First Class Medical

I hold a PPL and as such was required to get a third class medical. However, as someone interested in pursuing  a career in military aviation I understand I'm going to have to pass more rigorous physical test and screenings. Would getting a first class medical prior to any board dates/interviews be worthwhile? I suppose it would at least show I can past the more strenuous civilian tests. 

I hold a PPL and as such was required to get a third class medical. However, as someone interested in pursuing  a career in military aviation I understand I'm going to have to pass more rigorous physical test and screenings. Would getting a first class medical prior to any board dates/interviews be worthwhile? I suppose it would at least show I can past the more strenuous civilian tests. 

how much does a first class medical typically cost?

• 9 months later...
On 8/20/2015 at 8:09 PM, nunya said:

100 to 150.

How similar is a civilian FC1 compared to the FC1 you need to pass to fly for the AF?  Are they both about equal in terms of how strict they are?  Thanks.

Without comparing actual standards, my gut says they're not even close.  Lots of airline dudes would never pass an AF FC1, especially when you consider the number of AMEs around airline hubs that specialize in keeping guys flying.

FAA Class 1 is a joke compared to the still pretty easy-to-achieve FC1. You're gonna be looking at around $100 and a couple hours. Try to find the doctor the pilots around you use. Most FBOs will have a card or a name of a trusted doc.

Edit: Spelling. (Online Bachelor's)

Edited by FishBowl

It's good to have the FAA 1st Class Medical, because it will let you get through the AF FC1 faster. Me and 1 other guy had the FAA 1st class and were released Tuesday at like 10 AM, whereas everyone else had to stay for the rest of Tuesday and maybe into Wednesday. 

On 6/4/2016 at 5:24 PM, bb17 said:

It's good to have the FAA 1st Class Medical, because it will let you get through the AF FC1 faster. Me and 1 other guy had the FAA 1st class and were released Tuesday at like 10 AM, whereas everyone else had to stay for the rest of Tuesday and maybe into Wednesday. 

This is good to know. Do you recall how it sped things up, specifically?

I also heard recently that you could go to Wright-Patt as a civilian to get the FC1 and just say you're a pilot candidate. can anyone confirm this

5 hours ago, hookemTX93 said:

This is good to know. Do you recall how it sped things up, specifically?

I also heard recently that you could go to Wright-Patt as a civilian to get the FC1 and just say you're a pilot candidate. can anyone confirm this

I'm not sure on the details, but normally as part of the FC1 they issue you the FAA 1st class medical I think, so if you already have that then it is less work for them. I'm not sure exactly what extra work they do for the 1st class, other than you put it on your FC1 application paperwork, and that they told me "you already have your 1st class so you're good to go". That's kind of strange though because my 1st class was quick and easy at my local airport whereas the FC1 is pretty invasive, so I'm sure what benefit the 1st class is to them.

Also I highly doubt that you can just show up like that. FC1 physicals tend to be booked up about 1 or 2 months or more into the future so you really have to work with a recruiter to get it set up and scheduled in the future. It is a lot of paperwork and coordination to make it happen. Also, when you show up, the nurses have a package with all your paperwork prepared, so that's something that definitely takes them some lead time to get ready.  

On 6/6/2016 at 4:11 PM, hookemTX93 said:

On 6/6/2016 at 9:32 PM, bb17 said:

I highly doubt that you can just show up like that. FC1 physicals tend to be booked up about 1 or 2 months or more into the future so you really have to work with a recruiter to get it set up and scheduled in the future. It is a lot of paperwork and coordination to make it happen. Also, when you show up, the nurses have a package with all your paperwork prepared, so that's something that definitely takes them some lead time to get ready.  

This.  You need to have already passed MEPS, and have a supporting memo from your recruiter or gaining Unit (somebody has to pay for lodging, tickets, etc, and confirm you're not just wasting everyone's time).

On 6/4/2016 at 11:26 AM, FishBowl said:

FAA Class 1 is a joke compared to the still pretty easy-to-achieve FC1.

On 6/4/2016 at 10:03 AM, nunya said:

Without comparing actual standards, my gut says they're not even close.  Lots of airline dudes would never pass an AF FC1, especially when you consider the number of AMEs around airline hubs that specialize in keeping guys flying.

I don't want to say it's a much tougher or stricter standard, but ... it's a much tougher and stricter standard.  Look at the Aviation Medicine thread.  There are many posts of folks getting DQ'd or needing waivers for otherwise minor conditions that wouldn't be any concern to civilian aviation.

• Upvote 1