Tony Kern

HuggyU2

I've never paid attention to Kern's publications, and I have little knowledge of him. I seem to recall from past posts that there are some that do not agree with his opinions, especially in the single-pilot regime. 

I am considering him as a guest speaker for an event and would like your opinions if you have seen him talk/present. 

Thanks. 

I've seen Tony talk/present and would recommend him. He's a polished and professional speaker, good presence and can hold an audience. He is an authority in his field. He does not come across as arrogant. I assume you are already aware of his specialty, and it's a good fit for your event.

Agree with above.  First time I met him I was a sophomore at the Zoo and he was a senior major.  He starts in with some of his flying history then tells me about the two Masters he had plus a Doctorate and the couple books he's written.  We then end up talking for about an hour about hunting.  I think once he retired he ended up on the US Forest Service's payroll helping with their aviation branch and safety.  I never had him as an instructor but he was a speaker at an event I attended once - he is a very good speaker and did a great job conveying information to the audience in a very understandable manner.  I would recommend him as a speaker at an aviation (or hunting) related event...

Had him for two classes at the zoo.  One was a history class (don't recall which), and the other was an elective where we studied one of his books on safety and created a test question bank for a future class on it.

This was 16-17 years ago, but I remember him to be very personable and approachable.  He was also good in the classroom...always made the lessons interesting.

Thank you all for the feedback.  I'm in touch with his company.  Apparently, he has so much going on he doesn't present much anymore.  But his company has grown, and he has a couple of others that do the presentations.  

I'd say you'll be ok with him as a speaker, as long as your audience isn't the aerial firefighting industry. Not real popular within that world after his time with the USFS. I don't know if it is deserved or not, but that's the perception. 

He was an instructor of mine all four years at the zoo because I was a history major. I remember him as one of the more memorable ones and a good story teller.