IFS now IFT

Headed to IFS (now IFT) next week.  Looking to see if there are any differences since the name change or if it just sounded better?  Heard that changing it from screening to training came with some differences.

Also, any last minute prep info would be helpful. (Other than knowing bold face/ops limits cold)

Thanks

-Murch

After completing UCT and IFS I can tell you that IFT/IFS is a mock setup of how challenging UPT/UCT/RPT training will be. I'm glad I went through IFS, it was an eye opener to how a undergraduate flying program works. My fellow compadres who had their PPL had a rude awakening when they were stood up at attention in front of their peers to do a stand up EP (emergency procedure). They also didnt wake up at 0330 to get ready for a 0430 brief and fly at the crack of dawn. IFS/IFT will most likely suck, like it does for most people. Look at your endeavor as something that will help prepare you for your future training.

P.S. stay away from the ice cream machine unless you wanna pack on a few pounds while your there, also volleyball is the best stress reliever. I highly recommend playing with your buddies when you can. 

Edited by CDAWG

I have no idea how they changed IFS (or IFT) but bottom line, study your butt off!

One of my buddies in my OTS class was one of the very first to not go to IFS because he had a PPL. He did just fine in UCT and now flies B-1s. Same goes for another dude I went through OTS with...0 flight hours but was a natural. Did just fine in IFS and he was #2 in my UCT class then washed back for personal reasons. The class he washed into wasn't happy because they knew he was taking one of their coveted Strike Eagle slots. Another guy SIEd out of IFS with 0 flight hours. I also knew someone else who had a commercial license and 300+ hours and washed out of UCT. Another guy in my OTS & UCT class was an airline pilot and is flying F-15Es now too. It can go in so many different ways, there's no telling. I think it's how you can handle the stress. 

Anyways, learn the local flying procedures and ask one of the IPs (who isn't busy) to go out to one of the airplanes in the hangar and go over checklists with you. I never did that while in IFS but I wish I had. In UCT I had some of the IPs go through checklists with me though. It certainly helps especially if you have very little flight experience. Half the battle was knowing where the buttons were and which ones I should be pressing next and why. The other half was figuring out where I was going and comms. I had a cheat sheet with the radio calls on it because I had never done anything like that before. Get someone to chairfly those radio calls & checklists with you. That'll also help out so much. Good luck!

Thank y'all for the information.  It will definitely help.  I only have 4 hours going in to it right now. Just looking forward to getting there and getting a good base knowledge.  I heard its 4 weeks that you do not want to do again, but that as long as you bust your ass while there they will help you (to an extent of course). Then again, some people say it was a blast.  

Thanks again,

-Murch 

The change from IFS to IFT was driven by the new Commander of AETC.  He felt that the syllabus and intent of IFS was too inflexible and that (essentially) people who were on the ragged edge of being successful were being washed out because the IFS policy did not allow the school to give them the extra ride or two (i.e., a little additional training) to enable them to succeed.  It was a waste of the AF's time and money to wash them out.  That policy change reduced the emphasis on "screening" and increased the emphasis on "training".  That doesn't mean you can stay and fly forever, and it is still a screening program, but it does mean that now if the IP thinks you can pass with just a little more opportunity to train/practice, the school is allowed to give you a ride or two to prove it.  If you do, you continue, if not you wash out.  Other than that policy change, the school is still the same.  The change in title from IFS to  IFT was meant as a signal of the change.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for the feedback.  I am a little nervous to start next week having very minimal prior experience, but I am ready to get started.  Hopefully I wont need the additional training and I can pick up on it quick. We will see in about a month.

Thanks,

-Murch

Thank you for the feedback.  I am a little nervous to start next week having very minimal prior experience, but I am ready to get started.  Hopefully I wont need the additional training and I can pick up on it quick. We will see in about a month.

Thanks,

-Murch

Good luck.  Just remember that it's usually not the actual flying that causes people problems, it's not studying enough to know what you're supposed to be doing.  Study the departure and recovery procedures for each runway, where radio calls need to be made and what they are, required altitudes in the pattern and in transit to/from practice areas.  How can you fly a smooth airplane if you don't know where you're going?  ...and show up with Ops Limits and Bold Face emergency procedures thoroughly memorized EXACTLY as they are in the examples!!!

I'd argue it's a step back from the intent of IFS.  Wasn't the origination of this entire movement to save money down the road?  That if you can't hack IFS, then you probably can't hack UPT and let's save the AF some bucks by not sending you just to wash out.  Now that we're helping the "slow swimmers" what the difference?  If we're out to help everyone, shut the whole program down and funnel the cash back into UPT.  My $.02

Same with the push for more aviators out of the Academy.  The root cause was they had to return pilot slots to AFPC *gasp* and maybe some extra ROTC guys got their dream job.  I'd much rather fly with someone who has worked their ass off to get a slot, then a dude who had to be "motivated" to take a pilot slot.  It's not my job to motivate you.  It's my job to instruct a motivated individual.

• Upvote 2

I don't think USAFA needs to motivate cadets to choose a pilot AFSC. As a matter of fact there are more that choose rated than get slots.

I also think IFT is still doing most of what it was designed for. Those that go there and discover:
A. they don't actually enjoy flying

B. don't have the aptitude for it

C. Can't handle the training

will leave (or be forced to leave) before UPT.

I don't believe that the little extra "hand holding" during IFT is going to have an overall detrimental effect on the UPT grad rates.

Edited by A man for all seasons
  • Upvote 3

I don't believe that the little extra "hand holding" during IFT is going to have an overall detrimental effect on the UPT grad rates.

No, but the hand holding at IFT coupled with the increase in hand holding at UPT certainly does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think USAFA needs to motivate cadets to choose a pilot AFSC

Maybe things have changed, but I remember several dudes I was at UPT with who needed prodding by Academy leadership to take a pilot slot.  One guy in my class said he said "no thanks" multiple times before they pretty much just "broke" him and he took the slot.  Maybe things like that have decreased and that's good, but I bet it still happens to some extent.

Everything old is new again...I went through the NIFT (navigator initial flight training) at a local flight school back in '05.  My understanding of the difference between IFT and IFS was that IFT was designed to give you some small amount of flight experience and familiarity with aviation, while IFS was a screening program designed to identify and eliminate candidates who were likely to fail out of UPT/UNT before they cost the military too much money and time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the helpful info y'all.  Just checked yesterday!  Headed back to home station today. Next up SERE then UCT. Glad to be out of the good ole DA-20. :drinking:

Congrats! I was happy to leave that place too. The DA-20 was a fun little airplane but I wouldn't want to go through that again.

You're probably done with or close to being done with SERE. I really enjoyed SERE (except for the RT labs haha) I had a really good time out in the field and it helps that my element & instructors were awesome. Good luck in UCT!

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 11:09 PM, euro2005 said:

Congrats! I was happy to leave that place too. The DA-20 was a fun little airplane but I wouldn't want to go through that again.

You're probably done with or close to being done with SERE. I really enjoyed SERE (except for the RT labs haha) I had a really good time out in the field and it helps that my element & instructors were awesome. Good luck in UCT!

I went through the Nav portion back in 2009. Im probably going to have to go back through again when/if i go to UPT. I'm not looking forward to it.