Jump school in AF?

The Trinity Kid

Question

Greetings all.

I'm 17, and a Senior in highschool. (at current, I have been 1st in my class freshman and sophomore years, and was 2nd last year.  4.1GPA, with almost 20 transferable college credits already) I've already been accepted to Montana State University on an early acceptance. I am hoping to get an AFROTC scholarship, and then a pilot slot.  So here's the question:  Would going to Jump school increase my chances of getting a pilot slot?  Or more importantly, would an AF cadet even have a chance of getting in? 

anyway, maybe it's a silly question.  But the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

--TK

4 answers to this question

If you're talking about military jump school (like what you wear jump wings for), then you must be enlisted/commissioned to attend or go through USAFA's jump program. There are a handful of ROTC kids that get to go to that each summer, which is cool for them. But it won't make a difference for a pilot spot.

If you're talking about a civilian skydiving license...then no, it won't make a difference at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings all.

I'm 17, and a Senior in highschool. (at current, I have been 1st in my class freshman and sophomore years, and was 2nd last year.  4.1GPA, with almost 20 transferable college credits already) I've already been accepted to Montana State University on an early acceptance. I am hoping to get an AFROTC scholarship, and then a pilot slot.  So here's the question:  Would going to Jump school increase my chances of getting a pilot slot?  Or more importantly, would an AF cadet even have a chance of getting in? 

anyway, maybe it's a silly question.  But the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

--TK

Congrats on your successes thus far in high school.  Seriously, that is commendable.  

Before you sign anything, swing by the "General Discussion" forum and read threads such as "Leadership at the Died", "What's Wrong with the Air Force", "Aviation Continuation Pay", "Drone Pilots:  We Don't Get No Respect", "Promotion and PRF Information", and "Finance Problems"...  just to mention a few.  Don't post, just read and soak it in.  Also, if you're on Facebook, look up "John Q. Public".

Good luck.

Edited by Champ Kind

I'l be the witch here - while Champ, myself and everyone else have solid reasons for being disgruntled with AD and many dudes jump off the burning ship for those solid reasons, I would still absolutely recommend to you (or any young dude wanting to fly in the military) to go for it.  What you see in those threads referenced above is a lot of bitching (many valid) and negative outlooks derived from years of this lifestyle and dealing with the bullshit.  Do not read those threads and change your mind or lower your desire to serve and fly in the AF.  You may very well be "us" at 8+ years into your AD time, but despite all the assholes and bullshit you'll run across, you'll still do awesome things, go awesome places and have a job that is untouched by 99% of the world.  Yes, some people get hosed more than others, but there is risk in all walks of life - you could not do the AF and risk wanting to suck start a shotgun every day you drive in an hour of traffic to get to your shitty cubicle job you thought for sure would be a great career after finishing college.  So, don't get discouraged by anything you read here, continue to work your ass off (as you clearly have been) and get a pilot slot.  It will be awesome and you'll never regret the decision - even if you say "fuck this place!" and leave at 10 years.

• Upvote 4