17D (Cyber) trying to change over

wbm5

Good morning! I've got a 17D (Cyber) AFSC which I was pulled into instead of pilot because "the AF needs cyber, not another pilot." When I applied in 2012, I had all the numbers according to my CC, but any and all electrical engineers were barred from admittance. So I'm trying again, but I'm fairly unsure of my chances given the AF's perceived need for cyber. I'm in the 2013 year group, which is not critically manned for cyber (go figure) and have been told pilot is critically manned. My other stats are as follows:

AFOQT: 82
PCSM: 55
Undergrad GPA: 2.9
Awards: 2014 CGO of quarter (SQ, Group, CHQ levels), 2015 CGO of quarter (Sq, Group level), #2/5 Lts (Sq), #2/16 Lts (Gp)
Letter of Recommendation: 11 AF CD (in chain of command)

When I took my TBAS, I submitted 2 hours of flight. I now have 7 and am working steadily towards my PPL. I should have it by the time I apply in November. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Have they tried to make the cross recently? How did their data match up to mine? Sorry if I'm asking too much, I just like solving for all the variables. I still plan on applying regardless, but it'd be nice to get an idea of what to expect based on numbers vice conjecture...

• 3 weeks later...

Have they tried to make the cross recently? How did their data match up to mine? Sorry if I'm asking too much, I just like solving for all the variables. I still plan on applying regardless, but it'd be nice to get an idea of what to expect based on numbers vice conjecture...

Hey dude, I'm a 13S (Space Dork) right now trying to do the same thing as you.  I applied last year with no luck, we have pretty similar stats.  This board is insanely competitive and from what I gathered, I think the PCSM is the single most important statistic they look at.  RPAs are just short of a guarantee on this board.  Last year I didn't elect to go to RPA training on the application, but about a month after the results dropped, I was asked by AFPC if I wanted RPAs.  I was able to turn it down without prejudice and apply again this year for pilot.  Not sure what the quotas are for pilot this year or any year for that matter but just be weary, there is a ton of super qualified dudes out there.  Keep flying and get that PCSM up is the best advice I can offer.  Now that's coming from a non-select so take it for what it's worth... 

Keep building hours, and working towards improving your PCSM score.  I assume PCSM scores still take into account AFOQT scores?  If so, you can retake the AFOQT if needed.

I was picked up on a board in the early 2000's.  It seemed like that a lot of the guys who were selected on that board were on their last shot before they ran into limits on total amount of commissioned service, or age.  It gave me some hope that the powers that be took an extra look at the guys who were on their last shot.

That said, that attitude may have been limited to that board, so who knows.

• 1 month later...

I'm also a space guy, was wondering, I can't start a new forum cause an error pops up when I try to validate my account, if I should get my PPL. I have a 77 PCSM, brand new 2d LT, as of last December, and am applying for pilot again. The thing is, I'm currently stationed in North Dakota where the nearest flight school is 2.5 hours away. so getting my PPL will be really expensive and tedious with my work schedule. I currently have 62 hours and my leadership is on board with me applying. Also did not need any waivers for my FC1 medical exam. I know getting a PPL will always help your chances but just wondering if with my PCSM and medical if its necessary. Any further discussion on this would be appreciated.

Just ask yourself: if you DONT get your PPL, then subsequently DONT get picked up, are you going to regret it? No one can answer that question but you

On the flip side, if you do get your PPL and are subsequently picked up (or even if you aren't picked up), are you going to regret spending the time and $?

I think you would regret not getting it much more than taking the time and money to get it finished, regardless of the board outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've got 62 hours already, then I'm guessing you're somewhat close to being done with your PPL?

I know there are places out there that will work with you to get you finished over the course of a long weekend, or several days during the week.  Might be worthwhile looking for a flight school somewhere that will help you knock it out.  Might take burning a week of leave or so, but seems like it would be worth it.

Here's one example:

https://www.americanflyers.net/about/pilot_rating_finish_up.htm

Same boat as you guys trying to make the switch. Currently doing the RPA thing. I have an 88 PCSM with 49 hours mostly from IFS but no PPL. Don't have time to finish the PPL before the deadline but I was wondering if you guys think it will hurt me much? Anyone know how much emphasis they place on the PPL and if all the previous selects had one?

I know for a fact that dudes got picked up last year without a PPL.  However, you'll find the vast majority of Pilot selects on the AD board have their PPL or are already rated (CSO, RPA, ABM).  An RPA dude with an 88 PCSM, I think you have a pretty solid shot, got me beat.  Totally shooting from the hip though, its just what I've gathered trolling results the past few boards.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the replies! I was able to retake my AFOQT and get my PPL before submitting and went in with the following:

AFOQT: 98 (15 pt increase)
PCSM: 87 (32 pt increase)

Undergrad GPA: 2.9
Awards: 2014 CGO of quarter (SQ, Group, CHQ levels), 2015 CGO of quarter (Sq, Group level), #2/5 Lts (Sq), #2/16 Lts (Gp)
Letter of Recommendation: 11 AF CD (in chain of command)

Should I have any warm fuzzies on this? Or expect to continue on in my career field? I appreciate any help/insight that could be given and I'll continue to update as time progresses for other people looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2015 at 9:03 PM, argo said:

unfortunately I was forced to apply for all rated due to my medical waiver (eye surgery)....optimistic they don't offer me RPA...

Whoa, what? You have to apply for all? I might've made a mistake on mine... They replied that they didn't find any errors in mine. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Where'd you see that you had to apply to all?

8 hours ago, wbm5 said:

Whoa, what? You have to apply for all? I might've made a mistake on mine... They replied that they didn't find any errors in mine. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Where'd you see that you had to apply to all?

hrm...I can't find the article release on myPers stating that (I'll need to look at the hardcopy I printed out...if I can find it)...anyways I originally applied for only Pilot, and then I called AFPC to check if they received my application, and the maj said he received it and but I needed to apply for all--I checked that myPers article and it was right, so I resubmitted the 215 (aircrew data summary).

I find it strange though, that I can search any 2015 UFT PSDMs and notifications but nothing on 2016 UFTs. I read the official release of the 2015 UFT boards, and in it they said you are unable to decline an assignment offer without prejudice (i.e. if you got offered RPA, and you reject it you can't apply again)...but I remember reading prior to applying that you can decline and STILL apply again...JFC, what a cluster if they offer me RPA and I reject. well good luck to you!

This year they didn't release info about the board via PSDM, they used the "Announcements for Airmen" on MyPers.  Feature sucks because they disappear after a while, convenient...  Here's the excerpt, 

NOTE 2: Any applicant who requires a non-medical ETP or who has applied to a UFT Selection Board twice previously must volunteer for all categories and apply for medical qualification for all categories. Declination of any training offered will render the applicant ineligible for all future UFT boards.

The way I read it, a medical waiver does not fall under the exception in Note 2.