsored Board?

Typically a short time after receiving the offer. They will not schedule your OTS/UPT dates until you enlist.

Edited by at14
  • Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

Just a curiosity question here. What are your opinions on the following score?

Pilot 27    Nav 34    Acad  38   Verb 12    Quant 70

romeas,

There's a section on here called "What are my chances?" that might give you more insight on this. But, at first glance they're low. The regs that I've seen say that your Acad+Verb+Quant have to equal 150 or higher. You're currently at 120. I'm assuming that you want to fly, and what my recruiter has told me is you want to shoot for at least 50 on the Pilot and Nav sections to be competitive for selection so you're a little low there too.

Don't give up though, you can take the AFOQT again. I'd buy a prep book and study hard in your weak areas, being careful to time yourself so you get used to the time crunch. I used Barron's and the official AETC stuff online but I'm sure most prep books will work. If there's any other way I can help just shoot me a message and I'll try as best I can.

Hello everyone,

Just a curiosity question here. What are your opinions on the following score?

Pilot 27    Nav 34    Acad  38   Verb 12    Quant 70

Ouch, those are really really bad, just being honest. However, you can study up and try again. 

• Upvote 1

romeas,

There's a section on here called "What are my chances?" that might give you more insight on this. But, at first glance they're low. The regs that I've seen say that your Acad+Verb+Quant have to equal 150 or higher. You're currently at 120. I'm assuming that you want to fly, and what my recruiter has told me is you want to shoot for at least 50 on the Pilot and Nav sections to be competitive for selection so you're a little low there too.

Don't give up though, you can take the AFOQT again. I'd buy a prep book and study hard in your weak areas, being careful to time yourself so you get used to the time crunch. I used Barron's and the official AETC stuff online but I'm sure most prep books will work. If there's any other way I can help just shoot me a message and I'll try as best I can.

It isn't 150 or higher for the acad verb and quant. I think it's like 15 minimum each section (or close to it) but they must add up to 60 or something. Il check the reg tomorrow.

As others have said though, worth retaking for sure . I just looked at the recent AFRC unsponsored selectees and they had an avg score in the 60s for most scores, 90s for pilot and 80s for nav

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Can you post the link to where you apply for a unsponsored slot? I cant find any info on it?

Use the AFRC chat or call to get the contact info for your regional officer ascension recruiter. You can't submit your own packet.

Edited by Sledge Hammer

Has anyone gone from AD line officer to Reserve/Guard Rated?  If so, can you bust an ADSC for TA considering you'll end up on Title 10 for UPT right away?  I'm sure it is way more complicated than that but wanted to see if anyone has previous experience with the jump.

1. Yes, I have seen plenty of folks do this.

2. No idea.  Talk to your In-Service Recruiter/MPS.

Not much of an answer, I know.

Use the AFRC chat or call to get the contact info for your regional officer ascension recruiter. You can't submit your own packet.

This.  Civilians apply through an Officer Accessions Recruiter.  Existing servicemembers work with their MPS.  Not very user friendly, but that's life.

After receiving my pilot slot, I was asked to sign a sheet of paper with this wonderful statement on it, "However, if I am not offered employment by any AFRC units, I will receive an assignment in accordance with the needs of the AF Reserve near the end of my UFT training.  The needs of the Air Force Reserve can include Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot (RPA Pilot). " You might do great in training, but if you don't get picked up by a unit you might get stuck flying RC planes for the next 10 years.

Edited by at14

I was going to start a new thread, but this question seemed somewhat related to the original post, albeit Guard instead of Reserve.

A Guard unit has asked me to swear in/enlist in order to process my pilot application package (and waiver) through NGB.  Is there any commitment/obligation on my part if NGB disapproved my package for some reason?  Or would I then just be released and could apply to Reserve units?  Thanks in advance.

I was going to start a new thread, but this question seemed somewhat related to the original post, albeit Guard instead of Reserve.

A Guard unit has asked me to swear in/enlist in order to process my pilot application package (and waiver) through NGB.  Is there any commitment/obligation on my part if NGB disapproved my package for some reason?  Or would I then just be released and could apply to Reserve units?  Thanks in advance.

Jumpseat, 

If you sign the paper that says "Jumpseat18... E-4" or whatever and you swear in, I'd assume that there's a service obligation if the contract doesn't play out. I can't tell you for sure, but be sure to read that paperwork. Hopefully someone on here will chime in with an answer for you.

Edited by Kiloalpha

Question for those in the know. Will they be accepting unsponsored applicants in the upcoming AFRC June board? and when is the deadline to submit the application for the June Board? Thanks in advance. 

Board is 14-15 June, deadline to submit is 27 May.  It's a combined sponsored/unsponsored board. 

Edited by 08Dawg

Does anyone know of any Reserve units looking to sponsor UPT applicants? I'm having a hard time finding any info on this. The ANG usually posts on their website when they have openings but I can't find anything on the Reserve units.

3 hours ago, willflyforfood said:

Does anyone know of any Reserve units looking to sponsor UPT applicants? I'm having a hard time finding any info on this. The ANG usually posts on their website when they have openings but I can't find anything on the Reserve units.

Yes, give this website a try.

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/

• Upvote 1