F-16s collide at Nellis

12xu2a3x3

Uggg... that sucks. Hope it wasn't pilot error.

Agree about the suck part and am definitely they're both safe.

But why do you hope it wasn't pilot error vs a maintenance problem (for example)?  Don't get me wrong, the witch hunt that can occur after a mishap can be hell for the aircrew, especially if it was pilot/aircrew error.  But humans are very fallible, unfortunately, and I'd feel better knowing that a couple of well trained pilots possibly made a mistake, etc vs having severe maintenance problems with our aircraft, which would lead to the question of are there more problems with our other aircraft?  Are they safe to operate?

Sometimes us aircrew guys lose sight of the bigger picture when mishaps occur, which makes sense because it's easy for us envision it happening to us.  I guess I'd be more concerned if we had problems with our aircraft vs accepting the fact that as humans, who perform a very challenging job in a very dynamic environment, we can make mistakes/have momentary lapses in judgement.  Fortunately we'll have the SIB to tell us what happened and what we can do prevent similar future mishaps.  

Beers to to the life support/mx folks who made sure their seats/life support equipment were good to go.

• Upvote 1

Agree about the suck part and am definitely they're both safe.

But why do you hope it wasn't pilot error vs a maintenance problem (for example)?  Don't get me wrong, the witch hunt that can occur after a mishap can be hell for the aircrew, especially if it was pilot/aircrew error.  But humans are very fallible, unfortunately, and I'd feel better knowing that a couple of well trained pilots possibly made a mistake, etc vs having severe maintenance problems with our aircraft, which would lead to the question of are there more problems with our other aircraft?  Are they safe to operate?

Sometimes us aircrew guys lose sight of the bigger picture when mishaps occur, which makes sense because it's easy for us envision it happening to us.  I guess I'd be more concerned if we had problems with our aircraft vs accepting the fact that as humans, who perform a very challenging job in a very dynamic environment, we can make mistakes/have momentary lapses in judgement.  Fortunately we'll have the SIB to tell us what happened and what we can do prevent similar future mishaps.  

Beers to to the life support/mx folks who made sure their seats/life support equipment were good to go.

I was thinking it could be a blown tire caused by something that no one could foresee. 

No worries, my "jump to conclusions" mat is safely stowed. I seriously doubt it was one of my bros that hit the other. I just haven't been able to talk to either of those bros yet. I hope all is well. I wonder if they're still going to show the second Monday accidents clip next week at RF? That one always makes me cringe.

I wonder if they're still going to show the second Monday accidents clip next week at RF? That one always makes me cringe.

yes they will. At a flag a couple years back, a jet pancaked between the runways and burned. It sat there for the entire flag. That's one hell of a visual reminder.

I was thinking it could be a blown tire caused by something that no one could foresee. 

Valid point.  My original point was more of a general one with regards to mishaps:  Severe maintenance problems usually concerns me more than pilot/aircrew error.  

Buddy Spike:  Sorry to hear that.  Prayers going his/her way and to their families. 

Wait for the SIB, First reports all have one thing in common "THEY'RE WRONG".

Edited by Prosuper
Grammar Nazi's

yes they will. At a flag a couple years back, a jet pancaked between the runways and burned. It sat there for the entire flag. That's one hell of a visual reminder.

The Aug 2009 Red Flag an AWACS crashed on the inside runway after shearing off the nose gear on landing.

Wait for the SIB, First reports all have one thing in common "THERE WRONG".

It's THEY'RE, and you're wrong.  The 24 hr status msg/ one-liner will state nothing more than the facts.  On XXX 2 F-16s collided on rwy, acft destroyed (or whatever the status of the aircraft is), 1 crew injured"  (or whatever they can fit in the twitter-length one-liner character limit).

The one-liner is not privilege information, so it shouldn't contain anything other than facts.  The SIB or ISB will release the 24 hr status msg, which contains nothing more than a verbose version of the one-liner, and after that each status msg (10-day and 30-day) will be approved for release by the owning NAF (for a Class B) or the MAJCOM (for a Class A). 

In the near recent past, any Class A involving CAF assets has been investigated by ACC, regardless of AFRC or ANG status of the mishap unit(s). 

It's THEY'RE, and you're wrong.  The 24 hr status msg/ one-liner will state nothing more than the facts.  On ### 2 F-16s collided on rwy, acft destroyed (or whatever the status of the aircraft is), 1 crew injured"  (or whatever they can fit in the twitter-length one-liner character limit).

The one-liner is not privilege information, so it shouldn't contain anything other than facts.  The SIB or ISB will release the 24 hr status msg, which contains nothing more than a verbose version of the one-liner, and after that each status msg (10-day and 30-day) will be approved for release by the owning NAF (for a Class B) or the MAJCOM (for a Class A). 

In the near recent past, any Class A involving CAF assets has been investigated by ACC, regardless of AFRC or ANG status of the mishap unit(s). 

Having been on a couple ISB's now, I can say that command post may take liberties with their initial message release. If it isn't being screened by an FSO (it definitely should be), there may very well be some privileged info in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...