DQ from Taking FC1 after passing MEPS

Hello everyone,

So recently I was selected by a AF reserve unit as a candidate for their upcoming pilot board. After a few months of talking to a recruiter I took the MEPS physical. I was told I passed by my recruiter and the MEPS doctors, and that he would go ahead and start the process with getting my FC1 scheduled. About a month later my recruiter called me and told me that the AF surgeon generals office disqualified me from even taking the FC1 due to my hearing being out of H1 limits at the 6000hz frequency in my left ear. Besides that I have no medical issues and my vision is 20/40 in both eyes. I just can't believe that I would be denied from even taking the physical. Here are my hearing results:

Freq. 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k

Left. 10. 20. 25. 25 30 50

Right. 10 5. 10. 5. 15. 10

I know that it's asymmetric hearing loss at the 6k hertz level, but once you pass OTS they don't even test on that frequency anymore and you can be dropped to a H2 profile. If there is anyone with any advice on where I can go from here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Read this. Every branch is different. If your H2 you can try Guard and get waiver.

Theres a thread with several selects who talk about getting waivers, Its not letting me copy and paste but just

Google "Hearing information (H1,H2,H3, testing, waivers)"

Hello everyone,

So recently I was selected by a AF reserve unit as a candidate for their upcoming pilot board. After a few months of talking to a recruiter I took the MEPS physical. I was told I passed by my recruiter and the MEPS doctors, and that he would go ahead and start the process with getting my FC1 scheduled. About a month later my recruiter called me and told me that the AF surgeon generals office disqualified me from even taking the FC1 due to my hearing being out of H1 limits at the 6000hz frequency in my left ear. Besides that I have no medical issues and my vision is 20/40 in both eyes. I just can't believe that I would be denied from even taking the physical. Here are my hearing results:

Freq. 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k

Left. 10. 20. 25. 25 30 50

Right. 10 5. 10. 5. 15. 10

I know that it's asymmetric hearing loss at the 6k hertz level, but once you pass OTS they don't even test on that frequency anymore and you can be dropped to a H2 profile. If there is anyone with any advice on where I can go from here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You have both H2 and asymmetry. You have 2 potentially disqualifying conditions. Asymmetry is 2 frequencies with a 25+ dB difference. Read the waiver guide linked in my sig.

I personally believe it's bogus to deny off that, but it's not my call. I recommend you consider getting an audiology consult on your own dime. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to try and apply to a guard base near me. I was also told by someone it's all on the needs of the AF so more waivers if less pilots, and less waivers if too many. I can only assume a lot of guys who were active duty want to still be a part of the AF and switch to reserve or guard, means less slots for off the streeters like myself.

I also was a little shocked that the unit who selected me, couldn't help out more. I'm not exactly sure of the actual reach of the individual units when it comes to medical issues. But I'm only 22 so I guess I'll keep trying to appeal their decision.

Also @deaddebate, thanks for the insight. I definitely have a few more questions that I will PM you.

Thanks!

Do I need to correct my vision to 20/20 during MEPS in order to qualify for FC1/MFS? 

Or can I update my prescription for FC1 as long as I pass accession standards in MEPS?  I'm just not sure if my new prescription would come in time for MEPS that's why. 

Well, no but technically yes.  You don't need 20/20 to pass MEPS, and MEPS doesn't have the full Optometry capability to determine potential correctability to 20/20 with the correct lenses for your most current refractive error.  To be scheduled at WPAFB for a FCI, you also technically don't need to have it, and the AF will give you the lenses as a normal benefit / coverage, but it may become a sticking point.  Anyway, it'll all be much easier if you just have it from the beginning though.  And you may want to accomplish a civilian exam yourself to demonstrate that you are correctable rather than putting up with some potential administrative hurdles and headaches.

Again, you don't need to actually have the glasses, but just documentations showing the manifest refraction prescription to get you to 20/20.

Well, no but technically yes.  You don't need 20/20 to pass MEPS, and MEPS doesn't have the full Optometry capability to determine potential correctability to 20/20 with the correct lenses for your most current refractive error.  To be scheduled at WPAFB for a FCI, you also technically don't need to have it, and the AF will give you the lenses as a normal benefit / coverage, but it may become a sticking point.  Anyway, it'll all be much easier if you just have it from the beginning though.  And you may want to accomplish a civilian exam yourself to demonstrate that you are correctable rather than putting up with some potential administrative hurdles and headaches.

Again, you don't need to actually have the glasses, but just documentations showing the manifest refraction prescription to get you to 20/20.

Makes sense. 

Didn't know you just needed the prescription to get me to 20/20... everything I've seen stated you usually conduct the vision tests (color, depth, etc.) with corrective lenses during FCI.  Good to know though.

Thanks as always!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you wear glasses during the test?  Even if you don't need glasses to manifest to 20/20, glasses may help and become required for flying duty.  You'll probably need a Defective Depth Perception waiver.  You may need to accomplish an independent Optometry/Ophthalmology evaluation for further scheduling and processing.  Talk to your Officer Accession Recruiter.