American Express - Platinum Card

I have the American Express Platinum Card. I highly recommend it if you go TDY a lot or do a lot of personal travel. They will waive the annual fee ($450) for active duty military just by simply filling out their online form:

American Express SCRA

It has a ton of benefits. My favorite perk is free access to The Centurion Lounge. My wife and I were able to settle in and get some free food and drinks before flying to Venice from Vegas. Additionally, it earns rewards points that you can use for just about anything you can imagine, from purchases on Amazon to trading points with Hilton, Delta, or many other travel partners. Some more benefits:

• Free Global Entry
  • $200 a year in statement credits for your choice of airline in-flight purchases (I chose Delta and got seat upgrades)
  • Free Boingo Wi-Fi
  • Immediate SPG Gold Status
  • Roadside assistance (up to 4 requests per year)
  • Airport lounge access for Centurion Lounge, Delta Lounge, Airspace Lounge, and free Priority Pass membership

Link to the card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/platinum

it appears like they have reduced the annual fee to $175. 

Edited by DFRESH

Dude in the squadron just did this about 2 months ago, no problems.  If you talk to someone who says no, they don't have any idea what they're talking about.  Hang up and call back to get someone else.  If only such thing worked so easily with all the non-support agencies on base.

• Upvote 1

Free cards for family, excellent extended warranty/accident protection and no international transaction fees are some additional perks. Has been my go-to card for a few years now. Bought $200 in United gift certificates the past two years. Never paid any interest or fee on the card.

I'm curious...I have a friend who has an AMEX Hilton HHonors Platinum, and whose account was treated quite nicely via the awesome AMEX SCRA implementation.  Said friend is no longer on AD, but AMEX doesn't know that.  If my friend wanted to switch to the straight up AMEX Platinum (not the Hilton branded one), would AMEX reverify military status or not?  If the choice is stick with the Hilton branded AMEX and have fees waived or switch to AMEX Platinum and have to pay the $450 annual fee, my friend would rather maintain the status quo.  Any insight is appreciated.

I'm about to change my AMEX Delta to an AMEX Delta Reserve card... I'll let you know if I have to reapply for the SCRA or if it transfers... As far as I can remember, I didn't have to re-up my SCRA when I switched my HHonors to HHonors Surpass....

Edited by DFRESH

I know a couple dudes who transferred to the Reserves and AMEX pulled SCRA from them, even though they're ARTs/full time (they had SCRA benefits for years prior while on AD).  They never said anything to AMEX, didn't try to add/change cards, change address, etc.  AMEX obviously does periodically check your AD status.

Not a problem I've had with AMEX, but USAA credit cards have tried pulling the "only on title ten orders" game with me.

Essentially had to "prove" I was on active duty.

That's another thing I like about the AMEX card, none of my other institutions give me anywhere near the level of customer service. They only needed a couple pieces of info like what meps I signed up at and they tracked it all down themselves. Chase and USAA etc, I've gotta go get memos and old ORBs and find a fax machine because," we can't accept email sir."

Big fan of the AMEX Platinum. I have both the personal and business versions of the card, so I can double up on the annual airline credit. 

The AMEX platinum is great for the benefits; but if you are looking to rack up extra points their Everyday Preferred card is better. 2-3x points per dollar at grocery stores and gas stations plus 50% bonus if you have more than 30 transactions per month. It is now my day to day card and the platinum card gets little use except for the benefits. 

• 2 weeks later...

Free cards for family, excellent extended warranty/accident protection and no international transaction fees are some additional perks. Has been my go-to card for a few years now. Bought $200 in United gift certificates the past two years. Never paid any interest or fee on the card.

Looking to do the same thing this year. How long did it take to get reimbursed from AMEX?

• 1 month later...
Amex platinum now = HHonors Gold. Which makes me slightly question the need for my HHonors card.

6x hhonors points on gas, groceries, and dining. Most of the bloggers value them at .5 cents each so that's 3% back, which is pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk