Moving across country for training - what expenses exactly does AFRC cover?

So I just got hired at a unit across the country. I currently am a homeowner and am okay with selling my house to make the move. I will need to move for UPT, PIQ, and finally to my unit. What assistance is provided to somebody in my situation? Thanks in advance for any help you could provide! 

They pay to ship your Household Goods (HHG) to UPT and back to your home of record after UPT.  You will be TDY at PIQ and any other training.  Therefore,  your HHG will be at your home while you are at training.

You will get Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for your UPT location.  You will have to either rent out your current home or sell it before UPT; unless you can carry the mortgage for 13 months while at UPT.

Well, I will probably actually not sell the house until after PIQ. My wife has a good job and can float the mortgage no problem. Vicious3027, can you explain more about how you worked that out, and provide more specifics? Thanks! 

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Gtseth818 said:

I think the implication here is that you must be careful when receiving a housing allowance if a spouse is paying the bills.

Why would it matter if a spouse pays some of the bills out of a joint checking account? When in UPT if i am receiving BAH at my upt base but my spouse decides to stay put and not follow, so she then would need to pay a rent/mortgage. Is that not allowed if I am receiving BAH? 

Why would it matter if a spouse pays some of the bills out of a joint checking account? When in UPT if i am receiving BAH at my upt base but my spouse decides to stay put and not follow, so she then would need to pay a rent/mortgage. Is that not allowed if I am receiving BAH? 

It looks like there were some deleted posts removing some questionable recommendations

7 hours ago, FoxtrotNovemberGolf said:

What is the bad thing that shouldn't be done? Are you not allowed to keep your house through UPT? Or was a post removed/edited?

No it was staying in the UOQs (dorms) at UPT base WHILE getting BAH for your HOR.

It happens, but is illegal.

40 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

If you pay for the UOQs he would be in the clear correct?  He wouldn't be double dipping at that point

I don't know why you would do that. I don't even think you technically can. UOQs are government owned and they take the full rate BAH.

Funny how this thread is still relevant and very timely. Still waiting on dates 1.5 years later! Although at this point we're 50% considering just selling our house and experiencing the adventure together. 

Edited by bb17
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of UOQs and BAH, what's the current word on "geo-bacheloring?" Almost certainly not bringing my spouse to UPT, am I going to be forced to live in dorms? Can I live in dorms and get some sort of partial BAH? Or just split a rental house near base with a couple other students?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sforron said:

Speaking of UOQs and BAH, what's the current word on "geo-bacheloring?" Almost certainly not bringing my spouse to UPT, am I going to be forced to live in dorms? Can I live in dorms and get some sort of partial BAH? Or just split a rental house near base with a couple other students?

I'm kind of in the same boat and my spouse will be staying at our current home. I need to try and save as much money as possible so I really don't want to use my whole BAH to live in a dorm... Does anyone have any recent experience on what is allowed or not? My current plan is to buy an RV and find an RV park close to base. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

My wife changes her mind daily about whether or not she's coming... Lately she's been saying she wants to arrive "halfway" through... So count yourselves lucky.

Best of both worlds! A couple of my friends did that and it worked out fine. 

• Upvote 1

Question that I think could fit into this thread. I'm going up to enlist this weekend. I'm paying for the costs upfront. Going up a civilian and coming back a member of the Air Force will I be able to be reimbursed for the travel expenses?

14 hours ago, afpilotjobs said:

Question that I think could fit into this thread. I'm going up to enlist this weekend. I'm paying for the costs upfront. Going up a civilian and coming back a member of the Air Force will I be able to be reimbursed for the travel expenses?

Congrats! My immediate thought is no, because I commute to drill and am offered a hotel/barracks since I live far away. I would say that it may be possible to count the time you're up there retroactively as drill days. Ask you poc about doing RDs for enlisting and in-processing.

-Not an expert

I'm a married reservist currently living in the UOQs at UPT and my wife did not travel with me. She is currently staying at my HOR. I receive BAH for the base I am currently at. That is standard for unaccompanied guard and reservist. Single guys/gals will not get BAH while living in the UOQs.

I am also going through the process to get a BAH waiver that will pay me BAH for my HOR. I have been told the process takes 4 - 5 months, but generally they are approved. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, last_chance said:

I'm a married reservist currently living in the UOQs at UPT and my wife did not travel with me. She is currently staying at my HOR. I receive BAH for the base I am currently at. That is standard for unaccompanied guard and reservist. Single guys/gals will not get BAH while living in the UOQs.

I am also going through the process to get a BAH waiver that will pay me BAH for my HOR. I have been told the process takes 4 - 5 months, but generally they are approved. 

Is there a monthly "rent" for living in the UOQs in your situation, or you don't pay a dime and still get BAH? That sounds too good to be true haha. Yes, I understand you are still paying for your HOR but the AF usually doesn't care. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 8:26 AM, BLT135 said:

Is there a monthly "rent" for living in the UOQs in your situation, or you don't pay a dime and still get BAH? That sounds too good to be true haha. Yes, I understand you are still paying for your HOR but the AF usually doesn't care. 

I am not paying rent for the UOQs. I get my current locations BAH in full each month. It's a pretty nice deal.

• Upvote 2

Just a PIREP for others: I'm guard. My wife and daughter followed me to UPT. We got BAH, put it towards on base housing, was a good experience at Vance and also at Ft Rucker. We will be paying out of pocket for the TDY to ABQ to bring them with me. On a separate note - for some the personal decision of going accompanied/unaccompanied is a hard one. We knew from the outset that family cohesion would make me much more successful in training than going unaccompanied and having to work the additional stress from separation (the emotional upkeep), day to day remote family ops (mutual support, problems at daycare), whatever. So far has been worth it and frankly getting the full BAH that goes poof into on base housing has been well worth it IMHO. YMMV.