What does a new reservist do between different phases of training?

What typically happens in the gaps between OTS, UPT, survival, and any other phases of training? Are you on casual status collecting a pay check while at home, or something else? 

Between training phases, for the most part, your unit is going to have your orders budded up next to the previous training dates. Between training, my unit has, for the most part, had me go back to the unit to wait for the next training phase.  You won't be on casual status at UPT or any other training phase. 

Once you you are on orders, you will remain on orders until you are completely done with training and a seasoning tour back home. 

• Upvote 2

Once you you are on orders, you will remain on orders until you are completely done with training and a seasoning tour back home. 

In a perfect world that'll happen. Not necessarily the case anymore. 

I don't know about AFRC, but in the guard nothing is for sure until it has already happened. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

Way late and a little off topic here - Does anyone have experience with having a kid during MEST/seasoning orders? 

I’m being told that being on MEST doesn’t qualify me for paternity leave, even though it’s for longer than 30 days. Any insight is appreciated.